Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 01:03 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Moved to a new house" couldn't of said it better myself. I had a blast minus some techincal difficulties with the digi cam, which I later found out that it was 'User Error' . Anyway, I had a great time meeting some new faces and seeing some familiar faces from previous Tail of the Dragons. The cars as usual were awesome. Everyone got home safely and from my understanding, no one got harrassed by the local fuzz or received an invitation to meet his/her 'your honor'.

I finally got a 'REAL' camera and I'm so glad because I totally goofed on the video. Here are some pics that I took. I think going forward we should go the route we took to the dam and the skyway-belt whatever it's called.
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0001-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexizm; 08-21-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 01:04 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...some more pics
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0002-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:05 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

sorry, the gallery is not working with me today.
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0003-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexizm; 08-21-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 01:10 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...some more pics
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0005-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:11 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...and another one
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0007-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:12 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...some more.
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0008-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:12 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...a few more
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0009-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:13 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...some more
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0010-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:14 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...just a few more
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0012-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:15 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...a couple.
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0014-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:16 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...last one.
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0015-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 01:17 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

...I lied. I'll post the rest when I figure out how to link it to the photo gallery.
Attached Thumbnails If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.-img_0057-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-24-07, 09:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

For those who were wondering about all of the police there...

Tennessee cracking down on Tail of the Dragon

Some needs to write that cop a ticket. He crossed the line.

For those who don't know, the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap in Tennessee is one of, if not the greatest, driving roads in the world. Containing 318 curves in an 11-mile stretch, the Tail is visited by both car enthusiasts and motor cyclists from all over the globe. While it brings a healthy amount of tourist dollars to the region, the curvy two-lane road that runs on US-129 has effectively been shut down by an overbearing Tennessee Highway Patrol.

Apparently the governor of Tennessee, Phil Bredesen, has instituted a program to reduce traffic deaths and accidents on US 129, and so the 11-mile stretch known as the Tail of the Dragon has been saturated with Tennessee Highway Patrol officers writing tickets at a hand-cramping rate. The situation has gotten so bad, US 129 is now being called Tennessee's newest toll road. The Tail of the Dragon website is keeping a running list of tickets that have been issued and why, and the reasons are rather ridiculous. Cars and motorcycles are being ticketed for literally just touching the double yellow line that indicates no passing allowed. Tickets for going 5 mph above the posted 30 mph limit are also supposedly common. And then there are reports of blatant harrassment, with THP officers caught tailgating drivers for miles and threatening arrest for minor violations.

Enthusiasts and those invested in the health of the region are trying to fight the crackdown, even keeping an ongoing photo archive of THP cruisers breaking the law themselves. Alas, authorities have not relented and will reportedly be watching the Dragon like a hawk for at least the next month.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/24/t...of-the-dragon/
Old 08-24-07, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah i really hate when they write people ticket for crossing the line but they do that all the time (note, lights are not on, they are just like any other drivers)
Old 08-24-07, 10:24 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I bet that Lotus would give that 996 one hell of a run in the dragon. Hard to overcome weight in a road full of twisties and that lotus seems to own the go-kart category. ........Insight?

Quick Reply: If you haven't driven the Tail of the Dragon, you need to.