Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's In a Brand Name? (Does the badge matter??)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 08:09 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What's In a Brand Name? (Does the badge matter??)

Would Lindsay Lohan be more popular if she changed her name to Oprah? Or would things be even worse if she opted to go by Osama, instead?

Just how important is a name in obtaining acceptance and avoiding failure?

According to a new study by CNW Marketing Research, a name is vital, and to prove the point, CNW did some moniker-switching to learn whether consumers held a vehicle in high or low regard based on its brand name.

It held a variety of consumer clinics using the Chevy Cobalt and Scion xB as examples. In addition to showing the cars with their true names, it switched badges to see what, if any effect, brands had on consumer perceptions about quality and reliability and if the name had any impact on whether they held the car in high or low esteem.

The conclusion: name matters.

CNW found that when Cobalt carried its original Chevy badge, it rated 6.9 out of a possible 10 ranking. But when it carried a Toyota badge, the rating rose to 8.6. If, rather than Chevy, the Cobalt was labeled a Ford, the rating fell to 6.2 and if called a Chrysler to 6.1. Those who favor a return of Fiat to the U.S., take note. When a Fiat badge was put on Cobalt the approval rating sunk to 4.8.

When a Scion xB was rolled out carrying its Toyota badge, the rating was 8.4, but when replaced with a Chevy badge, the rating slipped to 6.3. Chevy shouldn't feel too bad: when a Ford badge was added on the xB to gauge reaction, the rating fell to 5.9 and Chrysler to 5.2. And Fiat fared poorest, with a 4.2.

One can only wonder what the outcome would have been if CNW tested a Yugo badge.

There are, obviously, explanations for this phenomenon. Poor quality among the domestic automakers in the '70s and '80s along with outstanding quality among the imports in the '90s, especially among Japanese brands like Toyota, has created a perception among consumers that if a car carries a Toyota nameplate, it is infallible.

While recent quality surveys among companies like J.D. Power and Associates have proved that domestic quality has made solid gains, and is comparable to that in most imports, it is difficult to change consumer perceptions.

"The problem for some brands can be traced to long memories and the lack of attention to detail in the past," said CNW general manager Art Spinella. "Squeeks or rattles in the '60s or poor paint in the '90s still haunts certain brands to this day. It took Toyota 15 years to establish its credentials."

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...in-a-bran.html
Old 08-01-07, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Perception is reality. Image not only counts for automakers but any business. Of course we have the few that argue it SHOULD not matter but that is in utopia, not on planet Earth.

It shows how much that badge is worth. Sometimes the badge does justify the image, it IS worth it. SOmetimes the badge just is a shield deflecting from crap being sold.

Old 08-01-07, 08:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope Toyota maintains this brand perception. Current problems with quality are killing their reputation...
Old 08-01-07, 10:28 AM
95gs300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a name does have a lot to do with a product, I would rather buy a car that says toyota then most other brands. Just like when I go to the movies if I don't like the actors in it I won't watch no matter how good the reviews are. I feel more comfortable in a name that I had a good experience with.
Old 08-01-07, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, Saab 9 series/ Suburu WRX, Saab SUV/ GMC blah blah blah.. the list goes on and on. I stay away from vehicles made in duplicate or triplicate. Same cars, pick your showroom.
Old 08-01-07, 11:49 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If any of the Lexus cars are badged differently, I wouldn't buy them...
yes, it DOES matter.
Old 08-01-07, 10:42 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Good question

If we know the actual cost it takes to build/make, that might explain the markup/profit margin.

Example, it costs a nike shoe about $6 to make, but marked up over $100

So in the case of a $300k phantom, imagine the profit
(Let's put aside all overheads, research and development, labors blah blah blah and just focus on the raw materials).
How much of it goes to the raw materials
Old 08-02-07, 06:31 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto. Rolls-Royce are hand built coachcars. They have to be meticulous and the fact that you can have it customised any way you want sweetens the deal and the price reflects that. Of course, it takes more time to do it by hand than by machines and an assembly line.
Old 08-03-07, 09:35 AM
LexFather

The more expensive the car, the higher the profit margins.