Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best car battery: any opinion!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 11:45 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best car battery: any opinion!?

During my life, I 've driven many different cars and Lexus is the one that I love the best.

However, do you guys know which brand(s) of car battery is(are) the best?
Old 08-06-07, 12:07 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Optima. Red top is preferred for endurance, yellow top will work fine if red is not available.

(pretty much owns everything)
Old 08-06-07, 12:51 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Red top if you just need pure cranking power... Yellow top if you have some high drain devices like aftermarket amps and subs.
Old 08-06-07, 01:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i run optima redtops in both our LS and love them to death

most Sears DieHards are decent batteries and the Odyssey-made batteries are pretty good i hear.
Old 08-06-07, 01:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Today, most batteries are manufactured by certain manufacturers. One of the biggest battery manufacturers out there is Johnson Controls who actually makes products under these brand names...

Everstart, Motorcraft, Optima, TrueStart (Toyota), Duralast, Mitsubishi, Honda, Autocraft, Eveready, Energizer, Power Connnection, Die Hard, Equilizer, Kirland Signature and Interestate.

Optima batteries are great, but don't last from a longevity standpoint.
Old 08-06-07, 03:54 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my optima yellow top for 4 years now and no problems, although it is starting to drain. I am going to get either a new yellow top or red top, I dont have a lot of equipment to power, just one sub, so suppose I will go with the red top
Old 08-06-07, 06:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Optima Red Top, but Yellow Top for Audio.
Old 08-06-07, 07:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had mixed luck with Optima stuff personally... We sell Interstate at work (what I currently have in the Lex) and we have mixed luck with their stuff too... However, I see all brands of batteries fail on a daily basis, many are 1-2 years old or less. Granted the weather here in Vegas doesn't lend well to battery longevity of any kind (extreme heat, extreme dryness), but no battery has what I would call an excellent track record out here...

I personally think the Optimas are a waste of money... The red top boasts how many cranking amps? Big f'n deal - all you need cranking amp wise is enough to turn the starter, which is usually 100-150 amps... The yellow top has this awesome deep cycle ability - tell ya what, I've had two in a row that would never fully recover, and they are not a fully sealed design like many would have you believe...
Old 08-06-07, 03:16 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sears one. Die hard or something
Old 08-06-07, 03:29 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

You can't really make a blanket recommendation of a brand (except for Optima in their specific applications), because the quality varies DRASTICALLY within a brand, and from year to year. Assuming you're looking for a battery for your '00 LS400, that's a Size 24F or a size 35, and here are some of the top rated batteries in those sizes:

24F:
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24F
EverStart 24F-3N (North) --Walmart brand, only available in northern states

35:
NAPA Legend 7535
Duralast 35-D --Autozone brand

Of those, the Interstate Megatron is the best overall performer, while the Duralast is the best bargain at $60. All are rated Very Good by Consumer Reports, the 2nd highest rating. No batteries in either size rated Excellent, and all others besides these were rated Good or Fair.

Do not take these recommendations for any other size though, as a brand that performs well in one size may be a piece of crap in another. Let me know if you want me to look up any other sizes.
Old 08-06-07, 05:01 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i use the Duralast one from autozone and no complains here, but i just bought it like a month ago lol.
Old 08-06-07, 05:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Let me know if you want me to look up any other sizes.
I have a 2003 V8 4Runner thats has the original Panasonic Battery, and a 2006 3.5SE Maxima which Im looking to replace the battery.
Old 08-06-07, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Sears Die Hard has the best reputation I know of. There is a good reason why it it is not called Die Easy.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to adapt aftermarket batteries to vehicles equipped with factory-original ones. Exterior battery dimensions, terminal locations, and attachment points don't always match...or are adaptable.
Old 08-06-07, 06:30 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
I have a 2003 V8 4Runner thats has the original Panasonic Battery, and a 2006 3.5SE Maxima which Im looking to replace the battery.
Easy as can be. The 4runner is a size 24F where a 35 will also fit. The Maxima is a size 35 where a 24 will also fit. The above recommendations are for you.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Sears Die Hard has the best reputation I know of. There is a good reason why it it is not called Die Easy.
Although the DieHards have always been made under contract, Sears used to have very strict tolerances on them. As a result, they were almost always quality batteries. However, like much everything else these days, profit has become king, and Sears is cashing in on the brand's reputation by getting its batteries from the lowest bidder, while selling them for the same price. Some years they do ok. This year was not one of them. Not one Die Hard of the 12 tested this year, in any of the 5 sizes tested, got a "very good" rating, and only one was in the top half in its particular class.

Last edited by geko29; 08-06-07 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 05:40 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

thanks guys...i would try optima red or yellow...thanks

i have a LS400(YR2000): if i often turn on both the car and the air-con but at the same time wait for people 45-60mins(car not running on road), would that be real bad?

which type of batteries will suit such situation?

Quick Reply: Best car battery: any opinion!?