Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VP Marketing Deborah Wahl Meyer leaves Lexus for Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 01:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default VP Marketing Deborah Wahl Meyer leaves Lexus for Chrysler

http://www.adweek.com/aw/national/ar..._id=1003626465

Chrysler to Hire Lexus Exec
August 15, 2007
By Steve Miller

Chrysler spends about $1.4 billion annually on ads.
DETROIT Chrysler will add Lexus vp, marketing Deborah Wahl Meyer to its executive team, sources told Brandweek today.

Meyer will report to Steven Landry, evp of North American sales and marketing, per sources. She replaces George Murphy, svp, global brand management since 2001, who was let go in May.

That move came shortly after Cerberus Capital Management sealed the deal to purchase 80 percent of Chrysler. The agreement was finalized this month.

A Lexus representative said that Meyer "has not officially resigned," and declined to comment further. Lexus has removed photos of Meyer from its Web site. A Chrysler rep also declined comment.
Meyer joined Toyota in 2001; previously she was at Lincoln-Mercury and Mazda.
Old 08-15-07, 02:02 PM
LexFather

Lexus did state they really are revamping their marketing efforts. I think they will continue to go upscale and expand on have Lexus venues....

Old 08-15-07, 05:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just don't get it; what Chrysler needs is better products, not better marketing. And Lexus no doubt wants to elevate their marketing to the next level.
Old 08-15-07, 06:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
what Chrysler needs is better products, not better marketing.
second that ... you can market a crappy product all you want but at the end of the day it's still crappy and your customers are still coming back unhappy and not really in the mood to be a repeat customer.

HEAR THAT CHRYSLER!!! MAKE BETTER CARS

like, they could cut their line to maybe ~3 cars and just do a damn good job of those 3 cars to re-establish credibility and a name that is a least a little synonomous [sp] w. some level of decent quality
Old 08-16-07, 12:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
They just don't get it; what Chrysler needs is better products, not better marketing. And Lexus no doubt wants to elevate their marketing to the next level.
I know that some commercials worked for me like subway and the McDonalds McRib, but I haven't ran out to buy a chrysler yet

Good luck to her for helping Chrysler out...........she's going to need more than luck though
Old 08-16-07, 09:43 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I know that some commercials worked for me like subway and the McDonalds McRib, but I haven't ran out to buy a chrysler yet

Good luck to her for helping Chrysler out...........she's going to need more than luck though
couple bucks vs a few grand ... whats the difference?
Old 08-16-07, 09:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Once a consumer reaches a certain level, flashy ads do little to promote it. While nice eye candy, that is all it becomes. Then, one cannot speak of the masses who's zombie like buying habits are so easily swayed by TV commercials. I suppose this is what Chrysler thinks will improve sales?
Old 08-16-07, 03:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good points..."it's the product, stupid" has been a part of Lexus philosophy since the beginning...the slick marketing was gravy which helped as well.

I suppose Ms. Meyer's insider knowledge may not have as big an impact, given that Chrysler is no longer allied with Mercedes. If she had 'defected' to Benz, that would be a different story.
Old 08-16-07, 03:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i always liked the gx commercial with john legend. and even though i want cars like the lx to be marketed more, i dont want it to become like an escalade where everyone saw it then bought it.
Old 08-16-07, 04:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This wont help sales at all. Like everyone already pointed out, advertising can only do so much. After that you're going to need good products to sell. I don't see that happening with Chrysler anytime soon or at all.
Old 08-16-07, 04:07 PM
LexFather

Well not sure if this was an issue has it has improved in recent years but there is still a "ceiling" when it comes to American execs trying to move up. Jim Press who recently joined the board is the only non Japanese member.

Its like the Lexus mafia!!