Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Ties Lexus for Top Spot in JDPower Reliability Survey

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 02:57 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/
Old 08-09-07, 03:32 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Some surprises on that list. I think Buick is one of the least surprising. Infinit, BMW, Benz and in particular Porsche are the ones that surprise me. Am I wrong when I say Porsche is usually at the top of these?
Old 08-09-07, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
If that's the case, then it means bad news for Lexus since Lexus is 'suppose' to be the standard in quality of today's world. For a Buick (who's quality isn't up to par as Lexus) to rank near Lexus, it either shows Lexus quality has gone down, or Buick has up'ed itself in all departments. Or it could be that buick owners died before they could submit their surveys
If not FOR Lexus, cars would continue to fall apart after 2 months of ownership. Lexus showed how that you can be prideful in building the best quality car and people are drawn and passionate towards that.

Today, EVERYONE has better scores. Everyone now pays attention to quality. It will be harder and harder for Lexus to seperate itself from others since they are studying Lexus techniques. Also Lexus cars are vastly more complicated than the ones from 1990!

Old 08-09-07, 05:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well said, ISICKLEX. It may very well be that comparatively simpler cars from GM may rise further up the charts. Lexus is moving into taking the technological lead with new innovations. That carries risk of quality issues.

However I have confidence in Lexus' kaizen philosophy and that it will continue to produce superbly reliable vehicles.
Old 08-09-07, 06:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely surprising to see that Porsche is WAY down there on the list for this year. Guess 2004 Porsche models had some problems perhaps.

This survey is much more useful than initial quality, but this is not the end-all and be all of quality/reliability surveys. This only covers problems for 3 years. CR for all it's criticism, covers vehicles up to 8 years old. It would be nice if JD Power's dependability survey covered 8 year old cars.

Fact is, no matter what brand or make you own, your vehicle should be reliable for the first 3 years. If it's not then there are serious quality/reliability questions about that make or model.

After 3 years is when things get interesting. If JD Power did their survey for 8 year old cars, the list would be quite different. 8 year old cars tend to be high mileage, and that's when the true differences in quality/reliability between different makes show up.

As for Toyota, other automakers are definitely improving their quality, and the gap is narrowing between Toyota/Lexus and the competition. Toyota definitely needs to raise the bar again on quality and reliability.
Old 08-13-07, 06:47 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the mighty HYUNDAY only managed to be a miserable 21st.

Their cars may be good for 90 days, but long term they fall apart.
Old 08-14-07, 01:34 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
If that's the case, then it means bad news for Lexus since Lexus is 'suppose' to be the standard in quality of today's world. For a Buick (who's quality isn't up to par as Lexus) to rank near Lexus, it either shows Lexus quality has gone down, or Buick has up'ed itself in all departments. Or it could be that buick owners died before they could submit their surveys
lots of Buick owners only buy "made in America," which skews the data in Buick's favor.
Old 08-14-07, 05:10 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So happy to hear that both of Buick's customers were satisfied last year.

Old 08-14-07, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Looks like the mighty HYUNDAY only managed to be a miserable 21st.

Their cars may be good for 90 days, but long term they fall apart.

Most of the people I know who have bought new Hyundais in the last, say, 5 years or so have been well-satisfied with them. A co-worker of mine was so satisfied with his Accent after 48,000 miles that he gave it to his son and bought another new one. My pastor has a 4-year-old Santa Fe and loves it.
There are numerous others as well.....I won't go down the whole list.
Old 08-14-07, 06:43 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of the people I know who have bought new Hyundais in the last, say, 5 years or so have been well-satisfied with them.
There are numerous others as well.....I won't go down the whole list.
I'm sure the whole list is not as statistically representative as the survey.
My friend's Sonata is barely a year old and it's falling apart. It looks like
a 5 year old car. Sample size of 1

These same 2004 Hyundai models incidentally scored in the top 10 in initial
quality. The article below is pretty interesting ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/au...prod=permalink
Old 10-11-07, 01:48 PM
LexFather

Exclamation 2007 JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) Lexus/Buick #1 (again)

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
Buick and Lexus Brands Tie for Highest Rank in Vehicle Dependability
Strong Dependability Levels Can Elevate Residual Value and Purchase Price of Used Vehicles

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 9 August 2007 —Buick ties with Lexus to rank highest among nameplates in vehicle dependability—marking the first time in 12 years that another brand ties with Lexus for the highest-rank position, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today.

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of 3-year-old (2004 model year) vehicles, finds that Buick and Lexus tie for the top rank position with a score of 145 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100). Following in the top five rankings are Cadillac, Mercury and Honda, respectively.

“With three non-premium nameplates—Buick, Honda and Mercury—ranking within the top five, and particularly with Buick tying with Lexus for the top rank, consumers seeking a vehicle with strong dependability have good choices at various price levels,” said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis for J.D. Power and Associates. “Consumers don’t necessarily need to pay premium prices to obtain high quality and dependability.”...

The 2007 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 53,000 original owners of 2004 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded from January through April 2007.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2007130

Improvers:
1. Hummer (27% problem reduction)
2. Lincoln (21%)
3. Subaru (21%)
4. Jeep (21%)
5. Audi (19%)
6. Volvo (18%)
7. BMW (17%)

Decliners:
1. Mazda (16% problem increase)
2. Isuzu (12%)
3. Nissan(12%)
4. Acura (11%)
5. Mercury (10%)
6. Chrysler (7%)
7. Lexus (6%)

Taken from VWVortex

Old 10-11-07, 02:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Not a bad showing. Mercedes seems to have improved a bit.
Old 10-11-07, 02:19 PM
LexFather

^^^I can't believe Mercedes is ahead of Infiniti and right behind Acura!!!
BMW is better than both.
Well there goes the Japanese cars are more reliable arguement. We can only say Lexus now

Old 10-11-07, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
[IMG]

Not a bad showing. Mercedes seems to have improved a bit.
??? Maybe. I'll be more inclined to believe it when I see some verification from Consumer Reports, whose figures I trust more than Power's.

However, Buick's high showing may actually have some substance to it. Consumer Reports, to an extent, verifies this.....they give both the Lucerne and the LaCrosse better-than-average reliability ratings, leaving only the old, outdated Terraza minivan below average. The just-introduced Enclave, of course, is too new to have a data base yet.

Gee......years ago I liked Buicks (actually owned two of them). I'll have to check my bank account........
Old 10-11-07, 02:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus had a 6% increase in the past three years (starting with '04 vehicles). We have yet to see how their new products such as the '06 IS and '07 ES will affect such numbers...

Quick Reply: Buick Ties Lexus for Top Spot in JDPower Reliability Survey