Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW loses latest ‘M’ battle with Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 01:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by r1lee
Agree to this point 100%. To be able to trademark 1 letter of the alphabet is absurd!

If you dont know that the term "M" belongs to a BMW, then you aren't a car enthusiast.

1sicklex: There are two parts to this. LIke i had mentioned previously. The commercial part of the discussion is wrong and I would totally agree with you, and Infiniti should not be able to use that as advertisement. But the naming of the M35/M45 cars should be able to stand.
I agree that M35/45 should stand.. Thing is Infiniti is NOT using M35/45 in commmericals. It simply says "M". As Rominl stated, it has caused damange to BMW "M". I rarely say Infinity M in typing, I always try to type M35/45. The funny thing is M35/45 came from the discontinued M30 but the M30 did so poorly, BMW didn't notice or consumers. The M35/45 has done much better and Infiniti's use of "M" advertising has been clever.

I read the Nissan guys describing their car as a "M" and that is wrong. Its a M35/45. A "M" is a BMW and has been for over 30 years now.

I believe Toyota got sued in the early 1990s for their oringal name for their pickup truck the T-150. Ford sued and they renamed it T-100 which is now the Tundra.

Lexus sued Lincoln when they called the LS the LS6 and LS8 (designating V-6 or V-8) and stated it would confuse buyers from LS 400 (at the time). Lincoln dropped the numbers.

I want to say Nissan sued Audi over "Q" when the Q7 debuted. Nissan will have much less of a case since the Q has nowhere near the brand awarness as M and the car is discontinued.

Old 08-08-07, 01:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faymester
How about if car manufacturers try using different letters? As far as I know the BMW M was around far before the Infiniti M, so if Inifiniti wanted to be distinct maybe they should have chosen a different letter. Likewise for the other way around, BMW probably shouldn't have picked Z since Nissan was clearly all over that letter.

If you really wanted to be distinctive you would have picked a different letter, if you wanted to create confusion you would keep doing what you're doing.

Just thinking quickly here, letters I *think* are still unused (or don't have a clear brand distinction):
D H K N O P T U W X Y
Well outside of "M" they have, they have maybe the worst letters or least used letters in the alphabet.
I
G
FX
EX
M
QX
Q
J

No one else uses these letters much. Kia I believe does sell a "I30" hatchback in Aisa, the same indentical name as the discontinued Infiniti I30.

From a marketing standpoint it is even MORE confusing as:
1.non luxury brands have moved to letters and numbers.
Pontiac G5, G6, G8 etc
Hyundai XG 350
Mazda 3, 5, 6,

etc etc

2.luxury brands continue to expand their lineups
X3, X5, X4, X6, Z4, Z8, M6 are all fairly new (not X5), 1 series
GL, CLS, A class, B class
Q7, R8, A3, A2
"F"
X-type, S-type XJ, XK
Volvo-S40, S60, S80, V60 etc
Saab 9-3, 9-5

I am a total gearhead and its CONFUSING to me

Last edited by LexFather; 08-08-07 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-08-07, 02:16 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come to think of it, I do have to agree that Infiniti always advertises the m35/45 line with "the M". Whenever bmw advertises the z3/4/8 roadsters, they always include the number. The bmw m series is a longer and more established name than infiniti m. I think bmw's got a case, they should appeal and make sure all infiniti m35/m45 is advertised that way, and put an end to this epidemic. It gets on my nerves whenever somebody says "look it's an M" when it's not.
Old 08-08-07, 02:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Nissan could have been a bit better in designating this model. I suppose Fuga doesn't roll off the tongue in the states like it does there. Given the common sizes of engines as a designation included with model...this is going to be challenging. Audi did a nice line with A4,6,8...
Old 08-08-07, 03:09 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont see much problem here... I mean if someone doesnt know the difference between the BMW M cars and Infiniti's M then chances are they wont be buying either one anyway... Also, Infiniti markets the car as "The M" because it would be pretty lame to keep calling it "The M35/M35" every time in a commercial or ad. Also, you look at other makes, even BMW, most of their ads refer to a car just on it's general model name or series (i.e. BMW refers to their cars simply as "The 5 series" not "The 535i, 550i, M5, etc...). It all goes along with how Infiniti ads refer to all their cars now without the number designation following it.

Anyway, I still think it doesnt matter because to the average consumer, if they cant differentiate between the two Ms, they probably are not buying either IMO.
Old 08-08-07, 04:21 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r1lee
Guys, read the article. It says BMW took action only when it viewed the commercial advertising "The M is coming" I'm sure if Infinity said the "M35 is coming" then this wouldn't be a problem.

Yes Nissan should be known to have the "Z", but I'm not sure if BMW has ever released an Advertisement based on just the "Z' moniker.

There is just way too many lawsuits over stupid things nowadays and this is one of them.

When Lexus says the GS is coming they dont need to say 330 400 450 ect.

BMW will not win since there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and many cars companies who use them. Its that simple.
Old 08-08-07, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Ridiculous. Lawsuits of this type, IMO, are frivolous at best.....and downright absurd at worst.

There are only 26 letters in the English alphabet. There are at LEAST that many, if not more, auto manufacturers SHARING those letters when they name cars. You are GOING to get some overlap, period. Live with it.
Old 08-08-07, 06:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
When Lexus says the GS is coming they dont need to say 330 400 450 ect.
Yeah, but they might just get sued by Buick.

The Buick GS (this one happens to be a 1968 GS400, marketed as the "GS" and sold in other years under similar names including the GS455 and GSX)... one of my favorite musclecars.
Attached Thumbnails -buick-gs-1968a.jpg  
Old 08-08-07, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, not only the point that Dave just brought up about Buicks, but look at all the different manufacturers that use CE, LX, DX, EX, GL, GS, LE, XE, GT, XT, etc...... in their different trim lines. It would be absurd for them all to try and sue each other.....just one big mess.
Old 08-09-07, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Yes, GS "Grandsport" is an older name (I want to say used by a few other companies). However, "GS" used by Buick and "M" used by BMW are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

As for trim levels, it can get confusing. LS has been used as a trim level (a Lexus). EX has been used as a trim level (not an Infiniit). However, in most cases they are attached to names.
Toyota Camry LE or XLE
Nissan ALtima SE

No one refers to the car as a Toyota XLE

Old 08-12-07, 12:17 AM
omd316
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
With letters vastly overused, I can't wait for cars to be named after a sound, like clicking the roof of your mouth, or a deep moan...
lmaooooooo at that ^^
Old 08-12-07, 06:54 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blah. BMW needs to devote more resources to doing something worthwhile, such as improving the quality in its flagship, the 5- and 7-series.