Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Hyundai Veracruz Limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is actually same category vehicle as Highlander, it has similar engine, and less luxury options. So what if it is flagship, what does that mean...is it compared to Land Cruiser then? It got navigation only in 2008 model (2007 model doesnt have it) and its bluetooth is not integrated with radio at all.

You can not get all the options you can get in Highlander either.

Problem with Veracruz and every other new Hyundai model is that now they are nice AND expensive, and Veracruz can be more expensive than Highlander, while having less equipment.

End result is Veracruz sales some 6x less than Highlander, and Hyundai sales in general down in 2007 in the USA, and 17% down in Europe.
Yes and no. I looked at all three Veracruz versions.....but drove the Limited. The base versions are more or less Highlander competitors....not so with the Limited. While it is true that the Veracruz does not come in a Hybrid model like the Highlander does, the Veracruz Limited has just about everything most people could want on a vehicle. And the interior, IMO, beats even some Audis, which is one of the industry benchmarks for interior quality.

Expensive? Yes....for a Korean vehicle, but the Limited I drove, at 36K list, had features and fit/finish equivalent to some SUV's running 40-50K.

But...as I said in the review, IMO, it still is not that much nicer than the Santa Fe to justify the extra moolah. I actually enjoyed driving the Santa Fe more than the Veracruz. Neither had very crisp steering, but the Santa Fe had the softer ride I prefer, less of a school-bus feel, and a plenty nice enough interior of its own.
Old 08-25-07, 05:29 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but the Highlander, for the most part, competes against the new Santa Fe
mmarshall

I'm not sure what you are thinking to say the Veracruz is not going to compete against the Highlander. They are in the same class, the NEW highlander 08 is not in the SantaFe class no way you can say that.

The Highlander is 7-passanger, the SantaFe is a 5-passanger. It'd be the same as if you said the Highlander will compete with the CR-V (SantaFe size) instead of the Pilot (Highlander size).

Flagship (?) or not has nothing to do with it. We are talking about the same size cars (ie. Highlander/Pilot/Verracruz) Price max on a Santa Fe is $31K a Verracruz is around $40K and non-hybrid Highlander is $42K. Tell me how you believe the $42K Highlander should be compared to the $31K SantaFe?

The NEW highlander has every feature and more than the Veracruz Limited has (and more) it's more powerful and being a Toyota (IMO) will be better than Hyaundai (at the verry least better in resale)
Old 08-25-07, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
mmarshall

I'm not sure what you are thinking to say the Veracruz is not going to compete against the Highlander. They are in the same class, the NEW highlander 08 is not in the SantaFe class no way you can say that.

The Highlander is 7-passanger, the SantaFe is a 5-passanger. It'd be the same as if you said the Highlander will compete with the CR-V (SantaFe size) instead of the Pilot (Highlander size).

Flagship (?) or not has nothing to do with it. We are talking about the same size cars (ie. Highlander/Pilot/Verracruz) Price max on a Santa Fe is $31K a Verracruz is around $40K and non-hybrid Highlander is $42K. Tell me how you believe the $42K Highlander should be compared to the $31K SantaFe?

The NEW highlander has every feature and more than the Veracruz Limited has (and more) it's more powerful and being a Toyota (IMO) will be better than Hyaundai (at the verry least better in resale)
You raise some good questions about the new Highlander, but I wasn't talking about the new Highlander ( I haven't seen or reviewed it yet....just the existing one. And there is some overlap among the various Santa Fe and Veracruz models, especially with the Veracruz Limited. True, it is the same body and platform as the base model, but inside, the Limited is a different puppy.

I'll commment on the new Highlander more when I see it and drive it. In the meantime, if YOU have seen and driven it, by all means, give us a review on it (or a mini-review). I appreciate all the comments you would post.
Old 08-25-07, 06:21 AM
LexFather

Wow, good review. I had no idea it cost 36k with options. I can't even consider this based on price alone.