Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX 350 vs MDX. Help me advise my Mother

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 08:32 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell her to enjoy the "Lexus" ride while it lasts. Like Cadillac, Lexus is beginning to build BMWs. The GS was the first to get the Japanese axe (compare the interior and ride of the previous GS to the current cold, hard, plasticy GS), and even the LS stiffened-up a bit. I bet the next LS rides exactly like a BMW 7-Series or Audi A8.

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Thanks everyone!!!! I appreciate all the info and thoughts.

While I was impressed with the amount of vehicle you got with the MDX, I still prefer the RX. Plus, she really doesn't need the extra space.

In the end I suggested the RX, and she was relieved as that is what she wanted as well! Her main reason......the ride. She wants the undeniable, Lexus ride.

Looks like she'll be going to sign the deal tomorrow.

Old 07-31-07, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Tell her to enjoy the "Lexus" ride while it lasts. Like Cadillac, Lexus is beginning to build BMWs. The GS was the first to get the Japanese axe (compare the interior and ride of the previous GS to the current cold, hard, plasticy GS), and even the LS stiffened-up a bit. I bet the next LS rides exactly like a BMW 7-Series or Audi A8.
Sad but true. You will also notice a significant drop in ride comfort between the 2006 and 2007 ES....something I have talked about a number of times.
Old 07-31-07, 08:39 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mmarshall
recent Lexus redesigns have had a tendency to go to lower-profile tires and slightly stiffer suspensions.
...a big mistake. Sure, they're earn the respect of Earth's 5% of driving "enthusiasts" - but they'll disappoint 95% of their customers who buy Lexus' for that ultimately luxurious driving experience.

I know this won't always be the case. People who buy cars mainly for themselves can/will appreciate the stiffer rides. These are probably people buying the IS and in some cases, the GS. I can understand, to an extent, the harsher rides in these vehicles.

However, people buying the ES, LS and the SUVs expect luxurious rides as they're carrying people in their vehicles. They want what's most comfortable for their passengers - who don't give a P.O.S. how fast the vehicle can zip up and down an on/off ramp or hang with an M5 on the autobahn.
Old 07-31-07, 08:40 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
have you even seen the new MDX? its a far different machine than a pilot now, it wasnt before
I think he was just messing around...
Old 07-31-07, 08:42 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sad but true. You will also notice a significant drop in ride comfort between the 2006 and 2007 ES....something I have talked about a number of times.
We should start a discussion and get as many people together to show how many people appreciate Lexus' softer ride as opposed to it's new BMW philosophy. If I want a BMW, I'll buy a BMW. Same for Cadillac. I'm a traditional Cadillac enthusiast and my favorite brand isn't leaving me any good choices lately. Now, neither is Lexus.
Old 07-31-07, 08:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Lexus cars ride nothing like their German counterparts.. Have you driven said cars?
Old 07-31-07, 08:49 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lexus cars ride nothing like their German counterparts.. Have you driven said cars?
I've driven everything from Rolls Royce to Hyundai.

You're right. They don't drive like BMWs yet... But they will.. I watched it slowly happen to Cadillac.. Their cars VERY slowly but surely turned into BMWs. If you think it can't happen, think again.
Old 08-11-07, 08:43 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I wanted to have another Lexus, I liked the MDX much more!

Old 08-11-07, 09:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The problem with Honda/Acura is that they use recylced metals to build their cars. In turn, the cars rust in places where water collects (the wheel wells) because it is almost impossible to remove all of the impurities. Subaru used to do the same until 1993, which is why cars like the Legacy have pattern rust spots up until that year. My dad's Prelude rusted after 3 years. He was devastated.
Old 08-11-07, 09:50 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The problem with Honda/Acura is that they use recylced metals to build their cars. In turn, the cars rust in places where water collects (the wheel wells) because it is almost impossible to remove all of the impurities.

My dad's Prelude rusted after 3 years. He was devastated.
this is complete nonesense.

Acura has the same rust warranty as Lexus 5-years unlimited.

I'm sure by you're assertion therefore Honda/Acura is replacing their cars under rust warranty. I'd love to see you provide a link to your claim.

Also the Prelude hasn't been sold in the US since 01 so I'm assuming you are referring to a 90s vintage Honda to paint the 07/08 Acura lineup.

How do you figure that it's impossible to remove impurities from recycled metal?

I have a 03 S2000 (waiting for it to turn into a pile of rust).

Last edited by rai; 08-11-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 10:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I figured this day and age, even Lexus, Mercedes, etc use some sort of recycled metal. At the rate cars are selling, I doubt we have enough fresh metal.
Old 08-11-07, 11:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rai
this is complete nonesense.

Acura has the same rust warranty as Lexus 5-years unlimited.

I'm sure by you're assertion therefore Honda/Acura is replacing their cars under rust warranty. I'd love to see you provide a link to your claim.

Also the Prelude hasn't been sold in the US since 01 so I'm assuming you are referring to a 90s vintage Honda to paint the 07/08 Acura lineup.

How do you figure that it's impossible to remove impurities from recycled metal?

I have a 03 S2000 (waiting for it to turn into a pile of rust).
Sorry don't have a link, my info. comes directly from a buddy of mine, a Honda salesman. Why would Honda extend their warranty for rust protection when they know that there is a problem? There in the business to make money, not lose it. That would be nonsense.

Next time you see a Legend, an early gen. TL CL, or RL, a mid 90's Accord or Civic check around the wheels for rust. You'll find that most share a common rust pattern, augmented by the rubber gaskets in the wheels. The gaskets trap the water, metal impurities do the rest. CL's have it really bad

Now Im no chemical engineer or metal refiner so I couldnt begin to tell you the first thing about metal impurity removal. But, when Subaru made the change to pure metals you can clearly see where the rust stops. The Legacy was refreshed in '93. The '90-'92s rust. The 93's+ don't.

Id make sure that S2000 of yours is kept in the garage and off salty roads.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_188660/tm.htm
Now here's a problem I didnt know about. Apparently Hondas also have a tendency to rust around the sunroof. Impure metals.
Old 08-11-07, 12:08 PM
rai
Lead Lap

^ that car is rusted so bad it almost looks as if it has been in an accident on that area ()

the cars you are talking about are about old, the Legend was last sold in 95 they're nearing 15 years old now. I fail to see what that has to do with the current Acura/Honda products.

Last edited by rai; 08-11-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 12:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rai
I fail to see what that has to do with the current Acura/Honda products.
Well I didnt say that they rust instantly now did I? A ten year old car shouldnt rust. A fifteen year old car rusting is a bit more acceptable. And when you have a whole line of cars rusting that is what I call a problem of quality.

Rusty cars isnt an issue all that much anymore and yet Honda can't get it right. So when your S2000 is 10 years and the rust begins to form you'll be okay with this? Cause I don't see first gen. LSs, ESs, SCs, etc. with rust problems.

I would pretty toed if I had to repair this.
Old 08-11-07, 12:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't trust a salesman's word when it comes to the actual building process. If you would like clarifications on this, I can direct you to a friend of mine who works at Honda Corporate. Feel free to take up on this offer.

The only time I've ever seen a newer honda rust is on my mother's 2005 Honda Odyssey. But the rust on the wheel well is there because of an accident we had, and the body shop did not take care of the problem (going to get it fixed soon).

A buddy of mine on this forum has a 93 honda accord with 180k miles and he has no hints of rust. I use to have a 92 legend with 155k miles that never had rust either. However, my dad's 1993 camry is already starting to rust.

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs MDX. Help me advise my Mother