Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This makes me want an Acura MDX Sport!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 11:27 AM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This makes me want an Acura MDX Sport!

http://www.acura.com/content/MDX/Lea...MDX_eprint.pdf

According to this, it performs better than all of the competitors. Even the fit & finish is on par with Lexus and BMW.

Check it out: Greatest skidpad grip. Highest lane-change speed. Second-quickest sprint to 60 mph. Best driving position. Best back-seat comfort. Lightest curb weight. Steering and brake feel that were tied with the BMW's. A ride as cushy as the Benz's. And a fun-to-drive rating equaled only by the Cadillac's. All of that for the lowest as-tested price.
Old 07-27-07, 11:38 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so why does it look so angry then?

Seriously, Acura's got a real winner here, if not for the ugly front.
Old 07-27-07, 11:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

It scares me every time I see one on the road. Looks like a cowcatcher on the front.
Old 07-27-07, 11:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I love the looks of the new MDX.. They revised the whole car and finally made a better and visual dual exhaust out back.. Way to go Acura..
Old 07-27-07, 12:03 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

everytime i see one it reminds me of optimus prime
Old 07-27-07, 12:07 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
OK, so why does it look so angry then?
I kind of like the new grille. The meaner the better.
Old 07-27-07, 12:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynamically, I think the MDX is probably the superior SUV in it's segment right now.

Other than that, the awkward exterior styling, cheap interior quality, rhaspy V6, so/so gas mileage, and spaceship wood grain aren't really cutting it for me.
Old 07-27-07, 12:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Dynamically, I think the MDX is probably the superior SUV in it's segment right now.

Other than that, the awkward exterior styling, cheap interior quality, rhaspy V6, so/so gas mileage, and spaceship wood grain aren't really cutting it for me.
Bingo. At 40k, I think its great. At 50k, no thanks. The SH-AWD really helps with handling and dynamics.
How about a V-8 sometime this century?

Old 07-27-07, 12:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

see at least 2-3 new MDX everyday now
Old 07-27-07, 12:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, transformer that is...
Old 07-27-07, 01:10 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats cool but for some reason when I look at the MDX I just dont see a $50,000 vehicle. The same could go for the Toureg and Volvo as well IMO.
Old 07-27-07, 01:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Thats cool but for some reason when I look at the MDX I just dont see a $50,000 vehicle. The same could go for the Toureg and Volvo as well IMO.
if you sit in the other ones that are similarly loaded as a 50k (fully loaded) MDX, you can say the same thing this doesnt feel like a 60-70k vehicle
Old 07-27-07, 01:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drive the Acura MDX then the BMW offerings then get back to us.
Old 07-27-07, 01:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is an assessment from someone who drove the vehicle. From another forum.

X3 vs. Acura RDX & MDX vs. Lexus RX350 vs. Cadillac SRX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test drove all in the last few days, and here are impressions:

- Cadillac not as bad as I expected, but also much less roomy than expected. Sits high and ceiling is low. Feels big, but handles well. V6 makes lots of noise, but doesn't move the car very well. Touch screen nice. Like the panoramic moonroof.

- Lexus RX350 very well put together. Very luxruious. Sereen. Floats. Steering feather light. Good quality interior materials. First rate navigation system. Nice room, except that rear seat headroom not very much. Seat cushions too short: not enough support under knees. Every luxury feature imaginable. Could fall asleep driving it, it's that easy to just glide along. Bumps in road very well isolated from cabin. Quiet. Like 18-year Scotch: Smooth. Has that funky toyota/lexus leather new car smell that's not very pleasant. Dealership a nice place to relax and watch sports on the big plasma TVs while hanging out with the gentile crowd.

- Acura MDX a big disappointment. Feels minivan big when driving, yet interior space doesn't feel noticibly larger than smaller RDX. Seating position high. V6 moves the car well enough, but doesn't sound very refined doing so. Headliner and sun visors feel plasticky and cheap. Button overload on hard plasticky dash painted fake aluminum. Front sport seats w/perforated leather very comfortable. Rear seats cramped and row cannot be moved back. Too much comfort in back is sacrificed for inclusion of 3rd row. Load height at rear to high.

- Acura RDX surprisingly fun to drive. Feels like a featherweight. Very tossable and quick. Tight steering ratio. Turbo 4 engine surprisingly powerful, but sounds like a Civic. Interior actually more comfortable than larger MDX. Still has same cheap plasticky dash button overload and cheap plasticky headliner and sun visor material. For $36K if I was on a tigher budget, I'd probably go with it over all other vehicles above. Still, fit and finish on some interior elements of car I test drove was surprisingly poor, such as leather stitching on steering wheel. Rear seat headroom not too good.

- X3 (Sport & Premium Package w/19" wheels) that I test drove was a completely different story than all other vehicles... First impression was just that getting in was easier than other others due to more car-like ride height. Surprisingly good headroom in rear seat, thanks to panoramic moonroof section that extends over rear seat (others above had reduced rood heigh above rear seat due to short moonroof. Easiest to install and remove our Graco Step 2 child seat, too; less climbing needed. Quality of interior materials SO much classier than others: leather is thicker, plastics more rubbery, wood and aluminum nicer looking. Controls so much simpler. Beefy, soft leather steering wheel a joy to hold. Handling and acceleration SOLID. Engine creamy smooth. Steering effort heavier (good). Even with 19" wheels and sport pkg, ride was not too harsh on poor roads. Only complaints: no option for electrically-closing rear hatch; and no factory option for rear-seat entertainment system.

Looks like we'll be buying an X3
Old 07-27-07, 02:48 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I don't see the MDX as a $50K car either, it's impossible to get a MDX for $50K you can't say the same about the other cars in the test. You can option a MDX for is $48K and you should take 10% off that with negotiating top MDX is ~$44 or $45K (+TTL) with every option and you can walk out with a no-option MDX for under $40K. ALso BTW a no option MDX had about $5K of equipment that would be options on a ML for example.

the MDX is rated TOP PICK for the safest SUV on the crash tests.

I woulld not call the gas mileage so-so (I think it's fine) I'm getting 18.5 to 19 mpg over-all, which isn't that bad, I don't think any 300hp SUVs are getting better.

Its true the style and the button crazy dash are not the best. But as an over-all package it's hard to beat.

The middle row of the MDX is smaller than I'd like they did steal from Peter to pay Paul. The third row is very small but it's OK for what we need it for but nowhere near as roomie as a minivan.

Last edited by rai; 07-27-07 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: This makes me want an Acura MDX Sport!