Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 06:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)

JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6

Posted on Thursday 2 August 2007

Toyota has released a hotted up version of the Japanese domestic market Blade hatch featuring a 3.5L V6 engine with 280hp (206kW) and 345Nm (254lb-ft) of torque. The Blade is sold in Europe as the Auris and in other markets as the Corolla, and it’s expected that these markets will also get the new V6 version, as we reported in an earlier story. To give you an idea of just how much power this is, Volkswagen’s Golf R32 hot hatch only gets a 250hp (184kW) powerplant.

The new model comes with a six speed manual as standard as well as a new six-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters. Other features include 16in brake discs with upgraded calipers, and 17in alloy wheels with 225mm tires. There’s no word on whether there will be any sports suspension changes or improvements to the chassis.

To differentiate the car further, designers have added a mild sports bodykit with unique badging at the tail end. Who said Toyota only made boring cars ?
via motorauthority
Old 08-02-07, 07:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully, the new 2008 Corolla will get the same sporty treatment for the XR variant...
Old 08-02-07, 07:11 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friggin' awesome. Too bad it doesn't have AWD, apparently. But then, I don't care if it has torque steer out of this world, this is really cool. A muscle-car Corolla. haha And 16-inch discs?!?!?!?! WTF? Is that accurate? I mean that's Le Mans-ready supercar-ish.

I really, really hope this makes it to the US. Can't wait for more details. With this and the small RWD car, Toyota is finally showing some signs of life again!
Old 08-02-07, 07:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Would like to see the pricing when this comes out and how it compares to the a base V6 Camry, but I like the idea.
Old 08-02-07, 07:41 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Saw this at the toyota.jp website didnt realise it had a sixspeed manual though. They call it the Blade Master. I guess this also means an IS350 6speed isnt far behind.
Old 08-02-07, 07:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Saw this at the toyota.jp website didnt realise it had a sixspeed manual though. They call it the Blade Master. I guess this also means an IS350 6speed isnt far behind.
Eh, not necessarily. The IS is a RWD platform, which the 2GR-FSE has been modified for. The FWD cars (ES, RX, Camry, etc) use the 2GR-FE which in turn has been modified for that platform. Also, both platforms use completely different transmissions.

Even then, the Corolla has a different platform from the Camry...so what I am saying is that just because this Corolla has a 6MT, I certainly wouldn't expect it on the IS.
Old 08-02-07, 07:57 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, if Toyota brought that here I would buy it, and man 16in brake disc, that is huge, plus a 6 speed manual, why oh why does the IS350 not have either of those
Old 08-02-07, 08:16 AM
LexFather

They failed to mention the suspension stays the same and floats like a butterfly....I kid I kid!!!

This is a good move on Toyota's part

Old 08-02-07, 09:12 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

The rumors of the V6/AWD Corolla surfaced just about a month ago. I'm a little surprised the V6 made it in, but not AWD.

And I wouldn't count on the US version making 280HP. Maybe closer to 260 or 265...

I also think the 16-inch discs is a misprint/lost-in-translation, I mean you would need huge wheels to accomodate that. But if true, then that's a big deal.

EDIT: Well, I just read the short article on Nihon Car, and it does indeed seem that Toyota chose to stick with a FWD setup. Again, for some reason I'm not as bothered by this as I normally would be. They're reporting 16-inch brake discs as well, I wish someone could actually confirm this. Also, the V6 isn't in the Corolla sedan, it's in the Blade, which will be sold here in the US as the replacement for the Matrix. So it makes more sense now. We'll probably see the V6 in the Blade here (Matrix replacement) instead of the regular Corolla sedan. In Japan, the Blade is the luxury/performance variant of the Corolla platform, so I hope we'll see things like LED tails and HIDs headlights on the Blade that will be sold here in the US. As long as it comes fully-loaded with 6-speed auto and goodies like HID for under $25K, I could seriously see this being my next ride...

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-02-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-02-07, 09:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

280hp corolla. Ditch the XRS trim and bring back the GT-S.
Old 08-02-07, 10:11 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

my machine translation on the pr for the brakes part says:

"
Furthermore, "Fun to Drive" is pursued the suspension which administers private tuning, with the adoption of the disk brake and 17 inch tire & the aluminum wheel of the large diameter 16 inch which guarantees the damping force which is superior.
"

i dont think the brakes are 16". i think they have 16 and 17" wheels
Old 08-02-07, 10:13 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Hmm, this could be a fun daily driver.
Old 08-02-07, 10:36 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

The front end kind of reminds me of a veedub, not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 08-02-07, 11:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, so they actually did it. A little bit surprising the the 2GR fit into the engine bay. This thing must fly like crazy! And I'm pretty sure the suspension is modded and tuned compared to a stock Blade, because this is a HUGE power upgrade over a stock blade. If the brakes are upgraded, then the suspension must be as well.

As for the 6 speed manual and hopes of the IS350 getting it, there is still hope. The new CTS has both manual and auto for the 304HP engine. The manual on that car is a 6 speed Aisin Warner unit. Aisin has very close ties to Toyota, and if Toyota really wanted to, they could stick that 6 speed unit into the IS350.

As for AWD, there have been some insider reports and rumours that the platform the Corolla/Auris/Blade sits on was specifically engineered to handle a V6 engine, FWD, AWD, and potentially even RWD. There have been a lot of rumours about engineers reinforcing the rear suspension and rear-subframe of the Corolla platform. What adds to these rumours is that the top-level Auris in Europe has a multi-link suspension in the rear. So the facts as they are show that the Corolla platform can handle I4 and V6 engines, as well as different suspension designs. The I4 powered cars also have some AWD variants. Also keep in mind the Rav 4 sits on a modified Corolla platform, and it has a V6 AWD variant.
Old 08-02-07, 11:11 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I hope this version of the Corolla makes it to the U.S.

Talk about a sleeper....this is a sleeper right out the box!!

Quick Reply: JDM Toyota Corolla gets 280HP V6 (+ V6 Toyota Blade)