Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend 2008 Honda Accord vs. 2007 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07 | 04:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Americans continue to get fatter and fatter, and they carry around more and more stuff. Cell phones, iPods, backpacks, chargers, videogames, DVD players, etc., etc. A 1990 Accord just isn't big enough any longer.

Then of course there's the safety zealots who have almost all cars with a half dozen or more airbags, extra beams, etc. That all adds weight too.

You can get the 4 banger with decent mpg but merging on the 'rat race' highway can be 'challenging' hauling all that weight. A V6 generally just feels to be working so much less to accomplish the same thing, and of course usually runs quieter and smoother.
I agree with you bit, but again, did we HAVE to go this route? For the most part, we haven't much much improvement in MPG over the past 20 years. Of course, you can look at a 1978 Accord and a 2008 model and say "wow, look how far it has come" but in essence, its still an Accord (Camry, etc).

The new Accord is LARGER than Acura's flagship, the RL. If that is not a slap in the RLs face, I don't know what is.
Old 08-24-07 | 04:45 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JAC JZS
Yeh I think it was smart marketing, they are saying we have the same HP as the Camry, use ONLY a 5 speed auto AND we get better fuel economy.. which in todays automotive climate is much more appealing than being .4 seconds quicker to 60 mph.
the Accord V6's are not identical
one variation for the 6MT coupe
and another variation for the others
while the peak hp and tq ratings are identical, the 6MT coupe has a wider power curve thanks to a variable intake manifold, oddly its missing i-vtec

all V6 Camry's use a variable intake manifold.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 08-24-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-24-07 | 05:28 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
the Accord V6's are not identical
one variation for the 6MT coupe
and another variation for the others
while the peak hp and tq ratings are identical, the 6MT coupe has a wider power curve thanks to a variable intake manifold, oddly its missing i-vtec

all V6 Camry's use a variable intake manifold.
Interesting
Old 08-24-07 | 06:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

We'll probably be seeing the i-vtec on the next gen V6. This current gen V6 has the good ol vtec. Being that the engine platform is about 12 years old, it's not an easy task to revise the whole top end, especially since it's not economical to rebuild the top end for a dated engine.
Old 08-24-07 | 07:27 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JAC JZS
Interesting
i'm not 100% sure the Camry's V6 has a variable intake

Originally Posted by GSteg
We'll probably be seeing the i-vtec on the next gen V6. This current gen V6 has the good ol vtec. Being that the engine platform is about 12 years old, it's not an easy task to revise the whole top end, especially since it's not economical to rebuild the top end for a dated engine.
i-vtec is on the new Accord V6 5A
either way Honda has a superior 4cyl but it won't be long before Toyota offers a new 4 banger.
Old 08-24-07 | 08:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

interesting. Didn't know the current J-series could adapt to ivtec.
Old 08-25-07 | 03:06 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This comparison would be more complete if Nissan Altima was also brought in.
Old 08-25-07 | 10:17 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

wow camry totally lose out to the accord's interior
i knew it when toyota stuck in that baby blue plastic crap into the camries, it would come back to bite them in the ****
Old 08-25-07 | 04:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota is completely overhauling their engine and transmission lineups, so by 2010 there should a new Toyota engine replacing the 2.4L 4 cyl AZ used in the Camry and so many other Toyota models. The 2.4L looks dated especially compared to Toyota's new 3ZR 2.0L 4 cyl Valvematic engine, which makes about the same HP as the 2.4L AZ yet is quite a bit more fuel efficient not to mention a smaller and lighter engine.

And to clarify, the 08 Accord sedan has an i-VTEC 3.5L V6 with VCM2 while the Accord Coupe has a regular 3.5L VTEC engine.
Old 08-25-07 | 05:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I know i-VTEC = VVTi and VTEC = VVTi-L, loosely speaking but can someone clarify the differences for me? Thanks!
Old 08-25-07 | 05:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree with you bit, but again, did we HAVE to go this route? For the most part, we haven't much much improvement in MPG over the past 20 years. Of course, you can look at a 1978 Accord and a 2008 model and say "wow, look how far it has come" but in essence, its still an Accord (Camry, etc).
Well maybe a Civic/Corolla is about the same size as a 20 yr old Accord/Camry so the option is still there.

But to answer your question - the nation didn't HAVE to get so obese and cart around so much crap, but it did and does.
Old 08-26-07 | 07:39 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I checked and Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) is featured on all V6Camries, Honda needs to step it up.
Old 08-26-07 | 08:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

The Accord's interior looks very impressive, I'd say class-leading. Reminds me of the 3-Series interior (the epitome of clean and functional), which I love.

A diesel Accord LX with grey interior and autobox would be one helluva commuter car.

As for it being bigger than the RL, so what? I've grown to love the RL, from it's size to its style. Quite frankly, I wish there would more cars that offered it's combination of size, features, performance, and price. Wouldn't think twice about buying one instead of a 5-Series, GS, or E-Class.
Old 08-26-07 | 09:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I know i-VTEC = VVTi and VTEC = VVTi-L, loosely speaking but can someone clarify the differences for me? Thanks!
Others more knowledgeble can chime in and correct me if I'm wong.

I believe i-VTEC is closer to VVTi-L. The reason being is VTEC has variable valve timing and valve lift control. VVTi doesn't vary valve lift, but the added "L" in VVTi-L varies valve lift. The "i" for both of manufacturers generally means variable cam phase or timing. I believe Toyota can vary up to 30 degress while Honda varies it up to 20 degrees.

Between regular VTEC and VVTi is not entirely equal, because as mentioned above VTEC varies vavle lift but doesn't vary cam phase/timing, but VVTi varies cam phase/timing, but doesn't vary valve lift.

Again, if I'm mistaken others more knowledgeable feel free to correct my mistake.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-26-07 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-26-07 | 09:09 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Others more knowledgeble can chime in and correct me if I'm wong.

I believe i-VTEC is closer to VVTi-L. The reason being is VTEC has variable valve timing and valve lift control. VVTi doesn't vary valve lift, but the addee "L" in VVTi-L varies valve lift. The "i" for both of manufacturers generally means variable cam phase or timing. I believe Toyota can vary up to30 degress while Honda varies it up to 20 degrees.

Between regular VTEC and VVTi is not entirely equal, because as mentioned above VTEC varies vavle lift but doesn't vary cam phase/timing, but VVTi varies cam phase/timing, but doesn't vary valve lift.

Again, if I'm mistaken others more knowledgeable feel free to correct my mistake.
so they're different combinations so that the two companies can offer two solutions to the same problem (sorta how Toyota's going full hybrid and Honda's going mild hybrid?)

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 2008 Honda Accord vs. 2007 Toyota Camry