Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Least Expensive Luxury Vehicles to Own (Forbes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 06:56 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
So a fwd car based off of a Toyota Camry is a luxury car to you or an IS with a small v-6 that makes the same horespower as the Acura TSX I4 and has a joke of a rear seat for a four door is a luxury car but the TSX is not. There is no exact definition of a luxury car but if a fwd car based off a Toyota Camry is and a small car with a small engine putting out the same horsepower as the TSX then the TSX is just as much as a luxury car as they are. Real wood vs simulated wood does not define a luxury car. The "real" wood in my GS looks faker then most simulated wood I have seen and most people who get in my car think it is not real. The "real" wood in the IS is a ultra thin sliver of real wood about 1 or 2 mm think glued on a larger peice of plastic that is easily scratched and nicked and Lexus charges $1900 dollars to replace the center peice, not really luxury to me.

Alot of those cars in that list are not true "luxury cars" whatever the real definition is so the TSX belongs on their as well. It may not be a big car with a big v-8 but it is nicer, more expensive and better equipted with luxury features then your average car from non luxury brands like Nissan, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, etc. Maybe the list would make better sense by saying upmarket cars from upmarket brands and leave luxury to the very expensive Merc CL coupes, S class, Bimmer 7 series, Audi A8, Bentlys, etc.
Dude, have you even SAT in a new ES? The TSX is, as has been said, a rebadged Euro-Accord. The ES shares the same driveline but thats where it stops. The interior amenities, options, misc dynamics (like quietness of cabin, smoothness of how it drives) are not copied. Honda literally took a LHD Euro-Accord and slapped different badges and a slightly different grill on it.
Old 08-15-07, 07:55 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No its not. Its an EURO ACCORD with Acura badges. FWD and an I-4. Leather and fake wood do not make a luxury car.

Its a GOOD CAR, make no mistake about it. But not close to a luxury car.

+1
Old 08-15-07, 08:37 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take the ES350 over the IS anyday. I love the current styling of it. I preferred the last gen Altezza more than this one though...

ES>IS as of now
Old 08-15-07, 10:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Before I begin, let me state the TSX is a fine car. It does everything well. It is NOT a luxury car.
1. TSX has NEVER been in a comparo against an IS or 3 in ANY magazine. Its always cars like the Jetta, Legacy, etc. That is your FIRST clue this is not a luxury car. Its NEVER in luxury car comparisons.
2. The TSX is literally a Euro Accord with Honda badges. That is all.

3. The TSX is I-4 with FWD. Please name me a car from Lexus, BMW or Benz that has this combination. Do you know what cars ARE I-4 with FWD?
Camry, Civic, Corolla, Accord, Kia, Daewoo, Hyundai, GM, Ford, etc etc
4. The IS is based off the GS. It shares pretty much nothing with a Toyota sedan.
The ES (as TL) are based off Camrys/Accords. Lexus and Acura goes through the trouble of making the cars completely different inside and out as well as having options the Camry/Accord do not have.
5. The TSX is not PRICED like a luxury car. 27k to start, 29k loaded. That is less than loaded Camry's, Accords, Altimas etc.

Again, it is a fine car. It is not a luxury car. If you sit and drive a TSX and think that is luxury car, then my next car will be a Kia Rio with woodgrain and a sunroof and I'll slap some HIDs in it and call it a life.
I am not saying when I think of a luxury car the TSX comes to my mind, neither does the IS250 or ES350 or any of the cars on that list. What I am saying is that if they are considering cars like the IS250, ES350, Saab 9-3, Audi A3, or Volvo v50 to be luxury cars then the TSX belongs on that list, you only singled out the TSX for some reason and not the other cars. To me cars like the TSX, IS, 3 series, A4 are not real luxury cars but sporty entry level cars from luxury or upmarket makes that have nice interiors with luxury features. I like all those cars and would not mind owning any of them but they are not true luxury cars like a S class, 7 series. LS460, or A8. Those cars listed are not really priced like luxury cars either and most people could afford them. BMWs and Mercs have sold here and currently sell in Europe with 4 cylinders in their 3 series and C class as well as some other models. Their four cylinders are not good which is why Americans did not buy them and they stopped importing them here where the TSX 4 cylinder is a very good engine putting out power around some small v-6s. I have seen the TSX compared to a A4 and 3 series in a car magazine as well as a few others, I believe it was car and driver or road and track but I am not exactly sure.

I agree the TSX is a fine car and does not define the term luxury car if there is an exact definition but neither do any of those cars on that list including the IS and ES. Some of the cars are a little nicer and expensive then others but they all pretty much fall into the entry level upmarket sporty or small sports/luxury sedans and not pure expensive luxury cars like a S class, Maybach, 7 series, A8, LS460, etc.
Old 08-15-07, 11:13 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I'd take the ES350 over the IS anyday. I love the current styling of it. I preferred the last gen Altezza more than this one though...

ES>IS as of now
ES350's transmission sucks, no way I will buy a re-badged Camry, ES has the same 2g-fe engine, same FWD drive train, did I mentioned the transmission that Lexus pretends to have a solution but really does not?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284028
Old 08-16-07, 04:01 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool My $.02

As someone who has owned a 98 Accord EX-L & 2004 TSX: there is a definite step up in quality that makes me have no problem considering the TSX an entry level luxury car - not so much for the RSX, however.

On a related note: top of the line Camrys, Accords etc etc etc are now equipped w/ so many luxury items {LEDS, Navi, heated seats, dual climate control, push button start ... } that I have always thought that the line b/n those & entry level luxury cars was getting blurred & harder to justify.

Old 08-16-07, 05:26 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the TSX, the first time I drove that car was in Japan in my friend's Honda Accord (not even a Euro-R). And my first impression of that car was "damn this car seems too nice for an Accord". It drove awesome, interior fits and finishes were better than some Hondas within those years, and just felt like a huge step up from the previous Honda Accord.

However, a luxury car? Errr...dunno about that. Really nice and sporty car, just dunno about luxury. I would love to have one as a dd though.
Old 08-16-07, 06:41 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why in the heck are you guys only picking on the the TSX, look at that list again do you consider half the cars on that list to be luxury? Most are in the same boat..