Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I hate the chrysler 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 02:30 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drove a 300, the base model, for about 280 miles as a rental.

I honestly did not like the car at all. The interior is cheap, thats one thing, but the A/C barely did anything. It also felt like I really had to slam the pedal to make some passing maneuvers. I'm sure the HEMI versions are much more powerful.
Old 08-22-07, 02:37 PM
LexFather

The thread title made me spit my drink out.....
I had a thread I think 2 years ago saying the 300C is IMO, my fav American sedan out.
STOCK. Or in SRT-8 form. Decent ride, good size, styling (clearly a Bentley knock-off) that is attractive, good power and they offer AWD and even a "L" long wheelbase. I like the fact its an American car that is American, brash and big.

On the other hand I live in Atanta and well 8 out of 10 have a fake Bentley Mesh grill, even with stock wheels. Which leaves me puzzled, it is not a Bentley. I've seen every chrome wheel possible on a 300/Magnum/Charger. Doesn't bug me, if they like it cool. I think those with tasteful big wheels and a drop look very attractive. Its not for me though.

Katt Williams said it best in his stand up:
"It don't look like a Bentley, it looks like a Chysler 300C" he goes in a skit where 2 guys are in their 300C pulling up to a club and a guy in a REAL Bentley is parked oustside and the guys start ducking low saying "awww mahn, that is some bullshnap" and turn around, lol

The video with Mannie Fresh in "BIG" was hilarious too, when he trades in one Maybach for like 30 300Cs at the dealership. That was funny.

Overall, it doesn't bug me. It appeals to those people and I am happy an American sedan is doing well for a change (even though its built in Canada).

Its so popular, the GA police and state patrol use the Charger now.

Old 08-22-07, 02:56 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the Hemi when it first came out but something told me if the 300 started in the 20-somethings then it was bound to be EVERYWHERE. My buddy would say "who cares, put some 22's on that thing and stunt". Not my cup of tee and am very glad because I see them all over. If I were to drive one it would have to be the SRT or something. But even after that you look just like any other 300C on the road.

Its just like anything else, a great song gets too many spins and it looses its luster.
Old 08-22-07, 03:35 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Everyone around here has one. They all throw on big a$$ chrome wheels and think they're ballin now and is the **it. It's a damn chrysler for crying out loud.
what sup with the hating? A Bentley guy may say the same thing to your lex as you do to the 300.
Old 08-22-07, 04:06 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 300C is not for me but so what, not everyone has Lexus money or cares to drive upscale cars, when you produce a full size rear wheel drive V8 powered sedan for under 40 grand there are bound to be shortcomings, with this car it's the interior, I assume most of you live in the US so be happy that an American car co. can produce such a vehicle thats affordable, the mere fact that you see so many of them says this car is a hit and the negative opinions expressed here are in the minority, drive what you wish but don't knock others.
Old 08-22-07, 04:34 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the price, it's hard to beat that much power and room. Sure the interior isn't up to Lexus, but you get a 425hp V8 that does mid 13s stock. Most modded 300Cs seem to be DUB but I've seen a few nicely done 300Cs at the track and they do look nice.

I would LOVE to own a used (depreciation...) 300C SRT8 as a daily driver...but I'm Japanese...that'll be a little weird.
Old 08-22-07, 04:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
I wonder what 300c owners would say about lexus.
they saw a lot of stuff. from what ive seen, a lot of people hate lexus. specialy bmw and audi drivers. hell my dads patient who drove a 20 year old caddilac asked my dad, " why do u drive that jap piece of crap" most people say its over priced, over rated, to bland, and just an expensive toyota. but i and others learn to live with it. and the 300 does look pretty cool, but for that money, id buy a used e class 5 series or gs
Old 08-22-07, 05:06 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I would LOVE to own a used (depreciation...) 300C SRT8 as a daily driver...but I'm Japanese...that'll be a little weird.
My wife is thai and you should have seen her drive my old suburban with a 6" lift (it was used for WORK!!! I am NOT a redneck) and 35's. She got pulled over(she was wearing her hair in pig-tails) because the cop thought that she was 14.

As for the 300C. I would not buy one myself. I think that it’s a good thing that Chrysler made the 300C Rear wheel drive with a V8 (option) like the original car that made the name famous. Unlike the first try at the 300C (front wheel drive V6) and Chevys Impala and Malibu.
Old 08-22-07, 05:43 PM
NO1ZX6R
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
For the price, it's hard to beat that much power and room. Sure the interior isn't up to Lexus, but you get a 425hp V8 that does mid 13s stock. I would LOVE to own a used (depreciation...) 300C SRT8 as a daily driver...but I'm Japanese...that'll be a little weird.
totally agree - SRT8 version is nasty, and stealth. they had one in Car and Driver a few months ago that was modded and even more nasty.
Old 08-22-07, 05:50 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Old 08-22-07, 05:55 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

brother has a one, its not bad i like it, pretty quick too,
Old 08-22-07, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
That car doesn't bother me at all. I'm surprised at the wide age range of drivers I see driving them from young to old somebody did a good job with marketing the car. .
Absolutely. You won't get any arguements from us on that one. The 300, without question, has been a huge marketing success. But that doesn't change the fact that its beauty and flashiness is all on the surface, and underneath is the same old Chrysler thin plastic and flimsiness, although, like I said in an earlier post, the chassis and transmissions are pretty solid, being partly Mercedes-derived.
Old 08-22-07, 07:05 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

I dont hate the Chrysler 300 but when it comes to Full-size cars I would prefer the Avalon. BUT if i were to go with a Large domestic it would be the '08 Sable. Its more reliable, safer(rated Top level by both IIHS AND NHSTA) and better looking imo...
Attached Thumbnails I hate the chrysler 300-gerard1.jpg  
Old 08-22-07, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JAC JZS
I dont hate the Chrysler 300 but when it comes to Full-size cars I would prefer the Avalon. BUT if i were to go with a Large domestic it would be the '08 Sable. Its more reliable, safer(rated Top level by both IIHS AND NHSTA) and better looking imo...
I agree with you on the Taurus/Sable (formerly the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego), especially now that they have dumped the questionable-durability CVT transmission on the AWD models and the underpowered 203 HP V6 on all models. They are roomy, well-built, well-finished, and pleasant to drive. And unlike the strictly FWD Toyota Avalon, Hyundai Azera, and Buick Lucerne that they compete against, they still offer AWD models.....and the wagon/liftback Ford Freestyle version.
Old 08-22-07, 07:15 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Funny enough I like the '05-'07 Ford Five-Hundred MUCH better than the '05-'07 Montego(looks-wise) BUT it has now reversed as I think the '08 Taurus looks like an oversized Fusion which is NOT good lol. Many reviewers have said(and I agree with them) that the Five-Hundred looks a little like an oversized Audi A6...
Attached Thumbnails I hate the chrysler 300-gerard2.jpg  

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-22-07 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate the chrysler 300