Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I hate the chrysler 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 02:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well...you just hit the nail on the head. People put these things on their cars based on LOOKS (or what they call looks) without thinking about what they are actually doing to their cars.....how they alter ride, handling, speedometer and odometer, and can lead to tickets.
As well as we should You have to remember, unless you are building a track car, most of the modifications on street cars are all for looks. I personally wouldn't do it if I didn't think it looked good. Putting larger diameter wheels with larger over all wheel diamters is not all bad. Yes, there is a point where too large is just too large, but in our state law we can have up to a + or - 7% difference in over all wheel diameter. Police here generally don't give you a ticket if you are within 9 MPH of the speed limit. The reason being is in our traffic system, if you get a ticket for 9MPH or less of the posted speed limit you pay the fine but get no points on your driving record.

Wear and tear? I think we alll realize that many after market modifications can lead to increased or accelerated wear and tear. Problem is most of these cars last well past 100K miles already, so a little added wear and tear means nothing since a lot of people don't keep their cars that long. Especially those people that like to modify their cars. Guys like that generally finish their project cars, enjoy or for a year or two, sell it and start another project car. That is the way I am. 4 and half years was the longest I've ever keept any car I've owned. It just happened to work out that way. After a while I want to start building another project car.
Old 08-24-07, 01:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
I wonder what 300c owners would say about lexus.
Most of them couldnt afford a new one anyways (most 300s go for sub $25k these days with that great guzzling V6!). Not to mention the $1000 total they spend on rims and tires *shakes head*
Old 08-24-07, 04:07 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

yep, there are tons tons of 300 here, and most of them are V6...
My neighbor just traded in his 300 V6 for a 300 V8, all he can say is after driving it for the first time, he got tears in his eyes...
Old 08-24-07, 07:40 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

What? From it being so slow? yuck yuck I've hurt a few feelings with my cheap Nissan hehe
Old 08-24-07, 07:55 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give mad props to Chrysler for daring to be different in the styling department and the SRT model is definitely a great bang for the buck. I'd like to see what happens to the car when a re-design comes around.
Old 08-24-07, 10:19 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

I actually feel sorry for all of those who bought traded in their imports (E-Class, GS, 5 Series, etc) for the 300c when they first came out. Not only is the quality not up to par but these cars are EVERYWHERE, like a Camry, Accord, Malibu or Cavalier. Especially in California, they are literally everywhere.

Never mind a luxury import, I don't even know if I'd trade a Camry V6 or new Accord V6 for 5.7HEMI version. Although FWD, they are more fuel efficient and just as quick at any speed.

But I don't dislike it or anything. Everyone has a different taste and if someone loves the design of the 300, more power to them! It's just that it isn't for me.
Old 08-24-07, 10:47 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Most of them couldnt afford a new one anyways (most 300s go for sub $25k these days with that great guzzling V6!). Not to mention the $1000 total they spend on rims and tires *shakes head*
new 300c's are 35k fully loaded, what my brother got, srt's start at i think 44k so i dont understand how they cant afford a new lexus? people hate on everything, theres nothing in this world that people dont hate on, just people have different tastes
Old 08-25-07, 02:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calichris
new 300c's are 35k fully loaded, what my brother got, srt's start at i think 44k so i dont understand how they cant afford a new lexus? people hate on everything, theres nothing in this world that people dont hate on, just people have different tastes
Ive seen plenty of SRT8s quoted at mid 30s over on the SRTforums I think you've got your pricing wrong.

New V6 300s almost never come fully loaded and are commonly available for $25k. And 90% or more of those on the road are the V6 model. So I was correct.

I wasnt "hating" on the car. Let's chill out with the neo-ebonics stuff there ok? Or I WILL most definitely begin to "hate"
Old 08-25-07, 06:58 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

i got my prices wrong right? go build a fully loaded 300c on there website see if it comes out to 25k, if so let me know
Old 08-25-07, 07:20 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in Canada right now and am renting a 300. It's a pretty good highway car, but it feels like an American car always does; cheap. The inside is full of nasty hard plastics, and fit/finish is typical Detroit. I never would buy one, I don't care how it would be optioned it would always be cheap underneath. I don't even particularly like the styling, it is just too cartoonish, like the Dodge Ram pickup truck was when it first came out. But people loved it and bought lots of them. So much for good taste.

One odd thing I noticed. The car has DRL's (Canadian requirement) but when you put your turn signal on that side DRL turns off and only the blinker operates. Don't know if this is by design or a goof up in execution. Seems weird.
Old 08-25-07, 07:42 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

the srt8 is the only one i would go for... if i could afford the gas. there are so many new/used ones on the local market not selling because of that.

when i asked about it, i found out that chrysler cut the warranty coverage period almost in half in comparison to the non srt models... am i missing something? are they prone to blowing up?

what i hate the most is seeing base model v6 300's being driven by gangsta wannabes with the seatbacks all the way down, some nasty chrome plated chicken mesh grille, riding on chrome 22's with stock ride height and blacked out glass... why dammit why
Old 08-25-07, 08:09 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Theres a LWB 300?
Old 08-25-07, 08:12 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

I live near Detroit... and just yesterday, I had to drive to the "hood" to pick up some stuff. Needless to say, it's just like any other ghetto where there's tons of 300's/Magnums/Chargers running around on DUBS. Some look classy, most look like garbage. And I've noticed that most are V6 cars too. Way to make a statement... "I can't afford the V8, but yo dawg, I gots dem 24" inch rimz that cost like $4000"...

The SRT8 is still gorgeous though... and I would rock it in a heartbeat. Pure Detroit muscle... who cares about the interior when you have a car that looks THAT good and is THAT fast.. yet is THAT cheap... only around $40k for the SRT8 Chargers and Magnums... a little more for the 300.

I'm all about brute power in the end, and I'm all about performance. Nothing in the Lexus or Toyota lineup offers that kind of power and fun for the price, and that's why if I were able to afford a new car, I'd take a SRT8 Charger without considering anything else.
Old 08-26-07, 10:39 AM
LexFather

The only one I would consider if I was drunk and the sales lady had tig ole bitties I think this is a fine car in SRT8 form.

Sigh, Bentley grill...put the stock one back in, this looks great!

They sell this in Europe

The LWB

Old 08-26-07, 10:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of you might be old enough to remember the 70's movie "The Car". The 300c reminds me of the vehicle in that movie.. SRT 8 is bananas by the way.

Quick Reply: I hate the chrysler 300