Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota’s new 2010 IQ minicar (May be sold in the U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 03:41 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO it is clearly too small for most American roads.
IMO it is clearly too small for most Americans.
Old 08-22-07, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I absolutely adore this concept. Unlike the Smart, it's actually stylish in a cute and pretty way.

And for a price below $5,000? Hell yeah! That definitely makes the $12k Smart sound like a major rip-off!

Bring it over Toyota.
here is the problem with the article - Endo will not be that $5k car... Endo will be Euro hatch smaller than Aygo, but will cost a lot more than $5k.

$5k is car for developing countries which will be size of Yaris sedan (so it can be family vehicle).
Old 08-23-07, 04:43 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For under $5k, that's pretty good, but I sure hate to be hit by a car in one of those.

~Josh
Old 08-23-07, 05:38 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how many airbags one puts in these small cars I would never drive one. Too small. I've seen good cars like the Lexus GS rear ended with substantial interior cabin damage. No way an airbag will protect you from a major collisions from the rear and I doubt even from the front much. IMHO cars like this shouldn't be on the road. But I guess it is your life.

If we are all so worried about gas prices we shouldn't be looking at alternative fuels. Not just smaller cars that get better mileage.
Old 08-23-07, 06:10 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached Thumbnails -toyotaaygo-1-.micromini.430.jpg  
Old 08-23-07, 06:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what these cars remind me of? Those little penny racers. You know the one you pull back and the spring loaded wheels would propel the car forward. The penny racers had a slot on the back of them to put a penny so you could do wheelies
Old 08-23-07, 06:31 AM
duncan73
Driver

It should be called the Minicombo. No need to remove your dead carcass from the wreck. Simply transport it (and you) to the cemetery of your choice for internment.
Old 08-23-07, 07:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
No matter how many airbags one puts in these small cars I would never drive one. Too small. I've seen good cars like the Lexus GS rear ended with substantial interior cabin damage. No way an airbag will protect you from a major collisions from the rear and I doubt even from the front much. IMHO cars like this shouldn't be on the road. But I guess it is your life.

If we are all so worried about gas prices we shouldn't be looking at alternative fuels. Not just smaller cars that get better mileage.
thats why there are crash tests... And in fact, because of superior seating positions, small vehicles often have better scores than sedans.
Old 08-23-07, 08:13 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Robarapta

via motorauthority

Yeah and the production model will end up looking like this...

Old 10-25-07, 04:10 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Production-ready Toyota iQ minicar

Record oil prices and an overall decline in sales of large vehicles have led to a paradigm shift by carmakers towards development of new entry-level minicars. So far most of the action has been in Europe and Japan where fuel prices are among the highest in the world but now officials at industry giant Toyota are considering whether the U.S. is ready for the fuel-efficient, pint-sized minicars.

According to new reports, Toyota is evaluating whether it should develop smaller models for the U.S. market as it has done for Europe with its recent iQ minicar concept. Toyota’s executive VP of its U.S. sales unit, Jim Lentz, told reporters from Bloomberg that Toyota has “been studying for about a year and a half whether some of these vehicles could work in the U.S.” and that developers may have to “accelerate” the introduction of the smaller vehicles.

America’s smallest mainstream vehicle class, which includes subcompacts like the Toyota Yaris, has seen sales grow 20% this year alone and the trend is expected to continue.

Rivals GM, Chrysler and Volkswagen are all working on new minicar concepts for Europe and emerging markets like India and China but it seems many have neglected the world’s biggest car market.
(Courtesy of Motor Authority)

Just hope it can match or surpass Smart Fortwo safety for the car and the passengers on the outside.
Old 10-25-07, 07:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be interesting to see something funky like that make it to production.

But in all honesty, car costs are controlled not just by cheaper materials alone. A huge chunk of costs come from labor, advertising, and engineering. It will still be expensive for its size, and I don't think it'll be profitable in the long run.

Some people may just want to pay $2-3k extra for a Yaris and still have enough room for 5 passengers AND luggage...
Old 10-25-07, 07:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

South of the border, such a vehicle would be quite welcome given the economics down here. This is one area that could really give a boost to Toyota Mexico since the Yaris is still above the 10K USD mark and a lot of lower income families could have something other than a Nissan, VW or Chevrolet, which aren't very good in quality, but do have at least one base model under 10K.
Old 10-25-07, 12:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

iQ is premium small car, that is more expensive than Yaris :-).

Aygo and Yaris are top class in EuroNCAP.
Old 10-25-07, 01:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

What they'll probably have to do, at least in my market, is get something out there like the Hyundai Atos (badged as a Dodge here), which runs about 8000 USD or so in the base model, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Atos

or perhaps the Pontiac Matiz (often branded as a Daewoo elsewhere), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matiz which runs about 7800 USD on the base model.

In my market, people tend to keep their vehicles a lot longer than in the U.S., which is one reason as people are looking at Japanese models more and more as a sense of better quality is gradually eeking into the market. However, even something like the Nissan Tsuru (a boxy old Sentra) is not perfect in quality and Nissan attempted to improve on this by introducing the Platina.
Old 10-25-07, 01:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thing is would most americans fit in this thing

Quick Reply: Toyota’s new 2010 IQ minicar (May be sold in the U.S.)