Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 11:26 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I'm too lazy to do it, can someone get on the Toyota Japan website and find out the price of this new V6 variant?
Old 08-02-07, 11:42 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

torque steer! torque steer! torque steer!!!
Old 08-02-07, 12:03 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Anybody notice they completely forgot to mention the weight? You hear Corolla and you think pocket rocket lightweight car with a powerful motor, but let's be realistic here... almost all the rest of Toyota's lineup has moved pretty much an entire size and weight class up from where it used to be only 5 years ago.

The rav4, which I think uses some derivative of the corolla chassis, is now the size of the old highlander, if not bigger (I haven't verified that, I am just basing that on my current rough observation/estimation)

I wonder what the chassis will be like though? There's only so much that tires and swapped modular suspension components can do to an existing chassis layout. I mean imagine if Lexus tried to make the LS460 compete with the M5 or something... it's just 100% impossible given the current chassis layout which is designed for reliable comfort over anything.

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I also think the 16-inch discs is a misprint/lost-in-translation, I mean you would need huge wheels to accomodate that. But if true, then that's a big deal.
A similar "translation issue" happened when the original dealer spec sheets for the LS460 were posted here in PDF format... they said something about 18 or 19" brake rotors which just wasn't at all realistic. I wonder what exactly the math issue is that's causing such poor translation in specs?
Old 08-02-07, 12:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
Anybody notice they completely forgot to mention the weight? You hear Corolla and you think pocket rocket lightweight car with a powerful motor, but let's be realistic here... almost all the rest of Toyota's lineup has moved pretty much an entire size and weight class up from where it used to be only 5 years ago.
If Car and Driver can get the Avalon Touring to go from 0 to 60 in 6 seconds FLAT with a 5-speed slushbox and a paltry 268hp 3.5L, I don't see what's there to worry about for a 280hp Corolla.
Old 08-02-07, 12:52 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
If Car and Driver can get the Avalon Touring to go from 0 to 60 in 6 seconds FLAT with a 5-speed slushbox and a paltry 268hp 3.5L, I don't see what's there to worry about for a 280hp Corolla.
Point taken, but ok... the Avalon does it in 6 seconds flat... is it sporty to drive? Does it make braking and handling better? Basically as these kind of cars go you want them to be light weight for a variety of reasons... not just all out acceleration.
Old 08-02-07, 12:52 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im reading that the blade weighs about 3200lbs for the 2.x liter version....
Old 08-02-07, 01:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

A regular Auris/Blade is about 1250kg, the V6 engine is about 80kg heavier.

I'd say it was roughly 1350kg at most.
Which is 2975lbs. Not quite a flyweight pocket rocket, but thats a little bit less than a Scion tC and 100hp more. If they give it a serious suspension, you can colour me impressed.

A Toyota awd system is about 120lbs more. So, potentially you could have a 3100lb awd, 3.5 V6 hatch....(less than the VW R32 and the Mitsubishi Evo RS). We are talking Evo IX levels of performance here... I say stick in the awd and ship it to this side of the ocean. A manual gearbox would be nice, but with great brakes and a sorted out suspension I could live without one.

p.s. I highly doubt it will have 16" brakes

p.p.s The weight differences were drawn using a Rav4 as a reference.
Old 08-02-07, 01:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Better yet, why not stick a sleek coupe body over this package, and bring back the celica-all trac

will go nicely with the AE86 remix....
Old 08-02-07, 01:32 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this should do good battle with the Mazdaspeed 3 here. but the mazda should outhandle the corrolla
Old 08-02-07, 01:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ba-b4
this should do good battle with the Mazdaspeed 3 here. but the mazda should outhandle the corrolla
If this Corolla had AWD, then the Mazda would be outhandled.
Old 08-02-07, 02:08 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
280hp corolla. Ditch the XRS trim and bring back the GT-S.
Amen to that!
Old 08-02-07, 02:09 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
AWD is generally more for traction while accelerating than it is for handling. Unless it's setup kinda like Acura's SH-AWD is, then the AWD system doesn't really do anything except maintain forward traction while accelerating at the limits, which, granted sometimes improves handling at the limits by letting you power your way out of a turn - but I think, especially with people who don't take their cars to the road racing course - handling will be much moreso defined as the chassis, suspension, tires, steering, etc.

3-series and consider an A4... most results say the 3-series handles superior to the A4, despite the A4 having AWD. But put both of them on a rain-soaked or snow covered track and watch the A4 have a field day with the 3-series.
Old 08-02-07, 04:55 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
mini coopers, mazda speed protege's, acura integra type R are all fwd. all outhandle subaru outbacks... awd don't mean shat! Toyota just doesn't have the handling down when it comes to chassis tuning, imho. whereas Mazda is known as the japanese BMW.
Old 08-02-07, 05:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

AWD is generally more for traction while accelerating than it is for handling. Unless it's setup kinda like Acura's SH-AWD is, then the AWD system doesn't really do anything except maintain forward traction while accelerating at the limits
Two companies come to mind. Audi and Subaru. Both have proven AWD technology that not only provides superiora acceleration, but improves handling drastically. I think theres a little more there than concern for maintaing traction.
Old 08-02-07, 05:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

AWD is generally more for traction while accelerating than it is for handling. Unless it's setup kinda like Acura's SH-AWD is, then the AWD system doesn't really do anything except maintain forward traction while accelerating at the limits, which, granted sometimes improves handling at the limits by letting you power your way out of a turn - but I think, especially with people who don't take their cars to the road racing course - handling will be much moreso defined as the chassis, suspension, tires, steering, etc.

3-series and consider an A4... most results say the 3-series handles superior to the A4, despite the A4 having AWD. But put both of them on a rain-soaked or snow covered track and watch the A4 have a field day with the 3-series.
A lot of cars offer improved handling though with AWD. The LS hybrid handles better than the LS460 partly thanks to AWD. The Audi RS4 in several comparisons has won against the M3, and in some cases been concluded to have better handling, again partly thanks to AWD.

AWD does not guarantee better handling, but in some cases it does help.

Originally Posted by ba-b4
mini coopers, mazda speed protege's, acura integra type R are all fwd. all outhandle subaru outbacks... awd don't mean shat! Toyota just doesn't have the handling down when it comes to chassis tuning, imho. whereas Mazda is known as the japanese BMW.
Mazdaspeed Proteges outhandle Subaru Outbacks? Well the Outback isn't exactly the sportiest model in Subaru's range, while the Mazdaspeed Protege is the sportiest Protege you can get. Compare a Mazdaspeed Protege to a Forester STi, it's another story.

And Mazda is known as the "Japanese BMW"? Since when ? I thought Infiniti was known as the "Japanese BMW"? Excluding sportiness, Mazdas don't have anywhere near the luxury, features, or technology to make them on par with BMW.

You shouldn't be so critical of Toyota; the Celica GT-S back in the day easily outhandled the Integra Type R of the day. The Celica GT-S in fact was one of the best-handling FWD cars ever made. And when the Gen 4 Supra came out in 1993, at the time it was one of the best-handling cars in the world, outhandling an NSX or RX-7.

The reason why (here in North America) we haven't seen good-handling Toyotas for a while now is not because Toyota "doesn't have the know-how", it's because Toyota chose to focus on more mainstream cars and to focus on other market segments.

Lexus has only recently begun to focus on high performance with the "F" sub-brand. With Lexus actually focusing on high performance, we will soon see how good the IS-F is, and in the coming year or two we will see how good the LF-A supercar will be.

When Toyota chooses to focus on building good handling, sporty cars branded as Toyota models, then we'll see some interesting stuff.

Mazda models today have good handling because Mazda chose to focus on sporty handling and chassis dynamics. While Mazdas have sporty handling, they lack quite a bit in many other areas ... areas which Toyota models excel at.

Quick Reply: JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)