Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda FCX Is First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle to Get New Tax Credit - a Whopping $12K

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 07:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Honda FCX Is First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle to Get New Tax Credit - a Whopping $12K

Honda FCX Is First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle to Get New IRS Tax Credit

Date posted: 08-08-2007

TORRANCE, Calif. — Honda has announced that its Honda FCX hydrogen fuel cell car is the first to meet government requirements and get a whopping $12,000 tax credit. The credit is part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 that was passed to help encourage development of green vehicles and other energy-saving technology.

The Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit will be available to buyers of the vehicle, although it is not yet available for sale to the public. American Honda fuel cell Marketing Manager Stephen Ellis commented that the tax credit is "further validation that the FCX is a real vehicle" and called it "another step toward market viability."

The four-seat vehicle, which emits only water vapor, has been out on public roads since 2002, with 15 in use in California cities and by the state government of New York, including two leased to individuals. It was displayed to the public at the 2007 Los Angeles Auto Show last November.

What this means to you: Looks like a step in the right direction, although it's too soon to make room in your driveway for one.
via edmunds
Old 08-09-07, 01:54 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see why they have to make all these efficient cars look like garbage..
Old 08-09-07, 01:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

because the odd shape gets better aerodynamics than a scion xB
Old 08-09-07, 03:01 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

studies prove that the odd shapes sell more green cars. People that buy green want you to know their car is different. A civic and a civic hybrid look identical so no "image concious" tree hugger wants that and thus they choose a Prius over a Civic Hybrid.
Old 08-09-07, 05:25 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like that computer mouse look...
Old 08-09-07, 05:40 PM
LexFather

Wow, kudos to Honda. They need to stay focused on these kind of machines, fuel economy cars and leave the power to other carmakers.

12k tax credit, sweet!!!

Old 08-09-07, 07:35 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

12k Tax credit is nice, but how much is the car? And where do you fill'er up?
Old 08-09-07, 07:41 PM
cpone
There can only be One

You guys think its ugly?
I say its better looking then any civic Honda has ever made!

I WISH this was available in my area and a hydrostation near buy I would buy one tomorrow. No lie.
Old 08-09-07, 07:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Yep, I think it looks pretty cool too
Old 08-09-07, 07:50 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

more aerodynamic? I think that it is more of the desire to be noticed as well. I do not think being aerodynamic has much to do with gas mileage or efficiency. While it may get the customers who want to be known as being environmentalists, it also thwarts those who want to be environmentally friendly as well as save money while being in a normal or even good looking automobile. I really appreciate the way honda is going but cannot understand the design that the these green cars are being developed with. I do like the front end but the rear end is what I cannot get used to. Maybe it is one of those styling cues that will grow on you? lol
Old 08-09-07, 08:00 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tod071
12k Tax credit is nice, but how much is the car? And where do you fill'er up?
you fill'er up in your own garage

The HES is an all purpose energy station for home and vehicle energy needs. When fed a steady diet of natural gas (which, at the molecular level, consists mostly of carbon and hydrogen) that is readily available in most residences, the HES converts the gas to straight hydrogen. The hydrogen is then stored for future use, piped into your hydrogen-powered car, or used by the HES for its own set of fuel cells to generate electricity for the home. The system not only reduces carbon dioxide emissions by some 40 percent, it also is expected to lower the total running cost of household electricity, gas and vehicle fuel by 50 percent. Who wouldn't want to save 50 percent on their gas bill? [Crazy people, that's who, and maybe the guy that who just bought Exxon stock, and probably the Saud family!]
Old 08-09-07, 08:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by taejin09
more aerodynamic? I think that it is more of the desire to be noticed as well. I do not think being aerodynamic has much to do with gas mileage or efficiency.
Aerodynamics has A LOT to do with fuel efficiency, especially at highway speeds.

Take a look at two closely related cars: Lexus LS400 and Lexus GS400.

Both are equip with the same 1UZ-FE V8 and A650E Transmission. Only difference is that the LS400 is rated 10hp lower (which is nothing when we're talking 290-300hp).

The LS400 has a drag coefficient of 0.28 while the GS400 has a drag of 0.29. The difference is small in terms of drag values, but the LS400 is able to get 1mpg better in both city and highway mileage over the GS400. It's a pretty good number, considering the LS400 weighs 200lb more than the GS400.

So yes, while it may look ugly, it has it shapes for a reason (well many reasons).
Old 08-09-07, 08:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

it also is expected to lower the total running cost of household electricity, gas and vehicle fuel by 50 percent.
This I dont understand. How can this system lower the running cost of household electricity if you're not even using it to power your car in the first place? Someone edumacate me on this
Old 08-09-07, 08:43 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

a single FCX can produce enough electricity to power a neighbourhood block
or check out this section of the quote
or used by the HES for its own set of fuel cells to generate electricity for the home.
if you use the fuel cell of the car and feed the power back into the house, u basically dont need to pay for electricity bills anymore
or if you use the HES

Mercedes's fuel cell concept car is going that route, has sockets and such so you can plug appliances into the car and run like a fridge off the car

this is what EXXON mobil is so afraid of
and why Shell has been really hard at work trying to get natural gas from the russians
Old 08-09-07, 08:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Ah thanks. i skipped over that part.

Pretty cool I must say.

Quick Reply: Honda FCX Is First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle to Get New Tax Credit - a Whopping $12K