Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This makes me want an Acura MDX Sport!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 04:53 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The interior of the MDX leaves much to be desired, IMHO.
Old 07-28-07, 05:26 AM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8
Old 07-28-07, 09:01 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My beef with the new Acura SUVs is a simple aesthetic one:

What's the deal with the big flared wheel arches and the ridiculously
skinny wheels with high offsets? Perhaps they've fattened the wheels
up a bit on this Sport model, but the standard MDX and RDX look horrid
when I see them on the road. The wheels are lost on these rigs!

I suspect a nice wheel/tire combo with proper wheel offsets would make
the stance much more aggressive...
Old 07-28-07, 09:17 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where's the Infiniti?
Old 07-28-07, 09:28 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
My beef with the new Acura SUVs is a simple aesthetic one:

What's the deal with the big flared wheel arches and the ridiculously
skinny wheels with high offsets? Perhaps they've fattened the wheels
up a bit on this Sport model, but the standard MDX and RDX look horrid
when I see them on the road. The wheels are lost on these rigs!

I suspect a nice wheel/tire combo with proper wheel offsets would make
the stance much more aggressive...
You are talking about stock rim/wheels? That is the first thing anyone serious about performance and look get rid of...on any car.

If I have a preference, I would buy any car without wheels and tires because I want forged alloy rims and extremely light weight yet sticky tires with carbon fiber sidewalls.
Old 07-28-07, 12:07 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
You are talking about stock rim/wheels? That is the first thing anyone serious about performance and look get rid of...on any car.

If I have a preference, I would buy any car without wheels and tires because I want forged alloy rims and extremely light weight yet sticky tires with carbon fiber sidewalls.
Not necessarily...some cars even come with OEM BBS, OZ, etc. I like to change the suspension first but thats just me.

anywho, carbon fiber sidewalls?? Does such a thing exist???
Old 07-28-07, 12:45 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Few cars and no SUV come with those brands, they are limited to top of the line performance coupes such as the turbo version of Suburau WRX, non-turbo version get the run-in-the-mill alloy rims.
Have you check out Goodyear DriverEdge? Carbon Fiber on the outside sidewall. It is available for more than over one year ago and of course, no OEM wants to pay addition $ for it since the main function of OEM installed tires is to get the buyers out of dealers' door.
http://www.goodyear.com/media/pr/23267ti.html
Carbon fiber is a substance that is strong and lightweight, is used to help dampen vibrations, and it resists abrasion. As a woven composite fabric, it is increasingly used in high-tech race cars and jet planes, even in rockets and satellites.

In the new Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology, the outboard sidewall of the tire is reinforced with a high-tech carbon fiber insert that helps provide stiffness for responsive handling and steering precision. Combined with conventional tire construction on the inboard sidewall, the Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology helps deliver a smooth, comfortable ride.
Old 07-28-07, 01:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would you want to change the wheels and tires on this below?

Here is the same rubber burning.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYjbxX85Trc
Attached Thumbnails This makes me want an Acura MDX Sport!-bm2007x520112522.jpg  
Old 07-28-07, 01:20 PM
kit cat

Few cars and no SUV come with those brands, they are limited to top of the line performance coupes such as the turbo version of Suburau WRX, non-turbo version get the run-in-the-mill alloy rims.
Have you check out Goodyear DriverEdge? Carbon Fiber on the outside sidewall. It is available for more than over one year ago and of course, no OEM wants to pay addition $ for it since the main function of OEM installed tires is to get the buyers out of dealers' door.
http://www.goodyear.com/media/pr/23267ti.html

wow, i learn something new everyday.
Old 07-28-07, 01:27 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Would you want to change the wheels and tires on this below?

Here is the same rubber burning.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYjbxX85Trc
How much torque is used to make the very first turn? How much braking performance is degraded because of these massive rims? If one does not think about these factors and burn rubber with OEM rim/tires, well, I think we all know a few names that are not allowed to be posted here.

RX300's OEM rim weight 26 lbs mounted on an average of 8" moment arm.
For an AWD like mine, that is 104lbs x 0.75 ft or ~78 lbs-ft of torque one must overcome during acceleration and deceleration, before a single ounce of payload is moved/stopped.

I upgrade to SSR Competition 18x7 forged alloy rims, each one weight 15.5lbs. Do the math and you will see what I mean.

Rim/tire upgrade gives three major benefits in one mod: improve effective power deliver at the wheels, improve brake performance, improve appearance with a customize look. Can anyone think of another mod that do all three?

The reason is simple physics: less rotational mass, less energy needed to make wheels turn/stop, that energy can be used to move/stop payload or saved.
If one just drive like moms, you get better mpg and longer brake pads life. That saving alone can offset a large portion of the cost of the upgrade.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-28-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 01:34 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im allergic to Acura.
Old 07-28-07, 01:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How much torque is used to make the very first turn? How much braking performance is degraded because of these massive rims? If one does not think about these factors and burn rubber with OEM rim/tires, well, I think we all know a few names that are not allowed to be posted here.

RX300's OEM rim weight 26 lbs mounted on an average of 8" moment arm.
For an AWD like mine, that is 104lbs x 0.75 ft or ~78 lbs-ft of torque one must overcome during acceleration and deceleration, before a single ounce of payload is moved/stopped.

I upgrade to SSR Competition 18x7 forged alloy rims, each one weight 15.5lbs. Do the math and you will see what I mean.

Rim/tire upgrade gives three major benefits in one mod: improve effective power deliver at the wheels, improve brake performance, improve appearance with a customize look. Can anyone think of another mod that do all three?

The reason is simple physics: less rotational mass, less energy needed to make wheels turn/stop, that energy can be used to move/stop payload or saved.
If one just drive like moms, you get better mpg and longer brake pads life. That saving alone can offset a large portion of the cost of the upgrade.
I guess performance must truly be degraded

Performance
Drag coefficient 0.35 Cd
Top speed 150 mph
Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.4
Braking 60-0 121ft
Fuel Consumption
City/Highway 15/21 mpg
What are the numbers on your RX with oem wheels and the Acura at hand?
Old 07-29-07, 12:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I did not realize BMW X5 V8 is in the discussion, doesn't BMW charges $55K just for the base model and close to 70K loaded. If you want my opinion on those tree branch/snow flakes looking rims, I believe they are only appropriate for Christmas
Here is a picture posted by an X5 4.8 owner in another thread. It is a good shot of the tree branch, oh, that gap in around the fender is courtesy of BMW's build quality According to the owner, he can't get better than 10.5mpg.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...21#post2802721

Anyway, I am not really comparing between brands/models, all I am saying you can get improvement with look, performance, and mpg by using better aftermarket rims/tires. I can not tell you how much MDX's OEM rim weight because I don't owe one. But MDX rims is made of alloy material and not the light weight yet strong forged alloy, there is room for improvement, such as getting better mpg, way better than 10.5 mpg

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-29-07 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 07:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Dynamically, I think the MDX is probably the superior SUV in it's segment right now.

Other than that, the awkward exterior styling, cheap interior quality, rhaspy V6, so/so gas mileage, and spaceship wood grain aren't really cutting it for me.

Cheap interior quality? Have you seen the interior quality in the L-finessed Lexii? Now, thats cheap. Acura's interior and build quality improved dramatically with the new RL and new MDX, you should go see for yourself.
Old 07-29-07, 07:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
where's the Infiniti?
Infiniti doesn't make anything to compete with the MDX, and neither does Lexus. The FX and RX are way too small and useless compared to the MDX, while Qx and GX are truck based.

Quick Reply: This makes me want an Acura MDX Sport!