Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Infiniti M45S and M45X

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 08:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Infiniti M series cars are excellent and are well made vehicles. Society is filled with the have and have nots. Infiniti should host a driving event this year so folks who have not owned or driven these cars can actually get behind the wheel and experience them instead of getting pudgy, eating bon bons, and relying on car magazine comparos.
Old 08-17-07, 08:48 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice improvements inside and out.

A bit disappointed that they didn't upgrade the powertrain.

Funny, when the M35 and M45 first came out just a couple years ago, they were pretty much the fastest vehicles in their respective classes. Since then:

530i --> 535i
GS300 --> GS350

545i --> 550i
GS430 --> GS460
E500 --> E550

So now, the M35 and M45 are among the slowest. M37 and M50 are inevitable. Go hp wars, go!
Old 08-17-07, 09:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy101
Nice improvements inside and out.

A bit disappointed that they didn't upgrade the powertrain.

Funny, when the M35 and M45 first came out just a couple years ago, they were pretty much the fastest vehicles in their respective classes. Since then:

530i --> 535i
GS300 --> GS350

545i --> 550i
GS430 --> GS460
E500 --> E550

So now, the M35 and M45 are among the slowest. M37 and M50 are inevitable. Go hp wars, go!

Not sure about what you're saying. I don't have the latest acceleration numbers for each of these cars but it sounds like you're saying larger displacement equals speed, which is not necessarily so. It's true that the 5 and GS cars have gone up in displacement but I'm not sure how much of a speed boost they got in the process. And keep in mind that the M cars already had bigger engines that most of their competitors to start with. So now it looks like this: M35-3.5V6 vs. GS350-3.5V6 vs. 535-3.5V6. All are 3.5s now. M45-4.5V8 vs. GS460-4.6V8 vs. 545-4.5V8. All pretty even now.

But you're right... Infiniti is probably readying new engines for the M cars.
Old 08-17-07, 11:22 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a pretty big difference between the 3rd gen GS300 and the GS350. Displacement DOES add power for the most part and the 2GR in the Lexus is pretty spectacular. It dynos higher than even the new 3.7L V6 Infiniti has in the G37 coupe when you compare auto to auto. Almost all dyno numbers released comparing the two have been auto vs manual.

Also, the GS430 to GS460 jump is MUCH more than just a .3L displacement increase. You're looking at a near 100hp jump in power output with better gas mileage.... I'd say thats rather significant wouldnt you?
Old 08-17-07, 12:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thing looks like a toyota avalon.

Old 08-17-07, 04:00 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Add an AWD system to that inefficient V8 and you will have a gas guzzler
of unbelievable proportions.
Right, because anyone who can afford an M45x is terribly concerned about gas mileage.

Any AWD V8 mid size sedan is going to deliver poor mpg #'s, so I don't really see what your point is.

Remember it is a Nissan engine and it only has 5 speeds.
Refinement is not their strong point.

The 3GS is a bit bland, but you cannot convince me that the M is a
ground breaking design...
Not groundbreaking, but very appealing nonetheless. Strong stance, smooth lines, aggressive, yet not too aggressive styling. It's a winner and it doesn't look like an ordinary sedan (*cough cough* Maxima *cough cough*) like the GS does (no matter how many useless photos 1SickLex posts to try to convince everyone otherwise).
Old 08-17-07, 04:15 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Right, because anyone who can afford an M45x is terribly concerned about gas mileage.

Any AWD V8 mid size sedan is going to deliver poor mpg #'s, so I don't really see what your point is.
My point is Lexus builds engines that make Nissan's engines look crude.
I test drove the M45 and then the LS460 in a very short span and came
away much more impressed by the LS460.

Not groundbreaking, but very appealing nonetheless. Strong stance, smooth lines, aggressive, yet not too aggressive styling. It's a winner and it doesn't look like an ordinary sedan (*cough cough* Maxima *cough cough*) like the GS does (no matter how many useless photos 1SickLex posts to try to convince everyone otherwise).
The difference is that the GS looks like a Maxima while the M
IS a Maxima...
Old 08-17-07, 04:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M is not a Maxima, it is Gloria in Japan, RWD VS FWD Maxima...
and they finally made the taillight look better, I hate the rear of the M and that's the reason I don't put it in my shopping list...
now I can seriously consider it...
Old 08-17-07, 04:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

M35/45 is Fuga in Japan ...
Old 08-17-07, 05:02 PM
LexFather

You can go into your OWN Nissan forum and see threads about dismal gas mileage. Clearly its not a huge issue but it is an issue.
The 5 and GS have really good gas mileage as a V-8. The GS450h is amazing, faster or as fast as these V-8s with fuel economy in the 20s. That is TRUE advancement.

It looks ordinary to me and tons of people. Automobile just stated in their Long term Write up how "bland" it was to look at and no one stared at it. Styling is subjective, you seem to love it, others are not impressed. If you don't see similarities, I cannot even take you serious.
Overall, again, its a fine car, its selling well, its performed well, its a hit, no doubt. Don't expect everyone to share your exact sentiments.

God is in the details. God loves Lexus!!

Old 08-17-07, 06:18 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You can go into your OWN Nissan forum and see threads about dismal gas mileage. Clearly its not a huge issue but it is an issue.
I don't have my own Nissan forum.

The 5 and GS have really good gas mileage as a V-8.
The gas mileage on both is "ok", but nothing to brag about. They're still V8s and thus, by nature, gas guzzlers. Adding AWD will only bring down the mpg even further, which was the point of my post.

The GS450h is amazing, faster or as fast as these V-8s with fuel economy in the 20s. That is TRUE advancement.
True advancement would have been fuel economy in the 30s. I'm sorry, but for a hybrid, I think most were expecting better #'s with the 450h. The LS600h is even more disappointing. I still can't understand why anyone would buy that car over the standard LS460L, when it produces practically the same 0-60, 1/4 mile numbers and delivers the same exact mpg #'s as well

Both models are a stepping stone to bigger and better things of course, but there's a reason why the 450h isn't selling (average fuel economy, uninspiring design).
Old 08-17-07, 07:58 PM
LexFather

I don't have my own Nissan forum.

Try freshalloy, tons of MPG talk there.

The gas mileage on both is "ok", but nothing to brag about. They're still V8s and thus, by nature, gas guzzlers. Adding AWD will only bring down the mpg even further, which was the point of my post.

I know all about gas guzzling. I get 16 when I'm flooring it, 24 on the highway behaving. The GS 430 engine debuted in 2001 and a bore/stroke of the 4.0, not really an all new engine. It dates back to 1992 with the original 1UZ. VVti added in 1998 helped with power and fuel economy.
The M45 engine is from the Q45 engine, an all new engine in 2002. It does has .2 more cubes of displacement and it gets worse gas mileage than the GS 430.
Clearly AWD brings gas mileage down. No point needs to be made, that is common knowledge.

As you stated and I agree with, gas mileage is not a major concern with V-8 buyers.

True advancement would have been fuel economy in the 30s. I'm sorry, but for a hybrid, I think most were expecting better #'s with the 450h.
You can't say that, since Nissan cannot even develop a hybrid synergy drive system. They buy the OLD Toyota systems. The GS 450h is not the cure to all problems but there is nothing else like it. It was a huge risk and gamble and the only car more technologically advanced is its bigger brother the LS 600h L. Its main drawback is the small trunk. It is the first of its kind. How can you say this is not advanced?
20-25%% better fuel economy than a V-8.
V-8 performance. It is the fastest Lexus according to Lexus. 0-60 in 5.2 and high 13 second 1/4 mile times.
340hp. 40 more than the GS 430.
Weight is almost not an issue. It weighs 4100lbs WITH battery packs. The M45 weighs over 4000, as the E550.

The LS600h is even more disappointing. I still can't understand why anyone would buy that car over the standard LS460L, when it produces practically the same 0-60, 1/4 mile numbers and delivers the same exact mpg #'s as well
You don't understand that market. Lexus clearly does, almost everyone is spoken for. Again, its the first of its kind. Look how far the Prius has come from its first generation to today.
Both models are a stepping stone to bigger and better things of course, but there's a reason why the 450h isn't selling (average fuel economy, uninspiring design)
The 450h is selling. It is a LIMITED VOLUME MODEL. Only 2,000 for the USA and they sell them all.

Old 08-17-07, 08:55 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You have to realize just don't take things too personally on any car forum. I own a BMW as well so I'm on various BMW forums. Some of the comments from members there are borderline racists when it comes to most other Japanese competitors. I used to own a lot of Acura cars before and there are also a lot of closed minded people there. Same as here. What you need to learn to do is weed out the facts from the fanboy opinions. A lot of these somewhat biased members also have very good factual knowledge about the Lexus line of cars, so you might learn a lot of cool info about the Lexus which really is why you'd come to a Lexus forum anyway. If you wanted to learn more factual knowledge about the Infiniti, you'd probably should learn from Infiniti owners who know more about that car than others.
I understand your point

My point is Lexus builds engines that make Nissan's engines look crude.
I test drove the M45 and then the LS460 in a very short span and came
away much more impressed by the LS460.

IS a Maxima...

There's two things wrong with this statement:

1) The LS460 is another level beyond the M45; Infiniti has yet to offer a true competitor to the LS & 7-Series. I will agree to the fact that Nissan engines feel rougher as compared to Toyota engines; but that's what I love about the Nissan engines... its such a thrill to push, whereas Toyota's engines feel much more refined & suble as far as "feel". It's all about personal preference.

2) The M35/M45 is not a Maxima; its a Nissan Fuga over in Japan.

Last edited by S8B; 08-17-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 09:27 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

Buying a high performance hybrid car is pointless IMO. If you're concerned about mileage you shouldn't be going 0-60 in 5.4 seconds anyway. If I purchased a top of the line V8 I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage. Instead I'm concerned about whether or not theres open road so I can floor the beast every chance I get.

And as stated before the M looks nothing like the Maxima. The only similarities are that they are large in size and have quad exhaust tips. I remember being on these boards when the 3GS was revealed. All I read was how similar it looked to the Maxima. And of course comparison pics followed.
Old 08-17-07, 10:14 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

IS a Maxima...

The M is the nissan fuga first of all, and an M looks nothing like a maxima. The GS already mimicked that look

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti M45S and M45X