Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler Nassau

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 05:08 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Chrysler Nassau

So, is this the new Chrysler 300C then ?

In a way, yes. The 300C gets a refresh late this year – and it’s likely to be the last for the popular and increasingly genre-defining American executive car. Replacing it won’t be easy, but the Nassau is a clear statement of intent from Chrysler. It’s based on the current 300C’s 120-inch (wheelbase) platform, it’s got a HEMI up front and drive to the rear. Mmm, sounds like a 300C replacement to us…

But don’t be fooled by the hatchback. This is a toe-in-the-water exercise to see if the market is ready for an executive hatchback. We’d argue it isn’t (think Avantime and Signum), but it sure makes for a good-looking Touring version – which is what we’re probably seeing here. Stick your thumb over the Nassau’s ‘aerodeck’ on this pic and that’s what the saloon will look like. Or at least we hope so, because it looks great in the flesh.

Yeah, yeah. Concepts never make it to production. We see that all the time, right ?

That’s often the case, but Chrysler (and Jeep) are different. Their concepts always drive extremely well and most are well into production feasibility studies by the time we get to see them. With this in mind, look at the side surfacing, the bold shoulders and the frontal aspect. All look production-realised and demonstrate what principal exterior designer Alan Barrington calls “a more emotional and artistic articulation of what it means to be a Chrysler.”

Surely that’s just designer guff ?

Nope. He’s got a point. Photos can’t do this car justice. Proportionally balanced and neatly surfaced, the Nassau does a pretty good job of carving a solid identity. Think of a Honda Legend and then think of its polar opposite. It’s a fresh, distinctive shape that challenges Chrysler’s own design conventions but retains a brand identity. Quite an achievement really.

We probed the designers to tell us specifically which other design elements would make it through to a production vehicle, but Sam Locricchio, Chrysler’s Design and Quality Communications bigwig, said ‘there’s a sniper on the roof so I can’t tell you.’ Not sure if the sniper was pointing at him or us, but we got the message…

What’s it like inside? Full of typical concept car excesses ?

Nope, there are no floating seats, holographic displays or joystick controls on this concept – just a tidy and well-executed cabin. The cockpit is wide, spacious and airy, and the dash looks like it was designed to work in both left and right hand drive applications.

The details and finishing touches inside were inspired by modern mobile phones, computers and iPods. Ben Chang, the Nassau’s interior designer, was also keen to mimic the increasingly effortless synchronicity between mp3 players/cellphones, the PC and the monkey hitting the buttons.

‘We strived to achieve a seamless interface between your car and the rest of your electronic world,” says Chang. The seats look and feel like they were designed to be mass produced – unlike most concepts – and perhaps the only element inside that us unlikely to make it through to production is the bold transmission tunnel. Extending through to the rear, the tunnel makes the Nassau Concept a strict four-seater.

So you got to drive it then ?

Yep. And we’re glad we did because the Nassau reveals more of its intriguing character when you get behind the wheel. Bearing in mind this is a concept, and it probably weighs about the same as Luxembourg, we won’t con you with a dynamic appraisal. It goes, stops, handles and rides pretty well.

The thing you notice when you’re wafting along in the Nassau is that it’s a completely different proposition to the 300C – less bullish and more serene. In fact, the word ‘regal’ found its way into our notes somehow. The fact is that the Nassau surprises. You don’t charge to your destination in this car, pretending to evade the cops and outrun the baddies (like every journey in a 300C), you take your time and you enjoy the ride.

Verdict
The Nassau makes us think that Chrysler is abandoning the muscular for something, well, more Lexus. Would that be a bad thing? The sole purpose of a concept is to explore alternatives, and this alternative is an interesting glimpse into the creative thinking going on at Chrysler at the moment. The Nassau’s proposition is graceful, progressive and classy and reinvents what contemporary American car design is all about.

Which if you think about it is just what the 300C did back in 2004. Let’s hope Chrysler, with its newly-handed powertrain dollars and lofty ambitions can see it through. Chrysler could be an American Lexus. Just think of it…

Chrysler Nassau:

How much? £27-40,000 (est)
Loans Breezeloans.co.uk - for great Secured Loan Rates CLICK HERE!
On sale in UK? TBA
Engine: 6059cc Hemi V8, 425bhp @ 6200rpm, 420lb ft @ 4800rpm
Transmission: 5-speed automatic
Performance: 0-60mph 5.0sec, 160mph, 20mpg (est)
How heavy/made of: 1900/steel kg/steel (est)
How big (length/width/height in mm)? 4981/1885/1496
Other models in the range: NA
Or try a... BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-Class, Lexus GS, Audi A6
via carmagazine
Old 08-13-07, 06:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a PT Cruiser... and if that is the new PT... WHOA.
Old 08-13-07, 07:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Looks like a PT Cruiser... and if that is the new PT... WHOA.
That's exactly what I thought before I scrolled down to read your post...
Old 08-13-07, 08:26 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yea, I saw this at the NY Auto show earlier this year. Its a very nice looknig vehicle (looks better in person). My Dad was seriously in love with it. I hope they build it.
Old 08-13-07, 09:50 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

much better than that ugly minivan
Old 08-13-07, 09:59 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Wowser

As long as they don't change anything, this is schweet

Check out that interior!!!
Old 08-13-07, 11:16 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great for a Chrysler. I don't know if most Americans will agree with me.

The hatchback look doesn't really appeal to most people, but I can appreciate how useful they can be.
Old 08-14-07, 05:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
It looks great for a Chrysler. I don't know if most Americans will agree with me.
I certainly don't. The styling is too similiar front and rear....you can't tell if it is coming or going. This car, if Chrysler does put it into production, will probably cause a big spike in 300 sales, especially if it replaces the 300.

IMO Chrysler doesn't need a car like this......they should keep the 300 in production, give it a little better-quality hardware inside and out, and maybe reduce the oversize Bentley grille a little.
Old 08-14-07, 06:00 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of the 300C to begin with. If this model replaces the 300, I hope it grows a trunk. I don't think people are ready for a large upscale stationwagon.
Old 08-14-07, 06:04 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I like everything but the back of it.......
Old 08-14-07, 09:20 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seriously doubt that this car is a 300 replacement.

It is just too risky these days to replace one of your best selling cars with something weird looking like this. If they do, then I guess they're relying on the Dodge Avenger/Chrysler Sebring for the bulk of their sedan sales.
Old 08-14-07, 09:30 AM
LexFather

I like it!!
However, if the next 300C is not another Bentley knock-off, no one will buy it. That is the MAIN reason it sells.

Old 08-14-07, 10:15 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

bucking the trend here: i dont like it ... at all ... it looks like maybe it trying to be a mazda, and maybe trying to be a toyota, and maybe trying to be all 'futurie' ... just no.
Old 08-14-07, 12:31 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

LMAO
somehow it made me think of the new Subaru Impreza