Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend 2008 Honda Accord vs. 2007 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07 | 03:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by leedogg
hot damn. Put some coilovers on it, drop it, and upgrade the RSB and I bet you've got one hell of an accord sports sedan.

I cant wait to see what they do with the new TL and RL.
I'm looking forward to the redesign of the TL.. Hope they increase the HP for the type S to at least 300HP to keep the IS,GS and infiniti cars inline..LOL
Old 08-23-07 | 04:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
what's up with the Accord having the same specs in terms of horsepower and torque as the Camry???
I think Honda may have intentionally tuned the car that way to match the Camry, or maybe it was coincidental. Maybe tuning the engine for more power would reduce fuel economy. It's hard to say what the truth here is.
Old 08-23-07 | 04:28 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think Honda may have intentionally tuned the car that way to match the Camry, or maybe it was coincidental. Maybe tuning the engine for more power would reduce fuel economy. It's hard to say what the truth here is.

Yeh I think it was smart marketing, they are saying we have the same HP as the Camry, use ONLY a 5 speed auto AND we get better fuel economy.. which in todays automotive climate is much more appealing than being .4 seconds quicker to 60 mph.
Old 08-23-07 | 11:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAC JZS
Yeh I think it was smart marketing, they are saying we have the same HP as the Camry, use ONLY a 5 speed auto AND we get better fuel economy.. which in todays automotive climate is much more appealing than being .4 seconds quicker to 60 mph.
To be fair, the Accord V6 gets better fuel economy than the Camry V6 by a hair. Sure the Accord has *only* a 5 speed auto, but it also has that fancy VCM system (can run on 6, 4, or 3 cylinders) compared with Toyota's V6 that's always running on the full 6 cylinders, and is paired with a 6 speed auto.
Old 08-24-07 | 01:01 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Interior looks damn good for a Honda, but the steering wheel has to go...

and man, I see Chris Bangle in this car too!
Old 08-24-07 | 09:32 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

To be fair, the Accord V6 gets better fuel economy than the Camry V6 by a hair. Sure the Accord has *only* a 5 speed auto, but it also has that fancy VCM system (can run on 6, 4, or 3 cylinders) compared with Toyota's V6 that's always running on the full 6 cylinders, and is paired with a 6 speed auto.
I know the Accord only gets 1mpg better on the hwy but ppl wont see that, most will just say 'the Accord gets better FE than the Camry' lol when we know 1mpg just really mean anything. And thats true about the VCM.. I wonder what the FE would be w/ a 6 speed auto? Maybe an exta 1-3 mpg?!?
Old 08-24-07 | 10:00 AM
LexFather

I tell you what. I still don't know why an Atima/Camry/Accord etc have 270hp. These are family cars. They should stick to around 200hp and focus on the FAMILY part and have some true MPG gains. We should be in the 40 MPG range for these cars.

Instead, they grow bigger, with more tech and more power. I would prefer they stay more simple and truly advance with MPG.
Old 08-24-07 | 10:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I tell you what. I still don't know why an Atima/Camry/Accord etc have 270hp. These are family cars. They should stick to around 200hp and focus on the FAMILY part and have some true MPG gains. We should be in the 40 MPG range for these cars.

Instead, they grow bigger, with more tech and more power. I would prefer they stay more simple and truly advance with MPG.
I agree.

However, all these cars have 4-cylinder standard. Magazines praise the V6 option, consumers buy the 4-bangers.

I think that although the Camry/Altima/Accord 4-cylinder engines are a bit asthmatic at 158/166/175 hp respectively, people that buy the 4-cylinder engines are not too concerned about 0-60 times.

Fortunately for Toyota, they have a hybrid version that is both gas efficient WITH a quite a bit more power a 192 hp, instead of an anemic 158 hp Altima hybrid, or a non-gas-efficient 253 Accord hybrid.

Between the three, the Camry does provide the most options for everyone (rightfully so because they do have the largest sales #s...).
Old 08-24-07 | 10:27 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Fortunately for Toyota, they have a hybrid version that is both gas efficient WITH a quite a bit more power a 192 hp, instead of an anemic 158 hp Altima hybrid
??

The Altima Hybrid has 198 hp, and head to head tests have shown that it is considerably faster than the Camry Hybrid.
Old 08-24-07 | 10:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by carguy101
??

The Altima Hybrid has 198 hp, and head to head tests have shown that it is considerably faster than the Camry Hybrid.
According to Nissan's website, it's 158 hp.

But you're right. It is faster than the Camry.

I was thinking of the Saturn Aura Green Line when I thought of the word "anemic." I was referring to the Edmunds comparo. Sorry...
Old 08-24-07 | 11:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

??

It is a little bit faster, not considerably faster.
Old 08-24-07 | 11:57 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

The Altima Hybrid is faster, sportier and gets better mpg in the city than the Camry:

Nissan Altima Hybrid

35/33 mpg
198hp

Toyota Camry Hybrid

33/34 mpg
187hp
Old 08-24-07 | 11:59 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

"[The Altima Hybrid's] best-in-test 0-60-mph sprint of 7.6 seconds and quarter-mile performance of 15.6 seconds at 91.5 mph were considerably quicker than the 2nd-place Camry."

That was the opinion of a reviewer who tested both vehicles at the same time.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...5/pageNumber=1
Old 08-24-07 | 12:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

"[The Altima Hybrid's] best-in-test 0-60-mph sprint of 7.6 seconds and quarter-mile performance of 15.6 seconds at 91.5 mph were considerably quicker than the 2nd-place Camry."

That was the opinion of a reviewer who tested both vehicles at the same time.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...5/pageNumber=1
The Camry hit a 0-60 in 8.4s, compared to the Altima's 7.6s. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether or not 0.8s gap in 0-60 is "considerably faster". The Camry also got the highest overall fuel economy in the test.
Old 08-24-07 | 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Americans continue to get fatter and fatter, and they carry around more and more stuff. Cell phones, iPods, backpacks, chargers, videogames, DVD players, etc., etc. A 1990 Accord just isn't big enough any longer.

Then of course there's the safety zealots who have almost all cars with a half dozen or more airbags, extra beams, etc. That all adds weight too.

You can get the 4 banger with decent mpg but merging on the 'rat race' highway can be 'challenging' hauling all that weight. A V6 generally just feels to be working so much less to accomplish the same thing, and of course usually runs quieter and smoother.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 2008 Honda Accord vs. 2007 Toyota Camry