Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clublexus, I have a secret confession....part I (Caddy lovers, inside!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 04:12 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a confession too...I like the current Impala, FWD and all...
Old 08-10-07, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I have a confession too...I like the current Impala, FWD and all...
The Impala SS, though, with the 303 HP 5.3L V8, has a lot of torque steer.....as does its Pontiac Grand Prix GNP brother with the same engine and layout.

Haven't seen you post much lately in CAR CHAT...weren't you called WantanewLex a while back, or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 08-10-07, 06:39 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been a fan of the DTS ever since they came out. The DTS, current and previous models, pimped out, triple black, looks menacing. I love driving them in NYC as they soften out even the worst of NYC's manhole covers and horrid streets. Had one as a rental for several weeks last year and it was nice to drive, lots of power, horrid torque steer, and that soft, soft ride.

I'm a big fanof Caddy's art and science styling, especially with their V-cars. I've begun to really like the new Buicks, too (the lucerne and their new SUV are really nice).
Old 08-10-07, 07:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Impala SS, though, with the 303 HP 5.3L V8, has a lot of torque steer.....as does its Pontiac Grand Prix GNP brother with the same engine and layout.

Haven't seen you post much lately in CAR CHAT...weren't you called WantanewLex a while back, or am I thinking of someone else?
Yup, one and the same.

The torque steer in the SS is reasonably well controlled though, considering the car doesn't even have equal-length driveshafts. I actually have a lot of respect for those GM engineers turning out pretty decent cars like the Impala and Lacrosse on a platform that is about 2 decades old. GM engineers don't have much to work with in some cases, but they make the best of what they DO have, and end up making a pretty decent chicken salad out of stuff that could be otherwise classified as chicken s___.
Old 08-10-07, 07:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yea, I like the DeVilles also. The current generation is pretty sweet. However, I really dont care for the new redesign (I think the 2006 and up models). I've always been a fan of large boat like cars. They are just incredibly comfortable cars. Like a lay-z-boy on wheels.

I'm totally against the fact that Cadillac went sporty starting with the Catera then CTS. Even though they are having much success, I cant accept their new direction. Despite what some reviewers say about the new generation vehicles, I just cant walk up to a Caddy and think about hitting the Nurburgring trying to set new records.

When I walk up to a Cadillac I think of the Fleetwood. Big car, seats that suck you in like your grandmothers couch (without the plastic wrap ) with a suspension to match. That to me is what Cadillac is all about. No matter how hard they try, I just cant shake that image.

The last generation Fleetwood ever made. Such a mean vehicle. Chrome lower body, white wall tires, vinyl roof....maybe a diamond in the back. They even offered a 5-7,000lb tow package!!

Last edited by GFerg; 08-10-07 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 07:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CDY
I always favored Eldorado over DeVille

Eldorado in red or black with stock chrome rims looked amazing back in the mid 90's.
Old 08-10-07, 08:52 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would love to have a 91-92' Fleetwood Sixty Special.

Anyone who's messed with its powered front seats would agree with me on this one.

It's rather unfortunate that Cadillac continued to use the Sixty Special on the 93' model, which no longer carried the Fleetwood name.

I also don't mind cruising in a bright red, 93' Allante.

Jon
Old 08-11-07, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
When I walk up to a Cadillac I think of the Fleetwood. Big car, seats that suck you in like your grandmothers couch (without the plastic wrap ) with a suspension to match. That to me is what Cadillac is all about. No matter how hard they try, I just cant shake that image.

The last generation Fleetwood ever made. Such a mean vehicle. Chrome lower body, white wall tires, vinyl roof....maybe a diamond in the back. They even offered a 5-7,000lb tow package!!

THAT, friends, is a car to RELAX in. Just keep it OFF of twisty roads.....trust me.