Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 08:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach

Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach

Posted on: August 20th, 2007

While Hyundai targets BMW and Mercedes, Acura takes it up a notch with Bentley and Maybach in its sight. This is Honda’s luxury division Acura, who just opened a new design center in California in May, hoping to distance itself from Honda.

“We want to rival Bentley and Maybach in performance and design,” said Dave Marek, chief designer for Honda R&D Americas, in an interview with Automotive News.

But while Acura dreams of playing in the big leauge, the truth is that since there is no V8 or rear-wheel drive car in its lineup, Acura will remain a second-tier luxury brand.

The entire list of Acura’s future lineup :

Acura TSX: The small Acura sedan will get a redesign for the 2009 model year. Acura is also planning the same turbocharged four-cylinder engine that is in the RDX crossover.

Acura TL: A redesign is in the works for the 2009 model year. Finally, Acura will offer all-wheel drive with a new 3.5-liter V6 engine that develops close to 300 horsepower. A V6 diesel may be available for the 2010 model year for Europe.

Acura RL: The new redesign continues to disappointed Acura and its dealers. Consumers are refusing to pay premium price for a V6-powered vehicle. The RL will get a total redesign for the 2011 model year. There has been no word on whether it will get a V8 but some sources say it may get a V10.

Acura NSX: No date has been given for the next-generation NXS but sources says it could be in the 2010 or 2011 model year. Acura sources say the company hasn’t decided whether the next NSX will be powered by a V10 or if it will be a mid-engine, rwd car or a front-engine awd vehicle.

Acura RDX: Acura’s new small SUV went on sale as a 2007 model. No major changes are scheduled.

Acura MDX: The mid-sized crossover was just redesigned for the 2007 model year. No major changes are planned in but a V6 diesel will be available for the 2010 or 2011 model year.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
via egmcartech
Old 08-20-07, 08:34 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They better stop playing it safe or they will wind up with another
complete fiasco like the last 2 generations of RLs. No V8 also
would spell doom for the high end of the line. A V10 is nice and
all, but it is completely overkill for anything but the highest end
car.
Old 08-20-07, 08:36 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put money down that no V10 is going in the next-gen RL.

The company that has had rumors of V8s circling around the 'net for the last decade without actually ever putting one out... and they're going to go straight from an all 4/6 lineup to adding 8s and 10s? I don't think so.

10-cylinder motors are really out of style for the most part these days, other than just pure bragging rights. Forced induction V8 offer much better modularity and return for the dollar to both the manufacturer and consumer.
Old 08-20-07, 08:46 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They really don't know what they want as the next NSX do they? MR? FR? AWD? V8? V10? NSX? no NSX? lol

The RL is a good car... pricing just kills it (it's $65k in Canada.. used to be $70k but they had a massive price drop). Nothing wrong with a V6 especially with today's gas prices. They somehow need to convince people to try their car (and price it properly).
Old 08-20-07, 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

that's a good 3-4 years away from a redesigned RL. In the mean time, they should cut production of the current RL by A LOT
Old 08-20-07, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sure, aim high i guess. but i think right in their immediate front are lexus, bmw, mb, audi
Old 08-20-07, 09:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura wants to compete with Bentley and Maybach on performance and design? Their future products would have to be several levels above that of their current products. Besides, Acura does not have anywhere near the brand prestige or reputation to compete with Bentley or Maybach. Even Lexus can't (yet) compete with Bentley or Maybach. And with the recent concepts we've seen from Acura that have been widely criticized for their design, they certainly won't be competing with Bentley and Maybach if they follow those type of designs for their production vehicles.

I don't buy the next RL getting a V10. Honda seems totally lost and confused regarding the next-gen NSX, not a good sign at all . Other than that, the future lineup seems pretty empty. I expected more future products than this.
Old 08-20-07, 09:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sure, aim high i guess. but i think right in their immediate front are lexus, bmw, mb, audi
Screw the little guys: ^^^^

We're going for the big one...and while we're at it, can we throw in ferrari and lamborhini

Well, chrysler did go after bentley for their design so it might be possible
Old 08-20-07, 10:15 AM
LexFather

I stated months ago, Acura makes the most USELSS press releases. The WORST. I am laughing so hard right now at this, its not even funny. I chuckled at first but then I reviewed the planned product lineup and I am dying over here.

This is too funny. Is this a late April Fools thread? This thread made my day!!

Old 08-20-07, 12:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, crazy...
they ca't even compete with Lexus and alike, and now they are aiming Bentley??? give me a break!
Old 08-20-07, 12:58 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I believe it when I see it.
Old 08-20-07, 01:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

If Acura keeps tip toeing around they'll never get there.. Give me a break.. The new TL gets a redeisgn but not even 300HP.. The current Type S is 286HP.. Why can't they make the HP more attractive like the new G35,IS,GS,.. All these cars have over 300HP.. What wrong with Acura? Are they afraid of going above and beyond? I like there products and we have 2 Acuras in the Family but they really need to get on the ball.. Right..
Old 08-20-07, 01:31 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Performance? Performance isn't that difficult... thats like bragging about beating the fat kid in a relay race. Those things are very quick for their mammoth curb weights (Bentley's and Maybachs), but there's tons of cars that are both faster and handle better.

I like Acuras, but I just can't help but laugh at this one. Their flagship competes in the MID-SIZE luxury sedan class.
Old 08-20-07, 01:37 PM
Stormwind
Racer

What Acuras statement reall mean : "We ran out of styles to copy from BMW and Benz so we are going to find sombody elses style to knock-off for a bit until BMW comes up with new designs."
Old 08-20-07, 02:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at least hyundai is more realistic..... targeting lexus.

Acura: i have 3 words........ "baby steps, man."

Quick Reply: Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach