Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

335i coupe???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 07:09 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
and no temperature gauge on our X5 4.8i either. I am still not use to not having the temperature gauge. I could careless about the dipstick since I never check the dipstick anyway on my Lexus. But temperature gauge is quite useful for me because I don't like to floor the car when it's cold in the morning.
I dislike the modern BMW instrument clusters. Why couldn't they just stick with the ones they've been using for the past 30 years? That had everything you needed in a clean, no nonsense layout. Fuel, Coolant temp, Speedo, Tach, and Instant fuel consumption.

I like the instant fuel consumption gauge (as luck has it, my BMW X3 lacks it). Honestly though, in a X5 4.8i, you could probably care less about the fuel consumption because the needle is probably pegged all the way to the right anyway.

If you want an idea how long it takes to warm up, it's usually about 5-10 miles of moderate driving on normal temp days. I've also learned that just because the needle is in its "normal" middle zone, does not mean the engine is actually fully warmed up. It's buffered, so after the needle is in the middle, you've got a couple more miles before you're cleared for takeoff.
Old 08-03-07, 07:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The temperature gauge measures the coolant temperature anyways. Coolant can warm up pretty quickly. The motor oil on the other hand...we do not have a gauge for that and its the oil that we're more concerned with.
Old 08-03-07, 07:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I built a 335 coupe similar to the options on my IS350 (added nav/heated seats/park assist/sport pkg and it came up to $50000 versus the $37K I paid for the Lexus.

So it'd be $50000 + the extended warranty/ext maint = waaaay too much $$$$
Old 08-04-07, 05:54 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
The temperature gauge measures the coolant temperature anyways. Coolant can warm up pretty quickly. The motor oil on the other hand...we do not have a gauge for that and its the oil that we're more concerned with.
The turbos have a oil temp gauge, along with the //M cars I believe.

Unfortunately, everyone pretty much pays MSRP for a 335i coupe or convertible thesedays. Such is the law of supply and demand . If you want luxury features, BMW makes you pay out of your nose. But if you want sports suspension, that comes standard with the car . That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. (I'd build my cars w/o power seats if possible)
Old 08-04-07, 09:07 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
The turbos have a oil temp gauge, along with the //M cars I believe.

Unfortunately, everyone pretty much pays MSRP for a 335i coupe or convertible thesedays. Such is the law of supply and demand . If you want luxury features, BMW makes you pay out of your nose. But if you want sports suspension, that comes standard with the car . That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. (I'd build my cars w/o power seats if possible)
Unless you do European Delivery.
Old 08-04-07, 11:48 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one is paying MSRP, well, unless they are foolish. Most guys at e90post are getting anywhere from 3 to 5% off. Even here in Canada, at least in Toronto, guys are getting ~5% off.
Old 08-04-07, 04:06 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by picus
No one is paying MSRP, well, unless they are foolish. Most guys at e90post are getting anywhere from 3 to 5% off. Even here in Canada, at least in Toronto, guys are getting ~5% off.
There's a waiting list in my area. I know some people who ordered their 335i convertible are getting it delivered in November due to the high demand. Law of supply and demand seems to prevail around here.
Old 08-05-07, 10:37 AM
insider
Pole Position

If you do the European Delivery program you can order a 335i for $600 over invoice through some dealers. Just have to shop around. You need to test drive both cars and see which one you like the most. Then buy the one that best fits you. SImple as that.
Old 08-14-07, 12:27 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
I built a 335 coupe similar to the options on my IS350 (added nav/heated seats/park assist/sport pkg and it came up to $50000 versus the $37K I paid for the Lexus.

So it'd be $50000 + the extended warranty/ext maint = waaaay too much $$$$
You are comparing a Toyota to a German performance car. Pop the hood a take a peak and see what you are getting dollar for dollar.

you have a nice car but not in the same league as a 335.

you did not save $15k, you bought $15k less of a car.
Old 08-14-07, 05:08 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My 335 is holding up with know complaints. The only problem I have is people trying to race it seems like at every stoplight.
Old 08-14-07, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
You are comparing a Toyota to a German performance car. Pop the hood a take a peak and see what you are getting dollar for dollar.

you have a nice car but not in the same league as a 335.

you did not save $15k, you bought $15k less of a car.
No he bought a Lexus. IS and 3 are even competitors, deal with it. Pop the hood of a 335 and what do you see?

MITSUBISHI TURBOS!!!

Please, stop the useless hating.

Old 08-14-07, 06:21 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
My 335 is holding up with know complaints. The only problem I have is people trying to race it seems like at every stoplight.
It could be worse. I've heard of people being unable to pry away the keys from their spouse.
Old 08-14-07, 06:27 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
It could be worse. I've heard of people being unable to pry away the keys from their spouse.
Glad I'm not married....yet
Old 08-14-07, 06:49 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No he bought a Lexus. IS and 3 are even competitors, deal with it. Pop the hood of a 335 and what do you see?

MITSUBISHI TURBOS!!!

Please, stop the useless hating.
and Mitsubishi turbos are bad because??
Old 08-14-07, 06:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
and Mitsubishi turbos are bad because??
Never said they were, they have tons of expertise making turbos. sdbrandon is taking more shots at Lexus, he needs to inspect the 335 first.

Both are exceptional cars in this segment.

Quick Reply: 335i coupe???