Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have approx 14k cash, what should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 06:46 AM
frotiss
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a silver 2002 GS300 i am asking $14,000 if you interested let me know i will send you pictures this is my direct email chris.gabriel@alston.com send me your email address
Old 08-04-07, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flblue
Lexus ES300 2000-02, with Nak stereo if possible.

GS 300/400 Probably out of my price range?

Nice LS400 probably out of my price range too

Toyota Avalon XLS with JBL stereo

Acura TL-S with the Bose stereo.

Infiniti I-35

Anything I should stay away from out of my list or to watch out for??
You say mileage, on 87 Octane, is a high priority. None of the cars on the list you provided here, while not terrible, would really be very high on the mileage list by today's standards.
The ES300 would be my choice on the list but the 2000-2002 models that you mention have a gel/sludge issue with the 3.0 V6, and service records, particularly oil changes, should be documented. Also check out the transmission shifts....tranny quirkiness was high on the list of owners' complaints for those model years.
Also, on this car, while I think you can run regular gas in a pinch, premium is recommended.

The GS300 is an OK choice, too.....but runs on premium, and is a slightly sportier setup than the ES. Its suspension is not as soft. If you decide to get one, you might consider frotiss's offer above.

Since handling and performance are not an issue with you, another recommendation on my part would be to look at a used Kia Amati. It is Kia's U.S.-market flagship, has high depreciation so used ones are a good deal, a long warranty (not necesarily transferrable), a VERY soft ride and roly-poly handling by today's standards, and runs on regular fuel (I think). It makes a great highway cruiser for straight-line roads with no sharp curves. Consumer Reports rates its repair record as average overall.
I test-drove one several years ago but did not formally write it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 07:58 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a CL type S 6-speed, take it. It's a pretty decent car with good punch. Handling is decent for a front-drive car too. And that thing sounds and goes like a Honda should
Old 08-04-07, 08:21 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by frotiss
I have a silver 2002 GS300 i am asking $14,000 if you interested let me know i will send you pictures this is my direct email chris.gabriel@alston.com send me your email address
How many miles?
Old 08-04-07, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

... want Japanese next.
1... good MPG
2... takes regular unleaded if possible
3... not too bothered about performance anymore (getting old)
4... As many goodies as possible, quality stereo is a must,
5... RELIABILITY.
Used Hyundai Azera.
Old 08-04-07, 08:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by frotiss
He's in FL and you're in NY?

Originally Posted by JAC JZS
How many miles?
Take it to PM please. Thanks.
Old 08-04-07, 09:07 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
2 month-old Hyundai Azera.
Fixed your post. They actually do depreciate that quickly.
Old 08-04-07, 12:44 PM
flblue
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I've scratched the Infiniti and the Acura off my list.

Looking out for a southeastern GS but they are few and far between and I can't see spending 12/14k on a car with over 100k miles making much sense from what I've seen out there so far.

There are more ES300 and Avalons available but this sludge issue has me worried. I assume it's pretty rare? Knowing my luck I'd buy one with the issue so are there any tell tale signs when looking over a car? Or is just a case of making sure the oil has been changed religously?

The 2004+ Solaras have caught my eye too, a coupe isn't a problem. How do these rate? I also wouldn't rule out a good ol Honda Accord aslong as they didn't have the transmission/J series engine problems?

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-07, 02:19 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

There are more ES300 and Avalons available but this sludge issue has me worried. I assume it's pretty rare? Knowing my luck I'd buy one with the issue so are there any tell tale signs when looking over a car? Or is just a case of making sure the oil has been changed religously?
Buy the Avalon/ ES only with complete service records(esp. oil changes lol) OR jut slap on a good aftermarket warranty ~ $1500+- dep. on miles/ year etc...

The 2004+ Solaras have caught my eye too, a coupe isn't a problem. How do these rate? I also wouldn't rule out a good ol Honda Accord aslong as they didn't have the transmission/J series engine problems?

Thanks again.
As I mentioned b4 the Avalon is actually the best way to go in your price range/ what ur looking for BUT if ur gonna go w/ a coupe the Accord coupe(unless u want convertible) is better than the Solara from a looks/ handling/ ride/ interior ergonomics standpoint and about the same in reliability. From what ive seen the '04+('03 was 1st MY=ok but not amazing) 4cyl. Accords are Top Level in reliability

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-04-07 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 02:32 PM
LexFather

Thanks for all the replies. I've scratched the Infiniti and the Acura off my list.

Looking out for a southeastern GS but they are few and far between and I can't see spending 12/14k on a car with over 100k miles making much sense from what I've seen out there so far.

Thanks again.
I have a 92 ES 300, my mother has a 99 RX 300, neither has a sludge issue. Forgive us for actually changing our oils on a regular basis

Just make sure the maintenance records show oil changes, you will be fine.

Solaras are great cars to own, reliable and nice feeling of entry level luxury.

Old 08-04-07, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Used Hyundai Azera.
Maybe.....if you can find them at 14-15K. The Azera was brand-new last year and sold for 25K and up. I wouldn't bet on seeing many used ones at that price.
Old 08-04-07, 03:44 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe.....if you can find them at 14-15K. The Azera was brand-new last year and sold for 25K and up. I wouldn't bet on seeing many used ones at that price.
Correct, doing a nation wide search on Autotrader.com used Azera's(UNDAMAGED) start at $17k. Wont find them clean for much less anywhere else besides a Dealer Auto Auction.
Old 08-04-07, 09:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

C&D just finished their long term test of the Hyundai Sonata and were very lavish in their praise of the quality of the materials inside and how they held up and the fact that the car needed NO unscheduled trips to the dealer.

I'm point to Hyundai because 14k isn't a whole lot and so to get into a Lexus means getting one with high miles or it's pretty old. If I was to get a Lexus and wanted reliability and low maintenance cost I'd get an ES300. You can certainly get an old LS400 for that money, but get ready to pay for some kind of expensive maintenance at some point.
Old 08-08-07, 02:48 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
The thread starter listed 2G TL, it is under tranny extension and the class action ligitation.
No doubt, but I am suggesting 6MT, not Auto
Old 08-08-07, 02:56 PM
frotiss
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the miles are 100,500

Quick Reply: I have approx 14k cash, what should I buy?