Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clublexus, I have a secret confession....part I (Caddy lovers, inside!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Wow, glad to see the response here!!

Old 08-04-07, 10:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

My in-laws had a new Deville (last one a DTS) every 3 years for about 20 years so I'm very familiar with them! They're VERY comfortable, smooth, quiet, and roomy. The Northstar engine is no joke either - plenty of power. The tires, as mmarshall pointed out, did get not only lower profile but seemingly much 'harder' with each generation, but the car was still very nice.

A used Deville/DTS is a very nice bargain indeed.
Old 08-05-07, 03:14 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad had a 02 deville that he traded in for a 2006 cts. The deville no longer had warranty and it started having problems. The deville was his first caddy and it suited him very well but he wanted something a lil more sporty, plus he took my mom to the dealership with him(mistake). He originally wanted to get a 300c but I think he likes his caddy a lot more. I got to drive it when I was on leave and its a sweet ride!
Old 08-05-07, 10:06 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a brand new DTS rental from enterprise for couple of weeks, since I got the unlimted millege I made couple trips and put couple thousand miles on it. The car is nice and all but it is freaking long and it is hard to park that thing in small space.. the car is very comfortable for long trip and very smooth, good gas millege too.. it is not as fast as I though and It feel like the Lexus was faster.. I think they are about 30k right?? For the price its not bad at all.
Old 08-05-07, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My sister's first car was a 1980's DeVille, and it was such a big boat of a cruiser that she was nicknamed "The Queen Mary" in high school.

I miss that boat...
Compare the 1980 to the 1976 Deville...just four years earlier.....and the "Queen Mary" will be a rowboat in comparison.
Old 08-05-07, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A used Deville/DTS is a very nice bargain indeed.
You can also, in most cases, assume it hasn't had a hard life being thrown around corners or wrung out in Friday and Saturday night drag-races.
Old 08-05-07, 01:17 PM
CDY
Pole Position

I have to say, I would buy the STS-V over a BMW, MB or just about any luxury sedan under 100k (except the S8 or LS460L). I don't really like the DTS though... I always favored Eldorado over DeVille
Old 08-05-07, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDY
I have to say, I would buy the STS-V over a BMW, MB or just about any luxury sedan under 100k (except the S8 or LS460L). I don't really like the DTS though... I always favored Eldorado over DeVille
Yeah.............I guess you are getting too old now for a DTS.
Old 08-05-07, 08:26 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Then came 1985 DeVille/Fleetwood.... and you'll have a raft at best.

My Dad still has his 1990 DeVille w/ 54k miles, which he bought brand new for $31k. This thing still rides very soft and it's much plushier than the most recent variants.

I remember comparing it against my uncles 1988 560SEL back in the old days and the Caddy actually felt more comfortable.

Its fuel injected 4.5 litre V8 is no joke either. It's got plenty of power for most average drivers.

Jon

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Compare the 1980 to the 1976 Deville...just four years earlier.....and the "Queen Mary" will be a rowboat in comparison.
Old 08-06-07, 12:37 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reggiek
I like them too. I'm a Caddy fan from childhood. My Grandad had a killer sweet '62. He kept it clean as a whistle. I remember Sunday drives in that car. My Mom had a '72 then a '74. She let me drive it to high school every blus moon. Grandad kept a Caddy in his garage til the day he passed. Mom gave up on them, too unreliable. I still have a soft spot for them. Before Benz, BMW and Lexus.........Cadillac ruled the luxury car world.

I love the old Caddy's as well, I had a '76 Sedan De Ville with factory sunroof and later a '76 Fleetwood Talisman, very rare only 500 or so built that year, all black with footrests in the rear and front console that opened into a desk, man I loved that car.
Old 08-08-07, 08:40 AM
CDY
Pole Position

Man, those Fleetwoods are monsters if you tune them right. I've seen a few 500hp+ Caddy's at the dragstrip embarrassing everyone else.
Old 08-10-07, 01:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i luv this car to death, i also love the town car. the only thing i want though is a shifter in the center, not on the steering column, thing is for me, when i say i like this car to my friends they make fun of me and call me an old person IM ONLY 14
Old 08-10-07, 02:42 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Learned to drive on an STS ... Caddy fan over here too
Old 08-10-07, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd93
i luv this car to death, i also love the town car. the only thing i want though is a shifter in the center, not on the steering column, thing is for me, when i say i like this car to my friends they make fun of me and call me an old person IM ONLY 14
DTS Touring models are available, I believe, with a console-mount shifter, as was the De Ville Concours of several years ago.

I went through some of that same nonsense as you did when I was 19 and and had a big Buick..."a Grandpa car for 80 and 90-year-olds". Once they actually got a RIDE in it, though, and saw how nice it was to ride in, they were all smiles.

And, with the big V8, it could get out of its own way if it had to.
Old 08-10-07, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, glad to see the response here!!
Now do you guys finally believe that Big Caddys and Buicks are for more than just Grandpa and Grandma? They are hard to beat if you want a reasonably-priced car to just relax in....for people of any age.

Quick Reply: Clublexus, I have a secret confession....part I (Caddy lovers, inside!)