Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX 350 vs MDX. Help me advise my Mother

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 08:19 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My logic always tells me to get the most current car out there if I am cross shopping few cars.

Although RX is super nice and it set the benchmark when it came out it's about to be replaced by better and newer RX very soon.

MDX is a new vehicle on the market and like every new vehicle it offers something new that outgoing model or it's "halfway trough its life cycle" competition doesn't.
Old 07-29-07, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by enigma888
The RX is loved by soccer moms and other young hip moms everywhere...its is extremely convenient and comfortable, plus has easy spots to store a purse as well.
It is also loved by men who value details and luxury.

Originally Posted by leedogg
"I'm pretentious and believe you should buy vehicles for their status symbol"
Then everyone would drive Kia Sorento's. Deal with Reality.

Originally Posted by Och
Please, most people don't even consider the RX and ES to be a real Lexus. They are both Camry based, and simply don't drive or feel like a real Lexus does.
That is so false and ridiculous its almost sad to read it.

Your mom can't lose either way btw, MDX or RX. Neither is a "manly" truck, whatever the hell that is.

Old 07-29-07, 08:41 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I'd go with the MDX for now. When the new RX comes out, I'd go with that (likely). The only reason I like the MDX over the RX, currently, is style (new for the Acura, OLD for the Lexus) and the interior is one of the nicest I've ever seen in any vehicle. I REALLY love the MDX interior. However, I'm sure I'll have a different opinion after I see the new RX.

If she can wait for the new Lexus, than wait. If she's impatient, go for the MDX. I think that would currently be a more rewarding experience - for now...
Old 07-29-07, 09:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I disagree. There's far more reasons for buying a nicer brand/model of car than the status symbol. I can assure you of that because that reason isn't even on my list of priorities when car shopping, yet I often prefer the cars that the 'premium' brands offer. I've always said if I COULD buy a Lexus or Audi or Acura or whatever and get the exact same car and exact same service and exact same resale value, but have the parent brand badge on the hood, I would. Why? Because I hate people assuming that I bought a car to impress people. I didn't.

When I bought my GS400 I was barely out of highschool. I probably could have impressed a whole lot of my friends and family by bragging about it, but instead I never mentioned it. If somebody asked what I drove, I just said 'a nice Toyota'. If somebody saw my car (pretty much the only way they would know what I drove), I did my best to downplay the "L" and just talk about the merits of the car itself, such as the nice drivetrain, well constructed interior, refined chassis, etc...
I would always make a point to mention it was made by Toyota, too.

Because that's how I see it. I hate the uppity image that "L" has associated with it. That's one thing I like about this Audi actually - it seems they don't have much of an uppity image associated with them, so I rarely ever get people assuming things about why I bought the car and whatnot.
Old 07-29-07, 12:39 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wrong. A vehicle should be evaluated for its own merits. The MDX is probably the best vehicle in its class right now - price, value, features, and performance. The other guy seemed to have beef with it simply because its an Acura as evidenced by his other posts on this matter "I'm allergic to Acura" wtf?

Last edited by leedogg; 07-29-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-29-07, 05:20 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong. A vehicle should be evaluated for its own merits. The MDX is probably the best vehicle in its class right now - price, value, features, and performance. The other guy seemed to have beef with it simply because its an Acura as evidenced by his other posts on this matter "I'm allergic to Acura" wtf?
Don't worry. Forums have evolved. Most of the time, biased opinions are as invisible as banner ads.
Old 07-29-07, 06:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Please, most people don't even consider the RX and ES to be a real Lexus. They are both Camry based, and simply don't drive or feel like a real Lexus does.
In Jan-June '07, 89,639 people considered the RX and ES to be real Lexus', that's how many were reported sold.
Old 07-29-07, 06:22 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
My mother is torn between a 2008 RX 350 and a 2007 MDX. The difference in price is $2400 more for the RX. Both are equally equipped with nav and everything else. I feel the RX is better, but I want some more info/backup. Thoughts??
If the MDX is cheaper and IMO it's as good as th RX plus it's seats 7 (may not need that but it's not bad to have). Plus the MDX is newer and has a better AWD system.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but this is a Lexus forum and half the people are saying to get the MDX what does that tell you?

Anyway we LOVE our MDX it's the best SUV/Van I have ever owned and I have owned a lot.

I can't say much about the RX tho because I didn't look at it since we only looked at 7-passanger SUVs.

Last edited by rai; 07-29-07 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-29-07, 08:38 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone!!!! I appreciate all the info and thoughts.

While I was impressed with the amount of vehicle you got with the MDX, I still prefer the RX. Plus, she really doesn't need the extra space.

In the end I suggested the RX, and she was relieved as that is what she wanted as well! Her main reason......the ride. She wants the undeniable, Lexus ride.

Looks like she'll be going to sign the deal tomorrow.

Old 07-29-07, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
I disagree. There's far more reasons for buying a nicer brand/model of car than the status symbol. I can assure you of that because that reason isn't even on my list of priorities when car shopping, yet I often prefer the cars that the 'premium' brands offer. I've always said if I COULD buy a Lexus or Audi or Acura or whatever and get the exact same car and exact same service and exact same resale value, but have the parent brand badge on the hood, I would. Why? Because I hate people assuming that I bought a car to impress people. I didn't.

When I bought my GS400 I was barely out of highschool. I probably could have impressed a whole lot of my friends and family by bragging about it, but instead I never mentioned it. If somebody asked what I drove, I just said 'a nice Toyota'. If somebody saw my car (pretty much the only way they would know what I drove), I did my best to downplay the "L" and just talk about the merits of the car itself, such as the nice drivetrain, well constructed interior, refined chassis, etc...
I would always make a point to mention it was made by Toyota, too.

Because that's how I see it. I hate the uppity image that "L" has associated with it. That's one thing I like about this Audi actually - it seems they don't have much of an uppity image associated with them, so I rarely ever get people assuming things about why I bought the car and whatnot.
Yes I know this. Your talking to someone who totally DEBADGED his GS 400
I think your point about Audi is well taken and some of its appeal to me. Its just not popular and well-known to the general public, even though they make great vehicles.
On the contrary if they have a better "image" they would sell like hotcakes in America.
Then is not a problem Acura needs to solve? Lexus still has image problems, there are some that refuse them.

To discount "image" is ridiculous, it maybe anti-enthusiast but few people that buy luxury cars really are. No one here, in this thread has said the MDX is a poor car, on the contrary, it is a fantastic vehicle. You cannot dismiss the fact his mother would just prefer to be in a "Lexus". Such is life. You have some who would just get a ML b/c it is a "Mercedes-Benz" and those that buy a RR b/c its a "Range Rover".

Old 07-30-07, 04:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

"I'm pretentious and believe you should buy vehicles for their status symbol"
That's exactly what salespeople want to hear. Once they know you are hooked and are willing to pay for the marque, it's $$$$$$$ time.
Old 07-30-07, 04:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
In the end I suggested the RX, and she was relieved as that is what she wanted as well! Her main reason......the ride. She wants the undeniable, Lexus ride.

Looks like she'll be going to sign the deal tomorrow.

Congragulations....a wise choice.

A vehicles's ride is something you will have to live with every time you get in, start the engine, and put it in gear......my philosophy is that you might as well be comfortable. The ride on the 2008, however, will be a question mark (?) compared to the 2007.....recent Lexus redesigns have had a tendency to go to lower-profile tires and slightly stiffer suspensions.

I also highly recommend SCRATCH-OUT to keep the paint like new. PM me with your mailing address if you want a small, complementary bottle sent to you.
Old 07-30-07, 06:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Both great vehicles, but quite different.

RX is VERY pleasant, functional, comfortable. We had the first gen and still miss it.

MDX is the more 'sporty' vehicle, with better handling as well as more room and loads of gadgets, and a more 'brawny' (almost Dodge-Like) look.
Old 07-30-07, 03:39 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Shouldn't people just get a loaded Honda Pliot instead of the MDX then? Arent they close in value, features, & performance? Acura... lets be serious, they dont even have a real flagship. Maybe everyone should drive Hyundais, a Sonata has more value, features, & performance than a BMW 525i .
Old 07-30-07, 04:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Kid 300
Shouldn't people just get a loaded Honda Pliot instead of the MDX then? Arent they close in value, features, & performance? Acura... lets be serious, they dont even have a real flagship. Maybe everyone should drive Hyundais, a Sonata has more value, features, & performance than a BMW 525i .
have you even seen the new MDX? its a far different machine than a pilot now, it wasnt before

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs MDX. Help me advise my Mother