Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy pics and video of the 2009 Toyota Sequoia from Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Terrible. The Tahoe already owns this.

Also, the Tundra frame is several steps behind the GMT900 and a lightyear behind the F150. If I were in the market for a full-size pickup or SUV, I'd be looking at GM, not Toyota.
The Tundra's C-rail frame, in the I-Force V8 version I reviewed, was rated to tow 10,300 lbs.....the same general range as comparable F-150's. Toyota simply uses different matallurgy and a different type of shape/forging to accomplish the same frame strength, that's all. It's not inferior, just different.
Old 08-10-07, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Also, the Tundra frame is several steps behind the GMT900 and a lightyear behind the F150. If I were in the market for a full-size pickup or SUV, I'd be looking at GM, not Toyota.
The Tundra's C-rail frame, in the I-Force V8 version I reviewed, was rated to tow 10,300 lbs.....the same general range as comparable F-150's. Toyota simply uses different metallurgy and a different type of shape/forging to accomplish the same frame strength, that's all. It's not inferior, just different.

Where the Tundra DOES fall short, especially compared to the F-150 and the new Silverado, as I mentioned earlier, is in the interior materials....some of them are a joke.
Old 08-10-07, 07:48 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Tundra's C-rail frame, in the I-Force V8 version I reviewed, was rated to tow 10,300 lbs.....the same general range as comparable F-150's. Toyota simply uses different metallurgy and a different type of shape/forging to accomplish the same frame strength, that's all. It's not inferior, just different.

Where the Tundra DOES fall short, especially compared to the F-150 and the new Silverado, as I mentioned earlier, is in the interior materials....some of them are a joke.
With regard to the Tundra, I respectfully disagree. Its frame is inferior by design. I do agree, however, that Ford and especially GM have much better interiors.

You might have seen these videos, but if not, here you go. They're from Ford, so somewhat biased, but I don't think they're stretching the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShwG9l1F0Q

The Tundra looks like it's made of Jello, easily the worst performance of the three tested!
Old 08-10-07, 10:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those videos are from Ford and of course they are designed to show the Ford truck being the best. Put a Freightliner or Peterbilt truck through that test and you'll conclude that they're "made of jello" too. C-channel frames are designed to "give" a bit to absorb any forces acting on the frame. If the frame is too stiff like a fully boxed frame, then those forces travel directly into the truck's cabin and you get a real harsh ride. Plus, a fully boxed frame is stiff and can snap if enough force is applied to it. It will take more force for a C-channel to snap.

If you believe the Tundra's frame is "inferior by design" and all you have to prove it are those Ford videos, than that's hardly any proof at all. FYI, Toyota built fully boxed trucks way back in the 1980's. Do you think the Tundra is "inferior" to the small fully boxed pickups that Toyota had 20 years ago? I'm quite sure Toyota knows what it's doing. Toyota trucks and SUVs are some of the most legendary and renowned in the world. When you got to countries outside of North America you don't see F150s or Silverados roaming the streets, you see a lot of Toyota Hilux trucks or Land Cruisers.

Also Ford's Superduty trucks and GM's HD trucks all use C-channel frames. Are you going to tell me those heavy duty trucks are also "inferior" by design? The Tundra's specs and frame are closer to a heavy duty truck than a normal half ton.
Old 08-11-07, 05:34 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Still like the Caddy
Old 08-11-07, 05:37 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Spy pics and video of the 2009 Toyota Sequoia from Edmunds-2007-escalade-front.jpg  
Old 08-11-07, 08:00 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Those videos are from Ford and of course they are designed to show the Ford truck being the best. Put a Freightliner or Peterbilt truck through that test and you'll conclude that they're "made of jello" too. C-channel frames are designed to "give" a bit to absorb any forces acting on the frame. If the frame is too stiff like a fully boxed frame, then those forces travel directly into the truck's cabin and you get a real harsh ride. Plus, a fully boxed frame is stiff and can snap if enough force is applied to it. It will take more force for a C-channel to snap.

If you believe the Tundra's frame is "inferior by design" and all you have to prove it are those Ford videos, than that's hardly any proof at all. FYI, Toyota built fully boxed trucks way back in the 1980's. Do you think the Tundra is "inferior" to the small fully boxed pickups that Toyota had 20 years ago? I'm quite sure Toyota knows what it's doing. Toyota trucks and SUVs are some of the most legendary and renowned in the world. When you got to countries outside of North America you don't see F150s or Silverados roaming the streets, you see a lot of Toyota Hilux trucks or Land Cruisers.

Also Ford's Superduty trucks and GM's HD trucks all use C-channel frames. Are you going to tell me those heavy duty trucks are also "inferior" by design? The Tundra's specs and frame are closer to a heavy duty truck than a normal half ton.
The comparisons you are trying to make are not realistic. How many Tundras do you see roaming the streets, fields, jungles, and deserts overseas? The Tundra, like the F150 and GMT900 variants, are designed with one market in mind: the USA. There is no effort made to market these vehicles overseas because they're not designed for those kinds of customers.

I don't know about the current generation, but I think every previous Hillux/Tacoma was designed with a FBF. So yes, most of the little Toyota pickups and utes we see on CNN broadcasts are probably fully-boxed. This test was designed to show performance in poor off-road conditions, and fully-boxed trucks like a F150 or Hilux will have the advantage.

For a HD or tractor setup, an open frame would be more appropriate. But we're talking about half-ton pickups and smaller here, and in that regard, I stand by my assertion that the Tundra is inferior to its competition.
Old 08-11-07, 10:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

For a HD or tractor setup, an open frame would be more appropriate. But we're talking about half-ton pickups and smaller here, and in that regard, I stand by my assertion that the Tundra is inferior to its competition.
Truthfully, the Tundra's frame is a mixed design. The front section is fully boxed, and only the rear section is C-channel. Again, you haven't explained or provided proof of why or how the Tundra's frame is "inferior".
Old 08-11-07, 03:11 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I dont get why they have to make it bigger. What they going to do with a 2013 model? Its probably going to take up two lanes on the highway.
Well, since it is a Tundra based SUV, it follows the Tundras base dimensions which are nw quite large. I wouldn't expect it to get any bigger after this generation as there is no need for the Tundra to grow any bigger.
Old 08-11-07, 03:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The new Siverado and Sierra look terrible. I can't believe GM would mess up such important vehicles. The Tundra is the only truck that matters now. Every time I see one, I can't but stare.

The Tahoe/Suburban/Denali/Escalade on the other hand are far better looking. That is how the pickups should have looked.

Originally Posted by jimxo
I Still like the Caddy

Don't forget that the Escalade is a luxury class full size SUV costing a good amount more. The Sequoia is Expedition class for example.
Old 08-13-07, 04:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm looked more like an expidition to me but please toyota, move the shifter from the steering column reminds me to much of a minivan. but tundra suv or not, i would buy it anyways