Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bob Nardelli is the new Chrysler CEO (former Home Depot CEO)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 04:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob Nardelli is the new Chrysler CEO (former Home Depot CEO)

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2142577,00.html

After pretty much ruining The Home Depot, Chrysler gives Nardelli the top job at Chrysler?? Unbelievable.

As an employee at HD, I saw all our benefits go out the door as soon as Nardelli took over. He doesn't care about the workers and only worries about how to operate in the cheapest way possible.

I feel bad for Chrysler workers. They need to prepare for severe cuts.
Old 08-06-07, 04:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unions will have a field day with him...
Old 08-06-07, 04:55 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I heard nothing but bad things about him during a previous job where we had a business relationship with HD. I was also constantly amazed at the compensation package he was able to set himself up with.

This is sad from an executive front but hopefully he realizes his automotive shortcomings and promotes the right people into the positions around him. Unlikely, but I can hope.
Old 08-06-07, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe he will bring Plymouth back. I've been waiting, for years, for a retro Road Runner. It's one of the few American-badged names I would seriously look at....I loved the originals.
Old 08-06-07, 05:54 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bahahaha, Worst choice EVER!!!!

Did they not hear what a catastrophe he was at Home Depot?
Old 08-07-07, 05:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I heard nothing but bad things about him during a previous job where we had a business relationship with HD. I was also constantly amazed at the compensation package he was able to set himself up with.

This is sad from an executive front but hopefully he realizes his automotive shortcomings and promotes the right people into the positions around him. Unlikely, but I can hope.
It must hold true, I've read nothing but awful things about him on a few other car forums. Seems he is simply an accountant, which is NOT what Chrysler needs.

Old 08-07-07, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It must hold true, I've read nothing but awful things about him on a few other car forums. Seems he is simply an accountant, which is NOT what Chrysler needs.
That may or may not work against the company, though. He will also be coming into his new job without a lot of pre-conceived ideas about how this or that should be done....maybe he will have an open mind.

Look what happened at GM, for example, when "Car Guy" Bob Lutz came in....not only a car enthusiast but a ex-Top Gun Marine fighter pilot as well.
Saint Bob was going to be the company's miracle. Yes, you got some interesting new products like the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, the vast improvement of the Corvette C6 to a world-status car, and an improvement in the company's deep financial hole, but it has also cost Saturn its unique position and status in the auto industry...it is just another GM division now, Opel-centered, and GM, in cost-cutting, lost its status to Toyota as the world's #1 manufacturer. And many of GM's vehicles, with a couple of new exceptions, STILL have EL Cheapo plastic interiors, with a coat of glitz on them to try and make them look classy on the surface.
Old 08-07-07, 06:30 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I heard nothing but bad things about him during a previous job where we had a business relationship with HD.
LOL a $210 million golden parachute is just being greedy...

You can buy a massive stable of exotics with that.

Edit : You can add in his last year's salary of $38 million and his guaranteed
yearly $3 million and what you have is monumental greed.

Last edited by marshmallo; 08-07-07 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 06:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That may or may not work against the company, though. He will also be coming into his new job without a lot of pre-conceived ideas about how this or that should be done....maybe he will have an open mind.

Look what happened at GM, for example, when "Car Guy" Bob Lutz came in....not only a car enthusiast but a ex-Top Gun Marine fighter pilot as well.
Saint Bob was going to be the company's miracle. Yes, you got some interesting new products like the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, the vast improvement of the Corvette C6 to a world-status car, and an improvement in the company's deep financial hole, but it has also cost Saturn its unique position and status in the auto industry...it is just another GM division now, Opel-centered, and GM, in cost-cutting, lost its status to Toyota as the world's #1 manufacturer. And many of GM's vehicles, with a couple of new exceptions, STILL have EL Cheapo plastic interiors, with a coat of glitz on them to try and make them look classy on the surface.
Yeah but Lutz and this HD guy are nothing alike

Old 08-07-07, 10:07 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

He was at HD from 2000-2007 roughly?

Click Annual Data and Income Statement

http://finance.google.com/finance?fstype=ci&q=HD
Old 08-07-07, 10:12 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Originally Posted by JLSC4

After pretty much ruining The Home Depot, Chrysler gives Nardelli the top job at Chrysler?? Unbelievable.

As an employee at HD, I saw all our benefits go out the door as soon as Nardelli took over. He doesn't care about the workers and only worries about how to operate in the cheapest way possible.

That is exactly what I heard and my company sells products to Home Depot.
Old 08-07-07, 11:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

One of the very first things he did to us was cut longevity bonuses. The old benefit was:

(for full timers)

2 years = $500
5 years = $1,000
10 years = $1,000
15 years = $1,500

Then he took away merit awards (badges that you traded in for cash).
5 badges = $100 in your next check.

He took other things away too and just kept bringing employee moral down.
Old 08-07-07, 11:25 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4

Well, first, Chrysler did not give him the job. Cerberus Capital did. I should know. I work for Cerberus. Secondly, you shouldn't feel bad for Chrysler workers due to pending cuts. The main drag on Chrysler these past years has been from their brutally generous retirement packages that were mandated by the Union. While the packages were perfectly viable 25 or more years ago.....they just have no place in todays marketplace. My personal feeling is that this is where the attempt at change will occur. In reducing the pending 18 BILLION of retirement health care debt that Cerberus/Chrysler will inherit soon.

That said, you cannot deny Home Depot's decline under Nardelli. Will that hold true for Chrysler? Only time will tell. He will have a tough road ahead of him though!
Old 08-07-07, 12:22 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
LOL a $210 million golden parachute is just being greedy...

You can buy a massive stable of exotics with that.

Edit : You can add in his last year's salary of $38 million and his guaranteed
yearly $3 million and what you have is monumental greed.
If I can walk away from any job with $210 million dollars, I'm better off retiring that stressing about another job
Old 08-07-07, 12:26 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

So is Chrysler now back to being "Chrysler Corporation" (not Daimler-Chrysler)? Or are they going to somehow infuse Cerberus Capital into the name.

Quick Reply: Bob Nardelli is the new Chrysler CEO (former Home Depot CEO)