Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Infiniti M45S and M45X

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 03:46 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Just for comparisons sake

Don't tell me they used S as in type S also.

No hatin' on my part
They look good, even mercedes is borrowing the headlight
Old 08-16-07, 05:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice updates IMO. The interiors especially look nice...right colors and contrasts in the right places.
Old 08-16-07, 06:06 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

They made the car blander. Truth be told I liked the previous
M45 sport and associated aero package better. I am not going to
be rushing out to trade in my GS300AWD for a M45X that's for sure.

Incidentally I was just at the Infiniti dealer checking out the new G37
and it will absolutely sell. They covered up the hideous chrome spoiler
with a good old fashioned plastic one that looks good. I even considered
leasing one for 5 minutes until I closed the door and remembered how
crappy Infiniti's materials are in comparison to Lexus. No hating, just
stating an honest opinion...
Old 08-16-07, 06:56 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC4
I'll take the white M45S please. Why so much Infiniti hating here? Is it because they can actually make a car that handles well? Anyways similar to the G or not, I'd totally rock the 08 M45 over the boring GS or anything else in its class.
Indeed

The M has more character in its grille than in the entire GS frame. Seriously, I've said this before and I'll say it again - Lexus removed all the character that the previous generation GS had and replaced it with blandness.

The M has style, character, features, reliability, and excellent handling to boot. Add an AWD system to the V8 and I agree with what Och said in that it should finally put the GS out of its misery.

Maybe then Lexus will wake up and realize that their "performance luxury sedan" needs to look and perform like the sports sedan it claims to be - and not a feminine-looking cruiser.
Old 08-16-07, 07:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Indeed

The M has more character in its grille than in the entire GS frame. Seriously, I've said this before and I'll say it again - Lexus removed all the character that the previous generation GS had and replaced it with blandness.

The M has style, character, features, reliability, and excellent handling to boot. Add an AWD system to the V8 and I agree with what Och said in that it should finally put the GS out of its misery.

Maybe then Lexus will wake up and realize that their "performance luxury sedan" needs to look and perform like the sports sedan it claims to be - and not a feminine-looking cruiser.
Amazing, to put the GS out its misery. How about a reminder.
M30 discontinued. GS 300 comes out. Not a home run, but shows the GErmans the Japanese can build an interesting sedan. Infiniti lags.
2GS debuts, wins multiple awards, showing the Japanese can indeed build a top luxury sports sedan. Where was Infiniti?
Then they bring us a M45, which makes matters worse, loses badly in every single comparo, does nothing to help the cause.
After 2 years, a new M35/45 comes out. Home run, no doubt. 3GS debuts as well, a double, triple in GS 450h form.

GS outsells M 35/45 first year, (not sure who outsold who 2nd year but lets give it to the M35/45), GS has basically no V-8 model sold this year and only the GS 450h (limited production). M has lease deals galore, etc.

M leads GS by 600 sales YTD.

Yet you say "put the GS out its misery".

When the M 30/35/45 wasn't even around, the GS was the ONLY Japanese sports sedan holding it down for the East. Remember that.

Old 08-16-07, 07:40 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Indeed
Add an AWD system to the V8 and I agree with what Och said in that it should finally put the GS out of its misery.

Add an AWD system to that inefficient V8 and you will have a gas guzzler
of unbelievable proportions. Remember it is a Nissan engine and it only has 5 speeds.
Refinement is not their strong point.

The 3GS is a bit bland, but you cannot convince me that the M is a
ground breaking design...
Old 08-16-07, 08:29 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Oh great... 1SICKLEX has done it again. His infamous random vehicle comparison images. I thought he would grow out of such a bad habit; guess not. Yet, if I do the same on Lexus, its automatically incorrect. He's always doing these "Hit & Runs" and then states he's out of this thread

ElitistK, those pictures didn't help your claim at all. The Mercedes Benz pictures were just laughably against your own personal stance on family resemblance.

I expected something better out of this forum; I always thought of most Lexus owners as a bit more mature and open minded.

As far as the GS & IS in terms of family resemblance... I see it almost as close as the G35-M35 resemblance; althought I'll admit that the M resembles the G a bit more than the GS does to the IS.

There's a Lexus GS430 [& G35] in our family garage that I admire every dat for its greatness. But that doesn't mean im going to be completely close minded like some individuals here.

Sadly, all of this bashing is reflecting this site negatively. But i'm sure some will consider this bashing just "opinions"

Last edited by S8B; 08-16-07 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 08:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
Oh great... 1SICKLEX has done it again. His infamous random vehicle comparison images. I thought he would grow out of such a bad habit; guess not. Yet, if I do the same on Lexus, its automatically incorrect. He's always doing these "Hit & Runs" and then states he's out of this thread

ElitistK, those pictures didn't help your claim at all. The Mercedes Benz pictures were just laughably against your own personal stance on family resemblance.

I expected something better out of this forum; I always thought of most Lexus owners as a bit more mature and open minded.

As far as the GS & IS in terms of family resemblance... I see it almost as close as the G35-M35 resemblance; althought I'll admit that the M resembles the G a bit more than the GS does to the IS.

There's a Lexus GS430 [& G35] in our family garage that I admire every dat for its greatness. But that doesn't mean im going to be completely close minded like some individuals here.

Sadly, all of this bashing is reflecting this site negatively. But i'm sure some will consider this bashing just "opinions"

Only 30 something posts in this topic with a few different individuals and you conclude the entire Club Lexus shares the same opinions? I guess when they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease it applies to the few vocal members of any car forum will be thought of as having the voice of the entire forum?

I said it many times in other posts. I think the M35/45 is the best car in its class. With the new 07+ GS35/37 I think Infiniti may also have another best in class car.

You have to expect that owners of certain manufacturers will have vocal biases for their own brand whether they are purely opinions or actually based on fact. Opinions are just that. Opinions. No need to get too upset about it. Now, if you are correcting a factual error that is one thing, but trying to change other peoples opinions is pretty pointless unless it is based on false facts. But even then most of the time people don't care and will continue to believe the wrong information that formed their opinion. The best thing to do is add your two cents about the car and move on.
Old 08-16-07, 08:51 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Another Infiniti bashing *sigh*.........
Old 08-16-07, 08:56 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So on the internet, people cannot post their thoughts?No, its called "hating". lol
Oh noes, Lexus can't handle, they crash in turns!!!

No one here has said its a bad or poor car. Quite the contrary, its a fine ride. Don't expect everyone to be floored by it.
Lexus may not crash in turns, but they certainly don't handle well enough to be called a sports sedan. The term "sports sedan" is thrown around too loosely nowadays.

Anyways I think the facelift M looks great. I dont know why people complain that it looks like the G, its called brand identity. Double arch grill, L shape headlights and tailights are signature Infiniti. Benz all look the same across the board. BMW has the kidney grills and halo lights. Audi A4-A8 all look the same. Even Acuras have an identity most noted by the new grilles. Lexus seems to be lacking continuity across the lineup. I just wish they threw in some more bold design cues. But hey... I guess whatever sells cars.

Last edited by MikeSC4; 08-16-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 09:02 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Only 30 something posts in this topic with a few different individuals and you conclude the entire Club Lexus shares the same opinions? I guess when they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease it applies to the few vocal members of any car forum will be thought of as having the voice of the entire forum?

I said it many times in other posts. I think the M35/45 is the best car in its class. With the new 07+ GS35/37 I think Infiniti may also have another best in class car.

You have to expect that owners of certain manufacturers will have vocal biases for their own brand whether they are purely opinions or actually based on fact. Opinions are just that. Opinions. No need to get too upset about it. Now, if you are correcting a factual error that is one thing, but trying to change other peoples opinions is pretty pointless unless it is based on false facts. But even then most of the time people don't care and will continue to believe the wrong information that formed their opinion. The best thing to do is add your two cents about the car and move on.

By no means did I mean to generalize the whole Cluxlexus.com community. My apologies for my wrongful wordings.

It's just that there are a few particular members in here who possess such a close minded & narrow views. Either that, or im not seeing something they are. [Those few individuals seem to play a big role in this community].

IE. The familiy resemblance problem is only brough up as an issue with Infiniti vehicles. When in reality, its about the same with every manufacture. Some members even go as far as saying "sameness".

I'll leave it to this: I respectully, completely disagree with the Family resemblance "issue" and the random picture comparison images.

Once again, I apollogize for generalizing the whole community; that was certainly not my intentions.

Last edited by S8B; 08-16-07 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 09:05 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeSC4
Lexus may not crash in turns, but they certainly don't handle well enough to be called a sports sedan. The term "sports sedan" is thrown around too loosely nowadays.

Anyways I think the facelift M looks great. I dont know why people complain that it looks like the G, its called brand identity. Double arch grill, L shape headlights and tailights are signature Infiniti. Benz all look the same across the board. BMW has the kidney grills and halo lights. Audi A4-A8 all look the same. Even Acuras have an identity most noted by the new grilles. Lexus seems to be lacking continuity across the lineup. I just wish they threw in some more bold design cues. But hey... I guess whatever sells cars.
We share the same opinion in regards to brand identity.

Old 08-16-07, 09:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
By no means did I mean to generalize the whole Cluxlexus.com community. My apologies for my wrongful wordings.

It's just that there are a few particular members in here who possess such a close minded & narrow views. Either that, or im not seeing something they are. [Those few individuals seem to play a big role in this community].

IE. The familiy resemblance problem is only brough up as an issue with Infiniti vehicles. When in reality, its about the same with every manufacture. Some members even go as far as saying "sameness".

I'll leave it to this: I respectully, completely disagree with the Family resemblance "issue" and the random picture comparison images.

Once again, I apollogize for generalizing the whole community; that was certainly not my intentions.

You have to realize just don't take things too personally on any car forum. I own a BMW as well so I'm on various BMW forums. Some of the comments from members there are borderline racists when it comes to most other Japanese competitors. I used to own a lot of Acura cars before and there are also a lot of closed minded people there. Same as here. What you need to learn to do is weed out the facts from the fanboy opinions. A lot of these somewhat biased members also have very good factual knowledge about the Lexus line of cars, so you might learn a lot of cool info about the Lexus which really is why you'd come to a Lexus forum anyway. If you wanted to learn more factual knowledge about the Infiniti, you'd probably should learn from Infiniti owners who know more about that car than others.
Old 08-16-07, 10:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I like the interior but I wish they offered a light birds eye maple wood or a dark cherry. I don't really care for the color of that wood in the picture or what is available now although some people really like it. Plus I think cars in this price segment should have power heated and cooled rear seats and rear radio/cd players with headphones pretty much standard by now. There are too many less expensive cars out there that pretty much have all the options these 50K cars have available and auto manufactures need to set these cars apart with more standard features not available on less expensive cars and nicer more exotic materials. I have been in several GM SUVs that have rear heated seats and radios and pretty much all the options currently available in most mid size 50K luxury cars which is pretty sad. Still I like the M45, I just wish it was a little lower and sleeker like the concept and pre production show car with white leather accents.
Old 08-17-07, 12:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

"Put the GS out of it's misery"

Do some of you have a personal vendetta against the GS or something? Comments like those are just plain ridiculous .

For all those that consider CL a mature and open minded community, you're only making it worse by posting narrow minded comments such as "put the GS out of it's misery".

Oh and for the record, the M45x will do little to change M sales. GS460 should do more for GS sales just because for 2007 so far the GS430 has a been a special order item, so as SICK said GS this year was selling without the V8 model basically.

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti M45S and M45X