Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, Isuzu agree to develop diesel engines & truck technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07 | 10:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Toyota, Isuzu agree to develop diesel engines & truck technology

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Toyota, Isuzu agree to develop diesel engines

Yuri Kageyama / Associated Press

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. and truckmaker Isuzu Motors Ltd. will cooperate in developing and producing small diesel engines for the European market, the companies said today.

The agreement will allow Toyota, Japan's top automaker, to take advantage of Isuzu's highly reputed diesel technology. Their talks on this collaboration began last November.

Production of the 1.6 liter diesel engines for use in Toyota vehicles sold in Europe will start 2012, the companies said in a statement.

Demand for diesel vehicles is growing especially in Europe because of worries about global warming. Diesel fuel is widely known for good mileage, and recent innovations have made diesel cleaner.

Toyota already produces diesel engines in Europe, but it has tended to focus more on so-called hybrid technology, in which a car switches between a gas engine and an electric motor for fuel efficiency.

The agreement allows Toyota to get help from Isuzu to compete in diesel technology with rivals such as Honda Motor Co., which is strengthening its diesel lineup.

Toyota and Isuzu said the companies were working out details on development, production and supply of the diesel engine, but Isuzu "will play the leading role."

Toyota owns a 5.9 percent stake in Isuzu. Isuzu formed a capital alliance with Toyota in November after dissolving its tie-up with General Motors Corp. in April 2006.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...64/1148/AUTO01
Old 08-23-07 | 10:49 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Isuzu makes the best diesel motors on the market.
Old 08-23-07 | 11:37 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

So Toyota will be using Isuzu diesel technology in the same way that Nissan uses Toyota hybrid technology. Can't these car companies develop their own technologies without relying on other brands? (kidding of course)
Old 08-23-07 | 02:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

lol... what isuzu small diesel?
Old 08-23-07 | 02:55 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
Isuzu makes the best diesel motors on the market.
Since we still have very fiew diesels here in US, I am curious as to what criteria you use to compare (so that I can educate myself when diesels are widely available here)?

Is it durability, lack of quality problems, power, fuel economy, etc.?
Old 08-23-07 | 04:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Isuzu makes SOME of the best diesel engines in the world. Hino is also another Japanese maker (part of Toyota) that makes some of the best diesels in the world.

Isuzu and Hino, like other world-class diesel makers, make diesel engines that are simple and cheap to repair, relatively inexpensive, extremely durable and reliable, and also give great power and awesome fuel economy.

The competition better be worried. Isuzu partnering with Toyota is going to yield an extremely competitive diesel engine, likely class-leading in many aspects.
Old 08-23-07 | 04:33 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

diesel-hybrid please!
Old 08-23-07 | 04:35 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JessePS
diesel-hybrid please!
That's what I'm talkin' about. Best of both worlds
Old 08-24-07 | 07:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Official PR

Originally Posted by Toyota Motor Corporation

Isuzu and Toyota Reach Basic Agreement on Collaboration for Development, Production and Supply of Small Diesel Engines

Tokyo — ISUZU MOTORS LIMITED (Isuzu) and TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that they have reached a basic agreement concerning a business collaboration on the development, production and supply of small diesel engines.

Isuzu and TMC signed a memorandum of understanding last November to begin studying the synergic effects of business collaboration to mutually utilize their management resources in the fields of R&D and production, and to supplement each other’s technological development. Since then, the two companies have conducted investigations with the aim of reaching agreement on the specific details of the business collaboration.

The engine that the two companies will develop is a 1.6-liter engine with an aluminum cylinder block for use in Toyota vehicles sold in European markets. Both companies will maximize use of their technological capabilities and expertise to develop and produce an engine with the world’s highest performance.

Isuzu and TMC will begin discussions on the details of operations concerning development, production and supply of the diesel engine, but in principle, Isuzu will play the leading role. Production is scheduled to begin around 2012.

The two companies intend to hold continuing talks over the creation of a comprehensive cooperative framework that will contribute to their mutual competitiveness and development over the long term.
Old 08-24-07 | 07:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
So Toyota will be using Isuzu diesel technology in the same way that Nissan uses Toyota hybrid technology. Can't these car companies develop their own technologies without relying on other brands? (kidding of course)
This is totally different.
1. Nissan buys old Toyota tech. They are not partnering. Toyota has no shares in NIssan, Nissan is owned by Renault.
2. Toyota owns 5.9% of Isuzu. Then they are partnering to make better diesels.

Its smart for car companies to partner with another expert in a particular field. Outright buying tech is a short term solution.

The funny thing is many prefer the Nissan Altima hyrbid to the Camry hybrid
Old 08-24-07 | 11:47 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is totally different.
1. Nissan buys old Toyota tech. They are not partnering. Toyota has no shares in NIssan, Nissan is owned by Renault.
Actually Nissan is owned by Nissan, as Renault owns less than 50%.

2. Toyota owns 5.9% of Isuzu. Then they are partnering to make better diesels.

Its smart for car companies to partner with another expert in a particular field. Outright buying tech is a short term solution.
The point here is that Toyota is not developing the technology on their own. They could, but they choose not to. Nissan could have as well, but chose not to at the time. Same difference. Although I know Nissan has stated they are currently developing their own hybrid tech, so then they won't be using Toyota's beyond that point. I don't believe Toyota will start to develop their own diesels and not use Isuzu's diesel tech once these engines are out there. It's a permanent sharing of technology.

The funny thing is many prefer the Nissan Altima hyrbid to the Camry hybrid

Probably because it gets better gas mileage in the city and is more fun to drive than the Camry
Old 08-24-07 | 12:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Actually Nissan is owned by Nissan, as Renault owns less than 50%.

The point here is that Toyota is not developing the technology on their own. They could, but they choose not to. Nissan could have as well, but chose not to at the time. Same difference. Although I know Nissan has stated they are currently developing their own hybrid tech, so then they won't be using Toyota's beyond that point. I don't believe Toyota will start to develop their own diesels and not use Isuzu's diesel tech once these engines are out there. It's a permanent sharing of technology.

Probably because it gets better gas mileage in the city and is more fun to drive than the Camry
you dont know what you are talking about... Isuzu does not produce small high tech diesels anymore - Toyota does.

What they are doing is taking their engineers and their idle plant in order to boost their capacity.

Toyota has wide range of diesels, including best 4cly diesels in the world - most powerful 4cly diesel in both trucks and passanger cars come from Toyota, and it is also greenest one too.
Old 08-24-07 | 04:14 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Actually Nissan is owned by Nissan, as Renault owns less than 50%. (yes but RENAULT is the MAJORITY owner)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1627671.stm
Nissan will buy a 15% stake in Renault, which in turn will up its stake in Nissan to 44.4% from the current 36.8%.
Nissan is owned by Renault. It might be a hard pill to swallow but its fact.

Toyota HAS diesels already Lexus HAS a diesel, the IS 220d is the most powerful diesel in class. Powering together with Isuzu is IDEAL, they are diesel experts.

As for Nissan or Infiniti, they will use RENAULT diesel engines.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=renault

Renault, which has a 44 percent stake in Nissan, is in charge of developing diesel engines for Infiniti, but a spokesman for the French brand says no date has been set for the engine’s launch. Renault currently uses an Isuzu-sourced V-6 diesel in its large cars.

Yes, Altima buyers drive them b/c they are more fun to drive, or because they look like a Lexus? I am not going to argue here, the Altima hybrid is a fine car.
You seriously should consider changing your screename.
Old 08-25-07 | 05:32 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Toyota HAS diesels already Lexus HAS a diesel, the IS 220d is the most powerful diesel in class. Powering together with Isuzu is IDEAL, they are diesel experts.
Right, but my point is, the top selling automaker in the world (Toyota) shouldn’t have to rely on a company like Isuzu to help further develop their diesel technology. But hey, I guess whatever saves them a buck or two is good. Unfortunately though, that seems to be too much of their focus lately and their products seem to have suffered as a result.
Old 08-26-07 | 09:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Right, but my point is, the top selling automaker in the world (Toyota) shouldn’t have to rely on a company like Isuzu to help further develop their diesel technology. But hey, I guess whatever saves them a buck or two is good. Unfortunately though, that seems to be too much of their focus lately and their products seem to have suffered as a result.
tell me what modern diesels is Isuzu producing right now? please do...

What I said before - Toyota will use Isuzu engineers and idle plants that Isuzu has. But Isuzu does not have modern diesels in production right now, they lost their last contract with Open few years ago.

Quick Reply: Toyota, Isuzu agree to develop diesel engines & truck technology