Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan testing in-car breathalyzer(Concept Car Shows Anti Drunk-Driving Technology)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 07:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Nissan testing in-car breathalyzer(Concept Car Shows Anti Drunk-Driving Technology)

Is Lohan & Paris's next car a Versa ?

Nissan testing in-car breathalyzer

In a potential bid to corner the celebrity market, Nissan is developing an in car Breathalyzer. In equipped cars, the system is activated when the key is switched to "on," requiring the driver to blow into it before the engine will start. If the blood alcohol level is determined to be above a preset limit, it disables the vehicle's ignition. No word on what Nissan's plans for the system are or how long the vehicle would remain disabled, so keep it away from your hilarious drunken friends.
via jalopnik
Old 07-27-07, 09:51 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't some states mandate you install these in your vehicle if you are a repeat DUI violator?
Old 07-28-07, 02:56 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Don't some states mandate you install these in your vehicle if you are a repeat DUI violator?
Yeah, my mom's co-worker had one put into her car. Funny thing was one morning on her way to work she could not get her car to start because of that thing. She wasn't drunk or hungover or anything like that, but it detected from her breathe Listerine and I guess that was enough to not allow the car to start.
Old 07-28-07, 07:08 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup, Listerine, like many mouthwashes contains something like 14% alcohol, so the system was just doing its job. She might switch to one of the newer brands that do not contain alcohol. Besides, they taste a WHOLE lot better!

I can't help recalling the scene in "Butterfield 8" where Elizabeth Taylor casually brushes her teeth with Scotch. You want a REAL wake-up call, just try it. Let's see, you abrade your gums, then pour nearly 50% alcohol into the wound while continuing to brush vigorously. EEEYYYOOOOWWWW!

In Texas, a judge has the option of requiring such an interlock device be installed on a repeat DUI offender's car, but it is very seldom made a part of the sentence. There is legislation in the Texas Legislature as well as in the Legislatures of Illinois and South Carolina that will make installation of one of these devices mandatory for ALL convicted of DUI - even first-offenders. The proposed laws claim that an automobile is a "lethal weapon" that cannot be entrusted to those who cannot control their consumption of alcohol, or lack the decision-making ability to refrain from driving when impaired. I think the latter case would apply to most of us.

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-28-07 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 03:33 PM
Koma

Or we could be more responsible drivers.
Old 07-28-07, 04:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If these things become widespread, I could see someone developing something that would give a false breath (masking).
Old 08-03-07, 10:00 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Nissan Concept Car Shows Anti Drunk-Driving Technology

Press Release:

CONCEPT CAR TO SHOWCASE ANTI DRUNK-DRIVING TECHNOLOGY

TOKYO (August 3, 2007)--Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. has revealed a new concept car featuring multiple preventative features designed to help reduce drunk driving. Presently integrated on-board a production model Fuga sedan, the various technologies are designed to detect the driver's state of sobriety and to activate a range of preventive measures including immobilization of the vehicle.

Alcohol Odor Sensors

1. A hi-sensitivity alcohol odor sensor is built into the transmission shift ****, which is able to detect the presence of alcohol in the perspiration of the driver's palm as he or she attempts to start driving. When the alcohol-level detected is above the pre-determined threshold, the system automatically locks the transmission, immobilizing the car. A "drunk driving" voice alert is also issued via the car navigation system.

2. Additional alcohol odor sensors are also incorporated into the driver's and passenger seats to detect the presence of alcohol in the air inside the vehicle cabin. When alcohol is detected, the system issues both a voice alert and a message alert on the navigation system monitor.

Facial Recognition System

A camera is mounted on the instrument cluster facing the driver to monitor the driver's face. The system is calibrated to monitor the driver's state of consciousness through the blinking of the eyes. When the system detects signs of drowsiness, a voice and message alert is triggered via the navigation system. Additionally, a seat-belt mechanism is activated which tightens around the driver to gain his or her immediate attention.

Driving Behavior

By constantly monitoring the operational behavior of the vehicle (e.g. sensing if the vehicle is veering out of its driving lane), the system can identify signs of inattentiveness or distraction in the driver. When the system detects such behavior, voice and message alerts are issued via the navigation system. The seat-belt alert mechanism is also activated, tightening around the driver to gain immediate attention.

This concept car was developed as an exploratory platform to showcase breakthrough technologies that could potentially be applied in future production cars, part of an ongoing program from Nissan contributing towards the prevention of drunk driving.

Nissan has already launched and is developing several initiatives to help prevent drunk driving. In June, the company introduced the "drunk driving" message alert on its navigation system. In July, Nissan also began testing of a new on-board breathalyzer system in cooperation with several local government authorities, where an interlock mechanism will immobilize the vehicle if the driver's breath indicates the presence of alcohol above a specified level.

Nissan is taking holistic approach towards safety that extends beyond the technology built into its vehicles. To achieve a "safe driving environment", Nissan has embarked on the Intelligent Transport System Project (ITS) in Kanagawa Prefecture - aimed at helping to reduce road accidents via the analysis of traffic data collected from on-the-road vehicles and traffic beacons. In Japan, the company's safety vision is to halve the number of traffic fatalities or serious injuries involving Nissan vehicles by 2015 compared with the level in 1995.

*source
http://jalopnik.com/cars/i-love-you%...ech-285674.php

Wow! That's pretty damn impressive to say the least.
Old 08-03-07, 10:29 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny camera, honestly the system that Lexus is using in the LS probably could work like something that Nissan wants too do.

Bad thing is that technology would think I am constantly drunk, my eyes are usually pretty closed all the time seeing, I am tired 24/7 lol
Old 08-03-07, 11:33 AM
LexFather

I personally think you have to be drunk to drive a Nissan anyway.

I kid I kid!!!

Old 08-03-07, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I personally think you have to be drunk to drive a Nissan anyway.

I kid I kid!!!
So if you're sober you drive Infiniti? j/k.

About the "new technology", can't you like have someone else blow for you?
Old 08-03-07, 11:58 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is pretty scary stuff.

Shame on Nissan.