Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

335i coupe???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 07:56 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
you have a nice car but not in the same league as a 335.

you did not save $15k, you bought $15k less of a car.

Having driven both the IS350 and 335i, the 335i has great hp and handling; the IS350 has gobs of power, good handling, and a smoother tranny. I'd say if power and road feel is the most important factor in your buying decision, the 335i has an edge. Is it worth $15K? If it's that important to you, then go ahead; it's your money, not mine. Honestly, I'm rarely in a situation where I could drive the 335 hard enough to really appreciate the difference between it and the IS350. I've donated my share to the CHP & local PDs and Bay Area traffic limits my "*****-to-the-wall" driving.

What I do notice every single time I drive the 335 is the horrible interior. As I've said before, I find the interior has all the beauty and comfort of a Panzer tank. The seats don't provide me with sufficient shoulder or upper back support, controls aren't well laid-out, and the I-drive sends me into a fit of Tourette Syndrome. Yeah, I could use I-drive's NAV while I'm driving (actually it was too distracting and I still had to pull over to look up an address), but I could also drive a rusty nail into my groin while I'm driving too. Would I want to? No.

Long term reliability? That's still up in the air. But as noted in my previous posts, I haven't been very impressed with the short term.

While I think the 335 drives great, the drawbacks I've noted prevent me from saying that it's better than the IS350. While I like the IS350, the sad truth is that the interior is too small for me. There are many aspects to consider when purchasing/leasing a car, some more important to others. Drive the cars and pick the one that's best for you. Speaking only for myself, I'd rather be driving my GS4 over both the IS and 335. YMMV
Old 08-15-07, 06:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Great car! If you were to order one now, be prepared to wait for months as they are on back order. Dealerships are not willing to swap stock with one another either.
there's only 1600+ on autotrader.com
Old 08-15-07, 06:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
You are comparing a Toyota to a German performance car. Pop the hood a take a peak and see what you are getting dollar for dollar.

you have a nice car but not in the same league as a 335.

you did not save $15k, you bought $15k less of a car.

call me in 4 years and let's compare how many times I have to take my IS into the shop versus the 335i for mechanical or electrical problems.
Old 08-15-07, 07:45 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
call me in 4 years and let's compare how many times I have to take my IS into the shop versus the 335i for mechanical or electrical problems.
I'm up for that.
Old 08-15-07, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
I'm up for that.
thread bookmarked

Old 08-17-07, 01:46 PM
insider
Pole Position

The BMW is the best all-around car in the world. Read it here http://www.caranddriver.com/features...35i-coupe.html Remember, this comes from those that drive different cars everyday for a living. Enough said.