Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, Isuzu agree to develop diesel engines & truck technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 10:36 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Right, but my point is, the top selling automaker in the world (Toyota) shouldn’t have to rely on a company like Isuzu to help further develop their diesel technology. But hey, I guess whatever saves them a buck or two is good. Unfortunately though, that seems to be too much of their focus lately and their products seem to have suffered as a result.

ANd why not? That is their area of expertise, EVERY other automaker does these kinds of things.
Old 08-26-07, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Toyota owns a 5.9 percent stake in Isuzu. Isuzu formed a capital alliance with Toyota in November after dissolving its tie-up with General Motors Corp. in April 2006.
Slightly off-topic, maybe, but it will be interesting to see what the next American-market Isuzu vehicles look like....or where they come from. Me and 1SICKLEX have both speculated several times on how long Isuzu will stay here or if they will pack up and leave.

The current U.S.-market Isuzu I-model pickups and Ascender SUV are both re-badged versions of existing GM products.
Old 08-26-07, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Right, but my point is, the top selling automaker in the world (Toyota) shouldn’t have to rely on a company like Isuzu to help further develop their diesel technology. But hey, I guess whatever saves them a buck or two is good. Unfortunately though, that seems to be too much of their focus lately and their products seem to have suffered as a result.
Huh? BMW has used GM trannies for years. The 3 coupe uses Mitsubishi turbos. That is just on example of sharing.
They are not DEPENDING, they are partnering. Again, Nissan outright BUYING old tech is depending.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Slightly off-topic, maybe, but it will be interesting to see what the next American-market Isuzu vehicles look like....or where they come from. Me and 1SICKLEX have both speculated several times on how long Isuzu will stay here or if they will pack up and leave.

The current U.S.-market Isuzu I-model pickups and Ascender SUV are both re-badged versions of existing GM products.
I agree, I have a feeling Toyota may buy some more stock in the company.

Old 08-26-07, 06:43 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Since we still have very fiew diesels here in US, I am curious as to what criteria you use to compare (so that I can educate myself when diesels are widely available here)?

Is it durability, lack of quality problems, power, fuel economy, etc.?
I have a surprise for you.

Isuzu is responsible for GM's Duramax diesels, which far outclass the Ford diesels and even Dodge's Cummins unit.

Isuzu should not be doubted when it comes to diesel. They are the sensei here, not Toyota. Believe it.
Old 08-26-07, 06:50 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

The only reason you say that is because you are unaware of the praise Isuzu diesels have gotten in the US in the form of the GM Duramax motors in their heavy-duty pickups.

The people on the GMI forum were PISSED when this news broke out. Make no mistake, Toyota knew exactly what they were doing when they went to Isuzu for help.

Toyota will be taking the back seat in this relationship, as Isuzu have more expertise.

I just hope Toyota is serious about truly BRINGING the fruits of this diesel relationship to the US in a big way. The new clean diesels compete directly with the hybrid system that Toyota has built their recent image and reputation around. A diesel hybrid would make the most sense to marry these two in a convenient, internally non-competitive way. My only concern is that all the other Japanese companies have pretty much laid out their plans for diesel in the US in some greater detail, whereas Toyota seems behind the curve. They were smart enough to know they couldn't do it themselves, so they turned to Isuzu. A clutch play.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-26-07, 07:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Probably because it gets better gas mileage in the city and is more fun to drive than the Camry
Yeah, the Altima hybrid has a very respectable 0-60 time. Though I have heard consistent reports that if you drive the Camry hybrid gently you can achieve much higher than estimated fuel economy numbers.

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I have a surprise for you.

Isuzu is responsible for GM's Duramax diesels, which far outclass the Ford diesels and even Dodge's Cummins unit.

Isuzu should not be doubted when it comes to diesel. They are the sensei here, not Toyota. Believe it.
I drove my first diesel the other day. It was a Duramax in a 24 foot GMC Budget truck. It really accelerated when you were moving, but from a stand still it was a dog. 9.5 MPG for a mountainous 200 miles trip.
Old 08-27-07, 08:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota's truck unit, Isuzu agree to develop truck technology

Toyota's truck unit, Isuzu agree to develop truck technology

Yuri Kageyama / Associated Press

Monday, August 27, 2007

TOKYO -- Japanese truck maker Isuzu and Toyota stepped up their collaboration Monday, announcing they will work together to develop a system to make diesel engine exhaust cleaner.

Isuzu Motors Ltd., a Toyota partner, will work with Hino Motors Ltd., Toyota's truck subsidiary, on the green diesel technology, and to develop heavy-duty truck cabins, where the truck driver sits, both sides said in a statement.

Isuzu and Hino, which already work together producing buses and truck components, said the agreement will help cut development costs by allowing the manufacturers to share technology at a time when global ecological standards are expected to get tougher.

Last week, Tokyo-based Isuzu said it will work with Toyota Motor Corp., Japan's top automaker, to develop and produce small 1.6 liter diesel engines for Toyota vehicles sold in Europe, with production set to start 2012.

Through such deals, Toyota will be able to take advantage of Isuzu's highly reputed diesel technology.

Toyota owns a 5.9 percent stake in Isuzu, which formed a capital alliance with Toyota in November after dissolving its tie-up with General Motors Corp. in April 2006.

Toyota and Hino said they foresee intensifying competition in the truck and bus markets around the world.
via detnews
Old 08-27-07, 08:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The only reason you say that is because you are unaware of the praise Isuzu diesels have gotten in the US in the form of the GM Duramax motors in their heavy-duty pickups.

The people on the GMI forum were PISSED when this news broke out. Make no mistake, Toyota knew exactly what they were doing when they went to Isuzu for help.

Toyota will be taking the back seat in this relationship, as Isuzu have more expertise.

I just hope Toyota is serious about truly BRINGING the fruits of this diesel relationship to the US in a big way. The new clean diesels compete directly with the hybrid system that Toyota has built their recent image and reputation around. A diesel hybrid would make the most sense to marry these two in a convenient, internally non-competitive way. My only concern is that all the other Japanese companies have pretty much laid out their plans for diesel in the US in some greater detail, whereas Toyota seems behind the curve. They were smart enough to know they couldn't do it themselves, so they turned to Isuzu. A clutch play.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

lol... joke post of the year?
Old 08-27-07, 09:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota has considerable diesel experience just like Isuzu; is everyone forgetting Toyota's truck division Hino? Or Toyota's European diesels which are critically praised?

Toyota is working with Isuzu to boost their competitiveness. This relationship is going to be long-term and much more significant than what Isuzu and GM ever achieved. We've got the small 1.6L diesel the two companies are working on, and now we've got the announcement that Hino and Isuzu will work together on green diesel technology as well as truck cabins. Hino is known worldwide for the quality trucks they make, especially their cabins. Isuzu could learn a thing or two about making truck cabins, so it makes sense for them to work with Hino.

This is a mutual relationship with both Isuzu and Toyota benefitting.

This makes sense as worldwide competition is intensifying. Due to Japan's collective society, more and more Japanese companies are working together under tougher competition.
Old 08-27-07, 04:11 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol... joke post of the year?
Hardly.

In case you didn't get the memo, Toyota's D4D isn't all that anymore. Honda and the Europeans, like BMW, Renault, et. al. have upped the game in recent years with their offerings, and Toyota is playing catch-up.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-27-07 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 05:17 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

didnt toyota to something similar with subaru, subaru is gonna make camry's at their indian plants. Toyota will help out subaru with hybrid, and im sure subaru will help toyota with awd.

Its good to see toyota teaming up with companies for their strongpoints. Good buisness.
all i really want to know is
WHERE IS MY HYBRID DIESEL FJ CRUISER. I WANT IT NOW!

-J

Oh and speaking of diesel, am i the only one who faintly remembers toyota making the diesels for some minicoopers in europe. Did i dream that up, becuase i thought i read that.
Old 08-27-07, 05:24 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J_RoK
WHERE IS MY HYBRID DIESEL FJ CRUISER. I WANT IT NOW!
I could get down with that. But they could skip the hybrid part, as long as could offer a 3.0-3.2 liter V6 that gets 30MPG and makes 350+ ft.-lbs.
Old 08-27-07, 06:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Hardly.

In case you didn't get the memo, Toyota's D4D isn't all that anymore. Honda and the Europeans, like BMW, Renault, et. al. have upped the game in recent years with their offerings, and Toyota is playing catch-up.
Last time I checked, the D4-D engine in the IS220d in Europe remains class-leading in several measures.

Also in case you didn't know, Toyota has a new generation of diesel engines coming out in Europe in 2008.
Old 08-27-07, 08:33 PM
LexFather

I don't like the FJ