Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: 2009 Honda Pilot (Early Reactions Sour on Design of New Honda Pilot - Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 07:52 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how you can see each generation of the pilot clearly inherits traits from the prior, whereas toyota seems to bounce around with the flavor of the year.

please note I said simple and elegant, not "gorgeous".

her·i·tage (hĕr'ĭ-tĭj)
n.
1 Property that is or can be inherited; an inheritance.
2 Something that is passed down from preceding generations; a tradition.
3 The status acquired by a person through birth; a birthright: a heritage of affluence and social position.

Thanks for clearly illustrating 2 for me in the pilot.
Old 01-14-08, 08:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow, that thing looks hideous. Honestly, looks like some kind of minivan slapped together with a suv. Very dissapointed.
Old 01-14-08, 10:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
It has a functional timeless shape that you can trace its heritage from. This will definitely age well. Honda/Acura's are developing a patent front grill that makes a strong brand recognition statement.
You work in their marketing department?

It's timeless if you're already dead.
Old 01-14-08, 10:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Front looks familiar...

Old 01-15-08, 09:13 AM
LexFather

^^^ Rotflmao.....-

Old 01-16-08, 10:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnyReDEs6OQ
Old 01-17-08, 04:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
i love how you can see each generation of the pilot clearly inherits traits from the prior, whereas toyota seems to bounce around with the flavor of the year.

please note I said simple and elegant, not "gorgeous".

her·i·tage (hĕr'ĭ-tĭj)
n.
1 Property that is or can be inherited; an inheritance.
2 Something that is passed down from preceding generations; a tradition.
3 The status acquired by a person through birth; a birthright: a heritage of affluence and social position.

Thanks for clearly illustrating 2 for me in the pilot.
Well--this is only the 2nd Gen of the Pilot and the Highlander, so I'm not sure exactly what that means. Yes, they kept the Pilot a 3-box design, so it's true to its heritage. BMW designs cars to reflect "heritage"; I'm not sure Honda or Toyota do that...

I'd lean toward a Highlander, if it were based on design.
Old 01-29-08, 08:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Early Reactions Sour on Design of New Honda Pilot

Early Reactions Sour on Design of New Honda Pilot

Date posted: 01-28-2008

DETROIT — Honda calls the design of its new Pilot prototype "evolutionary," but many consumers are panning the styling of the proposed 2009 Pilot that debuted at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show.

In fact, it seems that in a styling-conscious market where sleek crossovers rank as some of the hottest vehicles, the chockablock 2009 Pilot might end up fitting like a square peg into a round hole.

It's way too early to sound a distress signal for a vehicle that is still several months from introduction, of course. But some participants in chats on Edmunds.com, for example, recognize that Honda's continuation of a very squared-off rear end in the Prototype is a compromise aimed in part at accommodating the third-row roominess that has been one of the strongest differentiators of the current Pilot.

And the prototype Pilot design "scored lousy" with consumers who were surveyed several days ago by CNW Research, said Art Spinella, president of the Bandon, Oregon-based automotive-research concern. Pilot garnered "about 7.5 on our 12-point scale for exterior styling, which stinks for a new vehicle," he said. Typical such scores are 8.7 to 9.0." CNW surveyed several hundred consumers in Detroit, Los Angeles and Chicago using Honda press materials from the Detroit show and video of the Pilot prototype that was obtained from Honda, Spinella said.

"Mostly, people said it was boring — there was nothing distinctive about it to them in a positive way," Spinella explained. Even more ominous for the new Pilot, he said, is that consumers surveyed "were not really crazy about any particular part of the exterior. Normally you don't see that with a new car; some feature will turn them on. But this [lukewarm reaction] was pretty much 360 degrees."

Honda can't afford to make a mistake with the 2009 Pilot. Pilot was introduced in 2002, and sales climbed steadily, to 152,000 units in 2006; then they dropped precipitously last year, by 23 percent, to 117,000, according to data compiled by Edmunds.com.

What this means to you: If you're a Pilot fan, consider trying to get a deal as the '08s are closed out, on a vehicle whose styling, at least, won't be made obsolete by its replacement. — Dale Buss, Correspondent
source
Old 01-29-08, 08:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i like it, its not omgawesome looking but it isnt omgfugly either, more simple. Man the interior is real nice too. Dunno about this distinction thing, I wouldve went with something more expensive if I wanted distinction.
Old 01-29-08, 09:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i like it, its not omgawesome looking but it isnt omgfugly either, more simple. Man the interior is real nice too. Dunno about this distinction thing, I wouldve went with something more expensive if I wanted distinction.
I have thought for years now that Honda holds back on its styling--first with the Accord and now with the Pilot--in order to make the Acura sibling more distinctive. If the styling were less boring, they may lure more MDX buyers away from Acura, especially those buying the base MDX vs. a loaded Pilot.

http://automobiles.honda.com/2009-pr...20080129174718

If you check out the rendering of the Pilot Prototype, its much racier than the final vehicle. Same was true for the 1st Gen.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-29-08 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 09:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a simplicity to it, just like the current LC/LX.

However, it does look dated: body side moulding, plastic bottom, retro Rover-wannabe styling -- I can see why people would be turned off by it.
Old 01-29-08, 10:17 AM
LexFather

Don't worry, leedog will buy it, no matter what it looks like, lol...

Honda (and no offense to the Honda faithful), outside the TL and S2000, makes the ugliest and blandest cars on the market and I've said it for sometime and more and more, the point is shown. Their faithful following and image keeps things selling for the most part.

Most every concept they have debuted either got a big "your scaring the kids" or a nice lackluster response, from production vehicles like the RL/MDX/RDX to concepts like this Pilot, the NSX replacement and the giant robot *****.

Old 01-29-08, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Honda/Acura is hit and miss on design right now.

I like the new Civics and Accords, the MDX is a 'butter' car, nice from the back, but...

This new Pilot though takes boring to a whole new level.
Old 01-29-08, 08:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like one of Ford's SUV concepts (Bronco was it?).

Anyway, Spinella's crap in my book so I don't trust what he says.
Old 01-29-08, 11:01 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

Looks like a jeep Liberty in this pic (or that larger Jeep what ever the name of that thing is)

I will never ever ever do drugs.

Quick Reply: Spied: 2009 Honda Pilot (Early Reactions Sour on Design of New Honda Pilot - Page 4)