Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got an Automated Red Light Ticket...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 03:29 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods420
I forgot to say you can buy a spray that will make a glare on your plate so the camera can not get the numbers. And it does work
http://www.phantomplate.com/
or
http://gift2all.zoovy.com/category/platespray/
or many other websites

I bought that stuff, absolute garbage, does not work AT ALL, my tests with side by side comparisions and multiple flashes and angles on the MR2 board showed and everyone agreed, just makes your plate EASIER to read. Don't waste your money.
Old 08-28-07, 03:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
I think there's a study that says red-light cameras result in more rear-end collisions as more people slam the brakes and people behind them crash into them. So much for "safety"

Montgomery County, MD has speed cameras in addition to red light cameras now. It's a good thing the speed cameras are clearly marked

A study in San Diego found that it is actually costing the city more to run the red light cameras than it is bringing in for revenue. Might have been good before everyone wised up, now they are just a drain on public coffers. Leave it to San Diego's joke local officials to not pull the plug (We're Enron by the bay now, no longer America's finest city).
Old 08-29-07, 11:14 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I know they have those phantom-plate things where it completely diffuses your numbers from certain angles. Trust me those work 100%. My friend has ran through a few toll booths and no tickets so far(just for experimental purposes). They work against any video or still photo camera because it obscures the plate numbers if viewed a few degrees off dead center axis with the plate. Yes, those are totally illegal and obvious to spot, but I do see quite a few people running around town with those.

In many Asian and European countries, they no longer rely on police enforcement for speeding and traffic violations(well, they do but much much less than here). Pretty much everything is automated with pictures and video evidence to back up the ticket. The upside is that you can buy a GPS warning unit that tells you where all the boobie traps are. Just update it every so often to keep your butt covered. I wish they had something like that here. I know they have that new Passport9500 with GPS, but I don't think it has a internal map database that you can just download. You have to press the button to save GPS coordinates into the radar for EVERY camera spot lol.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 08-29-07 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-07, 05:37 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I drive with a helmet.
That might make a funny story LOL.

Traffic Picture Screener: "Hey dude, check out this picture!"
Other Guy: "Holy crap!!! Its Batman.... and he's flipping off the camera..."
Old 08-30-07, 09:34 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in nyc, it's $55 with no points no matter how many times...
Old 08-31-07, 09:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
in nyc, it's $55 with no points no matter how many times...
I guess running reds there is just a toll then lol. Gotta get somewhere fast? No problem $55 per light