Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 06:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting but the weight distribution might be a problem unless they make the front frame aluminium and the hood aluminium, then the rest of the car steel (sorta like the new TT).
Old 08-02-07, 07:09 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
A regular Auris/Blade is about 1250kg, the V6 engine is about 80kg heavier.

I'd say it was roughly 1350kg at most.
Which is 2975lbs. Not quite a flyweight pocket rocket, but thats a little bit less than a Scion tC and 100hp more. If they give it a serious suspension, you can colour me impressed.

A Toyota awd system is about 120lbs more. So, potentially you could have a 3100lb awd, 3.5 V6 hatch....(less than the VW R32 and the Mitsubishi Evo RS). We are talking Evo IX levels of performance here... I say stick in the awd and ship it to this side of the ocean. A manual gearbox would be nice, but with great brakes and a sorted out suspension I could live without one.

p.s. I highly doubt it will have 16" brakes

p.p.s The weight differences were drawn using a Rav4 as a reference.
Good points, and thanks for the additional information. Does anyone know the MSRP of these V6 Blades in Japan?
Old 08-02-07, 07:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They failed to mention the suspension stays the same and floats like a butterfly....I kid I kid!!!

This is a good move on Toyota's part
I actually used to somewhat agree with you before about high HP in FWD cars. For me though it depends on the car. I don't think a Corolla, or Civic, or any other small economy FWD car should have anywhere near 280 HP. If members here used to make fun of a car like the Acura TL with 258 HP with torque steer that actually handles pretty well, a smaller car like a Corolla with 280 HP is just crazy.
Old 08-02-07, 07:37 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Good points, and thanks for the additional information. Does anyone know the MSRP of these V6 Blades in Japan?
According to the official PR at www.toyota.co.jp, it starts from 2,772,000 yens = $23,243.76. Not cheap, but there's much more than simple currency conversion if this car were to sell in the US (usually ending up cheaper in the US).

http://www.toyota.co.jp/jp/news/07/Aug/nt07_040.html

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-02-07 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 09:30 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
A lot of cars offer improved handling though with AWD. The LS hybrid handles better than the LS460 partly thanks to AWD. The Audi RS4 in several comparisons has won against the M3, and in some cases been concluded to have better handling, again partly thanks to AWD.

AWD does not guarantee better handling, but in some cases it does help.

Mazdaspeed Proteges outhandle Subaru Outbacks? Well the Outback isn't exactly the sportiest model in Subaru's range, while the Mazdaspeed Protege is the sportiest Protege you can get. Compare a Mazdaspeed Protege to a Forester STi, it's another story.
And Mazda is known as the "Japanese BMW"? Since when ? I thought Infiniti was known as the "Japanese BMW"? Excluding sportiness, Mazdas don't have anywhere near the luxury, features, or technology to make them on par with BMW.

You shouldn't be so critical of Toyota; the Celica GT-S back in the day easily outhandled the Integra Type R of the day. The Celica GT-S in fact was one of the best-handling FWD cars ever made. And when the Gen 4 Supra came out in 1993, at the time it was one of the best-handling cars in the world, outhandling an NSX or RX-7.

The reason why (here in North America) we haven't seen good-handling Toyotas for a while now is not because Toyota "doesn't have the know-how", it's because Toyota chose to focus on more mainstream cars and to focus on other market segments.

Lexus has only recently begun to focus on high performance with the "F" sub-brand. With Lexus actually focusing on high performance, we will soon see how good the IS-F is, and in the coming year or two we will see how good the LF-A supercar will be.

When Toyota chooses to focus on building good handling, sporty cars branded as Toyota models, then we'll see some interesting stuff.

Mazda models today have good handling because Mazda chose to focus on sporty handling and chassis dynamics. While Mazdas have sporty handling, they lack quite a bit in many other areas ... areas which Toyota models excel at.
Your comment earlier that you can simply slap on awd on this corrolla and it'll outhandle the mazda speed 3. I just said nope not so easy slapping on awd doesn't automatically make a car handle better. Anyway an AWD drivetrain + a huge engine in the front of a tiny fwd based car doesn't sound too appetizing at all handling wise.

Okay yeah maybe Infiniti might be considered the japanese bmw but only because they're entry level lux. Mazda's still handle "better", compare an RX8 and a G35 and tell me which you think is a better handler. Other brands may have cars with high handling limits but amongst japanese makers only Mazda has that chassis tuning magic that BMW is known for. Mazda's just FEEL good when you drive them. That's why I called it the Japanese BMW. I also I don't think BMW has much over mazda in terms of technology. THey just got deeper pockets. It's not like Mazda couldn't make a super light weight, super high reving, exotic material version of their miata wrapped in luxurious leather and suede. It's just they don't have the $$$ and can't afford to risk selling something like that because the mazda brand name doesn't have the same cache as a BMW.
Old 08-02-07, 09:49 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4

Okay yeah maybe Infiniti might be considered the japanese bmw but only because they're entry level lux. Mazda's still handle "better", compare an RX8 and a G35 and tell me which you think is a better handler. Other brands may have cars with high handling limits but amongst japanese makers only Mazda has that chassis tuning magic that BMW is known for. Mazda's just FEEL good when you drive them. That's why I called it the Japanese BMW. I also I don't think BMW has much over mazda in terms of technology. THey just got deeper pockets. It's not like Mazda couldn't make a super light weight, super high reving, exotic material version of their miata wrapped in luxurious leather and suede. It's just they don't have the $$$ and can't afford to risk selling something like that because the mazda brand name doesn't have the same cache as a BMW.
you just started learning about cars ent it?
Old 08-02-07, 10:05 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They failed to mention the suspension stays the same and floats like a butterfly....I kid I kid!!!

This is a good move on Toyota's part
I was actually about to say this. The Corolla will last forever, but I hated driving the last generation Corolla. In fact, I've never ever liked driving one, I always preferred a Civic. 280 HP and the same suspension would be outright dangerous.
Old 08-02-07, 11:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default The V6 powered Toyota Blade hits the Japanese show rooms . . .

The V6 powered Toyota Blade hits the Japanese show rooms !

The Toyota Blade, luxury version of the Auris, saw a new element added to its lineup yesterday with the long awaited V6 version! Under the bonnet sits a 3.5 liter DOHC VVT-i V6 engine producing 280HP @ 6200rpm and 35.1kg-m @ 4700 rpm, this power being transmitted only to the front wheels (2WD / FF).

Even though many were expecting an All Wheel Drive version to support the extra power, Toyota decided to keep the Front Wheel Drive layout, as a result, many modifications were needed on the suspensions (specially tuned), brakes (16 inches diameter), 17 inches alloy wheels on 225/45R17 tyres and automatic 6 speeds gearbox.

The look of the Blade V6 was also modified with a slightly different front grille, logos here and there; leather steering wheel and shift ****, sporty and luxury interior (leather/alcantara)...

This new addition to the Blade line up is now available in Japan from 2.772.000 to 3.324.000 Yen, more news and detailled infos when we get our hands on it for a full review in the weeks to come!
via nihoncar

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-393-...to+go+%21.html
Old 08-03-07, 06:29 AM
Koma

Those look like RX tails
Old 08-03-07, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Those look like RX tails
And the RX400h wheels...
Old 08-03-07, 09:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Man, it's embarassing for us 2nd gen GS300. That thing can kill us easily
Old 08-03-07, 09:37 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Ok....this is a luxury hatch.

Send us a sport version with awd. Put that committee to use.

p.s. 16"brakes will not fit in 17"rims...unless they are 16" drums? lol
Old 08-03-07, 10:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Worldwide, Mazda is not the *only* Japanese maker known for chassis tuning magic. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all have their own reputations for making an incredible chassis. And another thing, the FEEL of the car doesn't always mean it's a great handling machine. A Civic might *feel* good when you drive it, but that doesn't mean it's a super handling machine.

Wait, you just said that Mazda was known as the "Japanese BMW" and that they had among Japanese automakers that "chassis tuning magic". So according to you, they do have the rep to sell a super-sporty exotic car. Mazda has never really been known for super reliable engines, so even if Mazda did have the money, I would definitely be interested to see a super high revving engine from them.

Robarapta, thanks for posting that info ... I was just about to do it myself . Some of the fears have been alleviated. Just as I guessed, the suspension is *in fact* modified. Toyota is not stupid; they would never leave the suspension stock with such a big power increase.
Old 08-03-07, 11:07 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=ba-b4;2815352]..... Other brands may have cars with high handling limits but amongst japanese makers only Mazda has that chassis tuning magic [QUOTE]

You obviously have never driven an Evo or a S2000....makes Mazda cars feel like Buicks.
Old 08-03-07, 12:01 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

p.s. Once upon a time Mitsubishi was known as the japanese BMW.. at least where I come from..

never heard mazda described as such, though they do make a great chassis.

Quick Reply: JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)