Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clublexus, I have a secret confession....part I (Caddy lovers, inside!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07 | 02:36 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Clublexus, I have a secret confession....part I (Caddy lovers, inside!)

I have ALWAYS been a fan of this

The Caddy Deville. I have always been a fan of it inside and out and I know its not trying to be a damn sports car. Plush, HUGE, looks and drives like a Caddy.

In the era of 35 series sidewalls and everyone blowing on Top Gears nuts, its nice to have something like this still available.

I would like to see it go to RWD and keep the styling like this but bigger in all dimensions.
Old 08-04-07 | 02:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I like them too. I'm a Caddy fan from childhood. My Grandad had a killer sweet '62. He kept it clean as a whistle. I remember Sunday drives in that car. My Mom had a '72 then a '74. She let me drive it to high school every blus moon. Grandad kept a Caddy in his garage til the day he passed. Mom gave up on them, too unreliable. I still have a soft spot for them. Before Benz, BMW and Lexus.........Cadillac ruled the luxury car world.
Old 08-04-07 | 02:43 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

I actually drove the latest one just yesterday Sick. It was an Enterprise rental that one of my customer's had for a bit. It's pretty bad azz dude. It hauls azz and it's super plush. These Caddy's have always had that distinct feel you can't get elsewhere. I'm with you on this Sick
Old 08-04-07 | 02:52 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I've always loved that car too, I rented one like 3 years ago, it was great
Old 08-04-07 | 04:12 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Big DeVille and DTS fan here! Just love big old detroit iron. I hope they never have none to sell me as I get older.
Old 08-04-07 | 04:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm defenately not fond of the styling, especially on the newest model, and I'm not too fond of the FWD either. However I fallen in love with big, floaty cars ever since I got my LS, and when the times comes, and I get the new LS460, I'm probably gonna replace ugly 19's with some good old 16's and huge soft sidewall tires.
Old 08-04-07 | 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well............I knew that if I pointed it out enough times, you guys would start to come around.

Gotta keep in mind, though, that even today's DTS is not the big, heavy, plush, pillow-soft luxobarge of yesteryear. The whole luxury-car industry seems to be copying BMW in producing Euro-feel sport sedans, and Cadillac is no exception. Most of you guys know what the Cadillac STS, CTS, and the V-cars are like now...I don't need to tell you......and the DTS, while still softer then its brothers, is noticeably firmer than before, especially the Touring versions.

But 1SICK's point, of course, is well-taken. There is a lot more to automotive life than quick 0-60 times, high-G cornering, kidney-pounding bumps, and go-kart steering response. And cars like the DTS generally help you keep your license.

But to be honest, regardless of their chassis designs, the hardware and trim quality on many Cadillacs still don't impress me. Much of it is still GM-grade low-quality plastic, only with a coat of flash on it to make it look glitzy. The new Escalade, however, like the other big GM SUV's, has a noticeably improved dash, and the V-cars have a REAL metal wire-mesh grille that is classy and well-done.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-07 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-04-07 | 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In the era of 35 series sidewalls and everyone blowing on Top Gears nuts, its nice to have something like this still available.
Agreed.....but even the DTS's tires are lower-profile than before.....see my post above.

Lexus also screwed up the superb ES330 by doing the same thing with the new ES350.
Old 08-04-07 | 04:52 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

I like them too. They have a great ride and are super cheap on the used market. I saw a clean 2000 Deville w/ 53k miles for $6995! The only thing stopping me from getting one is the below avg. reliability pre '04. After that they continued to improve but then higher cost makes them not as attractive buys.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-05-07 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-04-07 | 05:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

And they look pretty sick when on bags with some +2 wheels tires, VIP style. A few around here are like that and it's too bad they aren't RWD or AWD for an offset wheel combo.
Old 08-04-07 | 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
And they look pretty sick when on bags with some +2 wheels tires, VIP style. A few around here are like that and it's too bad they aren't RWD or AWD for an offset wheel combo.
AWD, if you want it, is available on the STS, I believe. I highly recommend it....though if you live in SoCal, you probably won't need it at lower elevations.
Old 08-04-07 | 05:53 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

love the deville also
Old 08-04-07 | 05:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

My sister's first car was a 1980's DeVille, and it was such a big boat of a cruiser that she was nicknamed "The Queen Mary" in high school.

I miss that boat...
Old 08-04-07 | 06:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Ah yes, Caddy's. I had a Catera 2 yrs ago.

(damnit, that doesn't count)
Old 08-04-07 | 07:48 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

The first car that was mine (given to me by my parents) was a 86 white coupe deville. White half rag top with blue leather interior. I think it had a 4.2 and boy would she fly when I pressed on the gas and still feel like your floating. I then began to drive my moms 89 town car. Now the towncar would ALWAYS cause my buddies in the back to pass out before we started our cruising.

I was looking at the DTS too when I bought the GS. AS much as I liked the DTS I do not regret by any means getting the GS.

Quick Reply: Clublexus, I have a secret confession....part I (Caddy lovers, inside!)