Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Ties Lexus for Top Spot in JDPower Reliability Survey

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 10:19 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus usually have double digit numbers, right?
Old 08-09-07, 10:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Lexus usually have double digit numbers, right?
yup!

usually it's in the lower to bid 90s!

This survey gathers data from cars 3 years ago. Problem we have now with the new camry, ES, Accord, TL, etc wont show up until the 2010 survey.
Old 08-09-07, 11:01 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing which survey was it that Porsche beat out Lexus. J.D Power has so many different ones.
Old 08-09-07, 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing which survey was it that Porsche beat out Lexus. J.D Power has so many different ones.
That's their 2007 Initial Quality Study(IQS), for first 90 days of ownership of a new car, that one really has very little to do with reliability.
Old 08-09-07, 11:16 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just love how people on this board cant bear to see lexus not be the sole top manufacturer. get over it already. cadillac and buick have always been pretty high up on that list every year.
Old 08-09-07, 11:24 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I certainly do not mean to slight Buick because this is a great achievement for the brand, and GM as a whole. That said, I do not really find this to be as significant as Lexus scoring for two reasons:

1) The only new vehicle that Buick has had is the Lucerne- Enclave would not be counted here. Also, the Lucerne rides on older, proven architecture and is more or less a reskin of the Impala platform. GM had plenty of time to work out the quibbles on this car before they put a new interior and exterior, and a Buick badge.
This isn't an initial quality study. Buick has had more models in the past.
Old 08-09-07, 11:40 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Sure, this may be helpful to people that buy new cars every couple years, but to me, it means nothing.

I'm in it for the long haul, and that's where Lexus really shines.
Old 08-09-07, 11:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Sure, this may be helpful to people that buy new cars every couple years, but to me, it means nothing.

I'm in it for the long haul, and that's where Lexus really shines.
Buicks and Cadillacs have been proven to be reliable in the long run. Sure their interiors may not hold up as well, or the engines may not be as refined as lexus' engines, but to say they aren't reliable in the long run is wrong.

As the car gets older, the ability to keep its reliability is on the hands of the owner. Not even lexus quality will save the car from improper care.

I've always stressed that just because it's a lexus, it's not much more reliable than say an Acura, Toyota, Honda, etc. They are all proven quality cars. As long as you maintain the cars, they'll last you forever. I get a bit ticked off whenever someone points out that X brand's reliablity is better than Y brand's. My older lexus (1999) has its fair share of problem, despite being built by "lexus" in the highest quality assembly plant. Actually more so than my previous 1992 Acura.

I dont care too much for these ratings. It's entertaining to look at the numbers, but it should never be used as the holy grail of all reliablity chart.
Old 08-09-07, 12:09 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I remember someone saying that Buicks are really reliable because they're essentially the same car and platforms from since like forever and they just make minor changes now and then.. basically the buicks you buy now are just really old models that have been refined and bugs worked out over a long period of time.. so it's no wonder they're so reliable.
Old 08-09-07, 12:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good job to Lexus and Buick.
Old 08-09-07, 12:19 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

since when did JD Power's dependability study become a reliability study.
Old 08-09-07, 12:47 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Buicks and Cadillacs have been proven to be reliable in the long run. Sure their interiors may not hold up as well, or the engines may not be as refined as lexus' engines, but to say they aren't reliable in the long run is wrong.

As the car gets older, the ability to keep its reliability is on the hands of the owner. Not even lexus quality will save the car from improper care.

I've always stressed that just because it's a lexus, it's not much more reliable than say an Acura, Toyota, Honda, etc. They are all proven quality cars. As long as you maintain the cars, they'll last you forever. I get a bit ticked off whenever someone points out that X brand's reliablity is better than Y brand's. My older lexus (1999) has its fair share of problem, despite being built by "lexus" in the highest quality assembly plant. Actually more so than my previous 1992 Acura.

I dont care too much for these ratings. It's entertaining to look at the numbers, but it should never be used as the holy grail of all reliablity chart.
I agree that a lot of what you said is true. Those 3800's last damn near forever. But that's all I'll really give GM credit for. I have a couple friends that have had nightmares with Buicks, even when they kept them well-maintained.

The interiors are cheap, and the exteriors are hideous on Buicks from the early 90's. My LS400 is still pretty damn good looking to this day, and the interior is the solidest I've ever seen. The car has almost 200k miles, and it's held up exceptionally well.

Not saying Buicks can't make it to over 300k-400k miles like some LS400's I've seen, but there's more to it then just the numbers.
Old 08-09-07, 12:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
since when did JD Power's dependability study become a reliability study.
since dependability is a synonym for reliablity?
Old 08-09-07, 01:29 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
since dependability is a synonym for reliablity?
they're not the same thing.

You can get low marks for gas mileage (H2) or poor airconditioning (early xA's and xB's) on JD Power's dependability survey.

CR conducts a reliability study.
Old 08-09-07, 02:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
they're not the same thing.

You can get low marks for gas mileage (H2) or poor airconditioning (early xA's and xB's) on JD Power's dependability survey.

CR conducts a reliability study.
If that's the case, then it means bad news for Lexus since Lexus is 'suppose' to be the standard in quality of today's world. For a Buick (who's quality isn't up to par as Lexus) to rank near Lexus, it either shows Lexus quality has gone down, or Buick has up'ed itself in all departments. Or it could be that buick owners died before they could submit their surveys

Quick Reply: Buick Ties Lexus for Top Spot in JDPower Reliability Survey