Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I hate the chrysler 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 07:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it or hate it, the 300C (I believe) is a modern classic of American auto design. Many want to call it retro but I think it is simply timeless and still looks great years after its debut. I think some of the negative backlash also has to do with the "pimp-factor" which some put on the car but that's not the car's fault.

It's an unabashedly American design at a time where everyone is trying to look like Europe or Asia. And while it may at first seem to borrow heavily from Bentley it really draws more from its on historic lineage of Chrysler 300 series cars. http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml

Many also seem to dislike it because it is a pretender car in the sense that it's all style and little substance. As if those who buy it are somehow trying to say "Look at me, I have an expensive looking car". But that is also part of its allure and a very American component at that. It's glamorous (and not simply an appliance) in the way American cars were once upon a time.

If someone wants to drive something stylish and simply doesn't have the bucks for an expensive luxury import and the 300 floats their boat, I say more power to em.
Old 08-23-07, 08:27 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually like the style of the 300C. I wanted to buy one when it first came out, but then I sat in it at the autoshow and was immediately turned off by it. Sort of reminded me of the Volvo 850 TR when it first came out. I was very interested in the car until I sat in it and was disgusted by the interior. Kinda what happens when you have Lexus! Had the SC for a year or two around then. Been spoiled ever since.
Old 08-23-07, 09:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

I have to give credit that it's been one of the best looking domestic sedans for the longest time. Now who here thinks the impala, malibu, or other rental cars look better than the 300?

If anyone hates the 300, wait until the
Imperial (RR wannabe) come outs
Old 08-23-07, 09:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
If anyone hates the 300, wait until the
Imperial (RR wannabe) come outs
According to the latest report, there will be no Chrysler Imperial : CLICK HERE
Old 08-23-07, 09:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
According to the latest report, there will be no Chrysler Imperial : CLICK HERE
Thanks Andrew.
OK, back to the 300 then
Old 08-23-07, 09:40 AM
Milla...

Everyone has likes and dislikes.

There are three things that bugs the crap out of me about the 300.

1. They are everywhere
2. The cheezy jc whitney grills and stick on seals
3. The interior

This is not to say Lexus is perfect either after all I did get rid of two of them.

For the record though I don't hate the car itself at all.

I think you hate the image that the car tends to fall into in your city more so than the car itself. In reality you may just dislike certain features of the car i.e. interior, windows, Bently cues etc.

Last edited by Milla...; 08-23-07 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 02:37 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Me too, I don't like the Chrysler 300 either. The funny thing is most people buy it for it's looks. Pretty shallow huh? I do admit it does look cool but I'd never buy one...
HUH? Why would anyone buy an ugly car? Oh course I buy my cars based on looks (one of many factors).
Old 08-23-07, 04:59 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texan629
I wonder what 300c owners would say about lexus.
perhaps that they wish they had one

how ever i think the issue is actually the type of person who usually buys the car and their attitudes
Old 08-23-07, 05:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

it looks like a bentley for 30 grand and has all that horse power? and thats a bad thing?
Old 08-23-07, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I have to admit though. The 300 and Magnum look perfect with 22" rims. Kind of like how a body kitted GS looks perfect with 20" rims. The body style of those cars lend itself well to 22" rims. Now, I wont coment on the style of rims some of these guys put on though
Well...you just hit the nail on the head. People put these things on their cars based on LOOKS (or what they call looks) without thinking about what they are actually doing to their cars.....how they alter ride, handling, speedometer and odometer, and can lead to tickets.
Old 08-23-07, 06:02 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well...you just hit the nail on the head. People put these things on their cars based on LOOKS (or what they call looks) without thinking about what they are actually doing to their cars.....how they alter ride, handling, speedometer and odometer, and can lead to tickets.
and accidents

i doubt these 300C can stop in an emergency properly with stock brakes and 22 heavy rims
Old 08-23-07, 07:30 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen the 300 every possible way you can hook up a car from Candy painted to Dallas Cowboy painted.
Old 08-23-07, 08:01 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

You could say the same about plenty of Lexus owners as well.
Old 08-23-07, 09:57 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to like this car, along with many other amk cars. The interior is not as "comfortable" as Jpn cars, but they do have their own exterior styles that I like a lot.
Old 08-24-07, 02:13 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
A domestic car fan wishing to buy japanese? When the 300 first came out, research showed that the majority people were trading in thier imports to purchase the 300c. Im sure 300c/SRT8 owners can afford to shop at lexus so why would they wish of owning one?
I know a few of my GS400 friends were seriously considering selling their cars for the 300C to fix up as show cars. It didn't happen, but those cars do have a lot of appeal in certain ways.

Quick Reply: I hate the chrysler 300