Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Infiniti M45S and M45X

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 11:59 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuga, Shmuga, this is a cowardly, gutless design
Old 08-18-07, 01:05 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

At least from my point of view, the M35 and Maxima share way to many similarities. Nissan like other companies like to have a certain family resemblance. The M35 is a Nissan (Fuga) so it will share certain characteristics. Nothing really wrong with that (for some people), but its a given. Like others said, it is not a bad car (I respect it), but its also not great...at least to me.

Lastly, as a Maxima owner and lover, the current 6th gen Maxima is a clear rip off of the 1st and 2nd gen GS. No GS looks like a Maxima, its the other way around. No Maxima before the 6th gen ever had the styling characteristics of a GS (long hood, short deck, sloping roof line). ANd during the process they totally forgot about what the Nissan Maxima means to the enthusiast.
Old 08-18-07, 11:38 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm digging the M45x!!

I still love the interior of the M.
Old 08-18-07, 12:10 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Fuga, Shmuga, this is a cowardly, gutless design
A cowardly gutless design that took alot of the E, 5 and GS market share . Time and time again this car has outperformed the competition. (FACT) The GS is definitely no breakthrough design. I mean it did copy e-class headlights and current gen maxima. And for a car that is supposedly very successful, it sure doesnt have the sales numbers of bmw and mercedes. No headroom in the rear and small trunk probably and the so-so design contributed to that
Old 08-18-07, 12:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I don't have my own Nissan forum.

The gas mileage on both is "ok", but nothing to brag about. They're still V8s and thus, by nature, gas guzzlers. Adding AWD will only bring down the mpg even further, which was the point of my post.

True advancement would have been fuel economy in the 30s. I'm sorry, but for a hybrid, I think most were expecting better #'s with the 450h. The LS600h is even more disappointing. I still can't understand why anyone would buy that car over the standard LS460L, when it produces practically the same 0-60, 1/4 mile numbers and delivers the same exact mpg #'s as well

Both models are a stepping stone to bigger and better things of course, but there's a reason why the 450h isn't selling (average fuel economy, uninspiring design).
Gas mileage in the 30s? For a high powered V8 RWD luxury sedan? You're kidding right? At this point, technology and physics make that impossible. Maybe in a few decades.

Again, the GS and 5 Series V8 models both have very good (class leading) fuel economy. The LS460 also has class leading fuel economy. The car weights over 4000lbs, and achieves better fuel economy to an M45, a lighter and less powerful car. Now that's advancement.

As for the LS600h, it weighs roughly 5000lbs (about the weight of a full size pickup) AND it has AWD. Plus, the LS600h is rated using 2008 EPA numbers that use a more stringest testing method. The LS460 is currently rated using 2007 EPA ratings, so the 2008 LS460 will see it's fuel economy ratings drop.

All real-world reviews so far show that the LS hybrid achieves noticeably better fuel economy than an LS460.
Old 08-18-07, 04:48 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Gas mileage in the 30s? For a high powered V8 RWD luxury sedan? You're kidding right? At this point, technology and physics make that impossible. Maybe in a few decades.
Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. I was referring to the 3.5L V6 in the GS450h - You know, the same engine that gets 30mpg in the Toyota Avalon. How can you say it's impossible for the same engine to get at least the same if not better mpg with a hybrid electric motor attached to it when it already achieves 30 mpg in a non-hybrid form?

I think that's what's so disappointing about this car. It's the same engine that gets 30mpg on the highway in the Avalon, yet gets fewer mpg in the GS which is a hybrid. Sorry, but I guess I just don't see the GS450h achieving mpg in the 30s as such an impossibility like you do.
Old 08-19-07, 10:30 AM
1BlackM3
Driver School Candidate

I like the design of the M better than the GS. The GS looks so much like the Avalon it's crazy. Lexus needs to get away from toyota as much as possible even the LS looks like a stretch Camry.
Infiniti has become a bigger threat to BMW than Lexus. I mean the entry level Lexus is a front wheel drive sedan. The IS is a Corolla with a kit on it with a large motor. Thats why it's a woman car.
With the M you're getting performance and luxury not just luxury like the GS.
Old 08-19-07, 11:28 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I like it...sure there is a family resemeblance. Though with many current cars, there are enough styling ques that are variations on other manufacturers.

For the enthusiast certainly whatever they want... they motivate the companies to give me more car for the $$ spent. A strong engine is nice and makes for additional sales motivation. For me, I'm less particular if the car does the 1/4 in 14.5 or 15. LA/OC isn't conductive to Autobahn level driving so anytime I can get the car up to 70, it is a gift here. I do like MPG since we'll take modest 200-400 miles drives. Certainly in town I don't want to experience 14 MPG.

As they say...if they build it and good enough, I'll be inclined to consider or buy it. So far Lexus has done what I like and my other contender is Infinity.
Old 08-19-07, 02:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. I was referring to the 3.5L V6 in the GS450h - You know, the same engine that gets 30mpg in the Toyota Avalon. How can you say it's impossible for the same engine to get at least the same if not better mpg with a hybrid electric motor attached to it when it already achieves 30 mpg in a non-hybrid form?

I think that's what's so disappointing about this car. It's the same engine that gets 30mpg on the highway in the Avalon, yet gets fewer mpg in the GS which is a hybrid. Sorry, but I guess I just don't see the GS450h achieving mpg in the 30s as such an impossibility like you do.
In your post you were talking about V8 engines as well as the GS hybrid.

Also, FYI the 2008 Avalon gets 19/28 EPA mpg.
http://www.toyota.com/avalon/specs.html

The 2008 GS450h gets 25/28 EPA mpg. Compared to the Avalon, the GS is quite a bit heavier, offers more HP and torque, offers way better overall performance compared to the Avalon. and much better emissions. Apples to apples, based on 2008 EPA ratings the GS hybrid beats the Avalon in the city by 6mpg, and ties it on hwy mpg. Such an accomplishment can only be considered an advancement.

You must understand all cars will see their EPA ratings drop for 2008 because of the new, more stringest testing system. The LS hybrid and GS hybrid will look a lot more efficient in the eyes of critics once they see the EPA ratings for all other 2008 vehicles.

Originally Posted by 1BlackM3
I like the design of the M better than the GS. The GS looks so much like the Avalon it's crazy. Lexus needs to get away from toyota as much as possible even the LS looks like a stretch Camry.
Infiniti has become a bigger threat to BMW than Lexus. I mean the entry level Lexus is a front wheel drive sedan. The IS is a Corolla with a kit on it with a large motor. Thats why it's a woman car.
With the M you're getting performance and luxury not just luxury like the GS.
Are you sure you didn't confuse the GS with the M?

That M sure looks awfully similar to the 1st gen Avalon.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 08-19-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 04:58 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

In your post you were talking about V8 engines as well as the GS hybrid.

Also, FYI the 2008 Avalon gets 19/28 EPA mpg.
http://www.toyota.com/avalon/specs.html

The 2008 GS450h gets 25/28 EPA mpg. Compared to the Avalon, the GS is quite a bit heavier, offers more HP and torque, offers way better overall performance compared to the Avalon. and much better emissions. Apples to apples, based on 2008 EPA ratings the GS hybrid beats the Avalon in the city by 6mpg, and ties it on hwy mpg. Such an accomplishment can only be considered an advancement.
25/28 is decent gas mileage, but not good enough to be called a hybrid, IMO. Unlike all other hybrids, the mpg of the GS450h does not justify the additional expense over the base model (GS350). Everyone knows the Camry hybrid costs more than the SE, but after several years of ownership, the additional mpg should balance out the difference in initial cost. That is the point I am trying to make here.

Yes, the 450h is powerful and performs well, but it's still a hybrid. I don't think 25/28 is that great of an advancement, especially when compared to the cheaper, almost as powerful and almost as fuel efficient GS350.
Old 08-19-07, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

25/28 is decent gas mileage, but not good enough to be called a hybrid, IMO. Unlike all other hybrids, the mpg of the GS450h does not justify the additional expense over the base model (GS350). Everyone knows the Camry hybrid costs more than the SE, but after several years of ownership, the additional mpg should balance out the difference in initial cost. That is the point I am trying to make here.

Yes, the 450h is powerful and performs well, but it's still a hybrid. I don't think 25/28 is that great of an advancement, especially when compared to the cheaper, almost as powerful and almost as fuel efficient GS350.
Dude, they cannot MAKE a hybrid. No one else can make a RWD, AWD V-8 or V-6 hyrbid but Lexus I dont' care if it makes 10 MPG, its a hybrid. You keep forgetting it makes MORE power and is faster than the M45.

You cannot talk about the "cost" of ownership as that is VARIABLE. A hybrid makes more sense from a MPG standpoint if you DRIVE MORE. To others, they like the "Greener" image and the emissions are much cleaner than a gas engine. Until Nissan can stop buying Toyota tech and make their own, you really should not harp on the GS 450h.

Both cars are sensational, GS and M. As well as the E and 5. Even the RL, S80 (Volvo), STS, etc are all superb. Guess what they all look like something. So lets us all (including me) stop debating that subjective point.

This class has never been better.

Old 08-19-07, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Seems Infiniti threads generate more passion than anything outside the debate forum.

I still don't care for the center stack on the M and they need at least a 6 speed auto. Apart from that though, it's a great car.
Old 08-19-07, 06:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's your opinion. With all things considered, there is NO car in the world that provides the combination of performance, refinement, super low emissions, and fuel economy. A diesel E Class or 5 Series doesn't cut it because they have less refinement due to diesel powertrains and significantly more emissions than the GS hybrid.

Considering this is the 1st RWD hybrid Toyota has *ever* done (LS hybrid being the 2nd) I'd say it's a pretty damn good achievement. You can't expect amazing advancement from the 1st generation.
Old 08-19-07, 06:42 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's your opinion. With all things considered, there is NO car in the world that provides the combination of performance, refinement, super low emissions, and fuel economy. A diesel E Class or 5 Series doesn't cut it because they have less refinement due to diesel powertrains and significantly more emissions than the GS hybrid.

Considering this is the 1st RWD hybrid Toyota has *ever* done (LS hybrid being the 2nd) I'd say it's a pretty damn good achievement. You can't expect amazing advancement from the 1st generation.
How does being a diesel automatically make the E and 5 less refined? We're not in the '80s or '90s anymore.
Old 08-19-07, 09:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
How does being a diesel automatically make the E and 5 less refined? We're not in the '80s or '90s anymore.
A diesel 5 or E compared to a GS hybrid? Well, the GS engine first off is detuned for further refinement and fuel efficiency at the cost of less power. Then the hybrid system is added and that includes an eCVT. So you have a very smooth and very refined gas engine tuned for refinement and fuel economy as well as a CVT where you feel no gear shifts. Also, you sometimes will run on electric power completely and the car will be totally silent. A diesel can't beat that, nor can a gas engine. A GS hybrid is more refined not just than it's diesel competition, but against any gas-engined competition.

Modern diesels are close to gas engines in refinement, but neither can beat the refinement of a gas-hybrid system.

Compared to any of it's competition, the GS hybrid's refinement is at a point where often you can't tell what speed the car is travelling at without looking at the meter.

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti M45S and M45X