Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota establishes "Committee to create interesting cars"

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
they had an "interesting car" the MR2, now they have no sports cars.
Yes....and when did the MR2 reach its best potential? Just like I said in my last post....the second-generation, early-mid 90's one. The third-generation car that superseded it and was dropped in 2005, though fun to drive on a nice day, was a toy in comparison, at least in stock form.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-07 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-31-07, 01:04 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....and when did the MR2 reach its best potential? Just like I said in my last post....the second-generation, early-mid 90's one. The third-generation car that superseded it and was dropped in 2005, though fun to drive on a nice day, was a toy in comparison, at least in stock form.
**puts on flame suit**

I've always considered the MKII MR-2 turbo a better sports car than the Supra... especially the post 1996 245hp (JDM) version.

Not saying that it has more power potential or anything, but in terms of being a sports car, IMHO it is a better platform.

The last MR-2 spyder needed a 2ZZ in the back or a snail on that 1ZZ
Old 07-31-07, 02:23 PM
LexFather

This press release was useless.

Old 07-31-07, 03:49 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This press release was useless.
Well at the very least it gives us the helpless fans yet another thread to voice our opinions in hope that someone at Toyota/Lexus is actually reading/listening.

Oh and bring over to Daihatsu Copen to compete with the MINI Convertible, please!
Old 07-31-07, 06:07 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No big deal....and the answer is so simple you don't even need a committee for it.

Just go back to the Toyotas the company was building 10-15 years ago....in the early-to-mid 90's. With a couple of exceptions, IMO they were some of the best Toyota products ever done, in styling, interiors, comfort, and quality of materials. IMO, many Toyota-designed products since then have been considerably cheapened or plagued with geeky styling (the Corolla excepted), especially in the quality of their interiors and trim.
You're equating "best made" with "interesting"... I don't know.
However, I do agree with you about the diminished quality (interior is just one area). In the mid 90's I heard that Toyota started loosening the tolerances for their suppliers, saying that they were over-engineering the parts (to Toyota's specifications). The best example of this prior practice is the stellar 2JZ-GTTE. I have read in either C&D or Automobile that Toyota is recognizing the problem exists. What they will do about it is another matter. Judging by VW interiors (gone way down in quality of the materials since 2001, IMO), there may be pressure on established companies from new, hungry automakers (especially as China's auto production comes of age) to "cheapen" things.

We'll see...
Old 07-31-07, 08:43 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No big deal....and the answer is so simple you don't even need a committee for it.

Just go back to the Toyotas the company was building 10-15 years ago....in the early-to-mid 90's. With a couple of exceptions, IMO they were some of the best Toyota products ever done, in styling, interiors, comfort, and quality of materials. IMO, many Toyota-designed products since then have been considerably cheapened or plagued with geeky styling (the Corolla excepted), especially in the quality of their interiors and trim.
You got that nailed. Toyota has some nice interior designs (current Solara coupe for example) but the exterior style doesn't quite match. What they think is sporty isn't what the public thinks is sporty.

I'm kinda surprised that people actually want a Camry SE (which is a good start I suppose esp. since it's a Camry and not a sports car) but they need to go further than that.

And please improve the quality. It has been slipping a bit.

The problem (if they make a nice sports car that we want) is that the safety personnel (and the buying public I suppose) will want all the safety equipment - ABS, 6 airbags and probably TRAC/VSC). This adds weight. They can't use lighter materials because it's costs a lot and people don't seem to grasp the idea of paying more for a lighter car. All people want to see is if they pay more, they want more equipment. So the only way is to have a larger engine which increases weight even more.

Tell me why the NSX and Insight didn't do too well... both are fully aluminium yet people don't understand that. All they do is see "oh, a V6 in a supercar? I ain't paying for that" blah blah blah but yet it's more fuel efficient and yet just as fast.

<end rant>