Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 02:20 PM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Means Their Cars Will Be More And More Expensive For Sure. But To Be At The Same Level To Compete With Bentley; I Guess That Won't Happen Anytime Soon.
Old 08-20-07, 03:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Some words were left in the press release.

They meant " we want to rival Bently's and Maybach's reliability."
Old 08-20-07, 03:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not saying they want to compete with Bentley, but still, I wouldn't really want to rival their design or style since Bentley's IMHO aren't the nicest looking cars on the road anyway.

I do like the SH-AWD TL and especially the Turbocharged TSX. I can't wait to see those cars come out.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-20-07 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 05:01 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Acura RL: The new redesign continues to disappointed Acura and its dealers. Consumers are refusing to pay premium price for a V6-powered vehicle. The RL will get a total redesign for the 2011 model year. There has been no word on whether it will get a V8 but some sources say it may get a V10.

Acura NSX: No date has been given for the next-generation NSX but sources says it could be in the 2010 or 2011 model year. Acura sources say the company hasn’t decided whether the next NSX will be powered by a V10 or if it will be a mid-engine, rwd car or a front-engine awd vehicle.
Let's see, consumers have been saying that the RL needs a V8 and the NSX should remain mid-engined for what, 5 years now? And yet their sources say Honda is still unsure?
Old 08-20-07, 06:07 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
at least hyundai is more realistic..... targeting lexus.

Acura: i have 3 words........ "baby steps, man."
+1

i would love to see lexus be like we want to be the premier in coach building go against bentley, rolls royce, aston martin, bugatti, maybach
Old 08-20-07, 06:09 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

The only thing wrong with the Acura guy saying this is that their corporate moves don't at all back it up. As of now they seem content to play second fiddle to Lexus, offering features and quality only a small tick below but at a significantly lower price point. If they truly want to be in the Bentley/Maybach league, they need a complete revolution of their product lineup. Honda might as well create another new brand, because Acura's image is that of the "value luxury" marque. It would take years and maybe even decades for the typical Bentley buyer to deign to consider an Acura, even if all their cars were changed out tomorrow...
Old 08-20-07, 06:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Several LS 600h L owners, according to Lexus GB, are former Bentley/RR owners who traded in...
Old 08-20-07, 07:00 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing wrong with a V6 Maybach fighter. LOL
Old 08-20-07, 07:40 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RX_330
Nothing wrong with a V6 Maybach fighter. LOL
And it will be FWD. Seriously, they need to be totally mute with these useless, internet baiting remarks every month and just get better.
Here are their concepts. Does this look like a Bentley/Maybach fighter?

While they keep "talking" Lexus now has
V-12 competitor LS 600h L (and we have reports of actual Bentley owners trading in for them)
IS-F is coming
LF-A will be here BEFORE the NSX (where we have seen now 2 concepts the last 7 years).

Here is a BEAUTIFUL 1995 (yes 12 years ago) CL-X concept when Acura had some ***** and some taste.

Sadly, only the distinctive rear end made it to production.

Old 08-20-07, 07:47 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

seriously now...was this press release a joke or something?
Old 08-20-07, 08:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
+1

i would love to see lexus be like we want to be the premier in coach building go against bentley, rolls royce, aston martin, bugatti, maybach
Personally, I wouldn't want to see Lexus compete anywhere near those brands. It is one thing for me to buy a $50-$60K car, but trying to buy a $200K+ car is way out of my range. If Lexus competes in that rage they wont be the #1 consumer car, but just a nitch market car.
Old 08-20-07, 08:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Here is a BEAUTIFUL 1995 (yes 12 years ago) CL-X concept when Acura had some ***** and some taste.

That was near the end of Acura's great days. Today they are hiring collage kids coming out of LA Design Studio's What do you expect? Did you see the interview of the two monkey's who designed the AASCC? Just listen to them and you understand why Acura has a design problem right now.
Old 08-20-07, 09:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
If Acura keeps tip toeing around they'll never get there.. Give me a break.. The new TL gets a redeisgn but not even 300HP.. The current Type S is 286HP.. Why can't they make the HP more attractive like the new G35,IS,GS,.. All these cars have over 300HP.. What wrong with Acura? Are they afraid of going above and beyond? I like there products and we have 2 Acuras in the Family but they really need to get on the ball.. Right..
You gotta admit though, they're way more efficient than the G35s even though they're shy of 14hp. Yeah I know it's FWD... that's why there's the IS250 =P.. efficient AND RWD...
Old 08-20-07, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
seriously now...was this press release a joke or something?
i certainly hope so otherwise those marketing people should be fired

i checked this morning, it's not 4/1
Old 08-20-07, 10:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

God damn it hire those designers. We want the guys who designed the NSX and legend to be running things. Good ol Honda peaked in the late 90s before most things went down hill.

Quick Reply: Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach