Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Range Rover Sport ---

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 05:15 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Range Rover Sport ---

Love this vehicle.

Thoughts
Pros, Cons, Tax Write OFF ...lol ?
Old 08-28-07, 06:34 AM
Chris22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pros: Quick (when SC), great interior, affordable (compared to RR), improved reliability (though still horrific), very classy. Very capable offroad (not that any of it's owners utilize this).

Cons: When compared to the regular RR ($20k more), the interior doesn't compare and in the next few years (because of production numbers), it's going to be a lot more common. Performance lacks when compared to Cayenne, build quality lacks when compared to X5, RX and FX (Distant competitors), and even when compared to the ML.

Range Rovers are great cars with a lot of flaws. However, they have one of the highest rates in the industry of keeping customers. Everyone knows that Land Rover's build quality is crap but Land Rover has managed to make a good enough product that people can overlook that. In typical British style, it exudes class and style and the interior is made of very high quality woods and leather in a design that works excellently.

I'm more of a fan of the regular Range Rover HSE/SC though to be honest. Something about that timeless design does it for me. (But then again I have a bit of a thing for Classic Range Rovers and Defenders )

Chris
Old 08-28-07, 06:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I love that truck, I hear mixed reviews though as far as reliability
Old 08-28-07, 03:11 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My uncle has one...every now and then, he'll ask to use my Tacoma to pull his boat. In return, he lends me the Range....black with black 22 inch DaVinci's on it....needless to say, it's pretty quick. The transmission shifts pretty smoothly too. At over 26k miles, no major flaws to report. He had to do front brakes at 25k miles though. Those Brembo pads are soft.

I do have a few gripes though. For an SUV that costs 80-90 G's, it doesn't even have one-touch window operation. Kind of annoying for you to have to hold the button down. Second, it guzzles gas big time. I think I was getting like 12-13 mpg. I guess it doesn't help that it has a supercharged V8 that begs to be pushed
Old 08-28-07, 03:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I saw one on fire on the side of 80 freeway a few days ago.
Old 08-28-07, 03:33 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I saw one on fire on the side of 80 freeway a few days ago.
^That made me lol.
Old 08-28-07, 04:22 PM
mac6694
Driver

^^lol...

for the money, I could buy a cheap SUV and fix it up to perform better on and offroad. It wouldn't be as pretty, it wouldn't have the name or all the accoutriments, but it would perform.

In fact, I plan to. I'm looking around for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee to purchase, then the engine and tranny go bye-bye for a stroked I-6 and a supercharger and a custom tranny to handle the torque and HP. Numbers were estimated at mid 400HP/Tq when I last did my calculations (over a year ago) and so I've found some high-clearance 1-tons axles too, that will accept selectable lockers. what else...well its designed to be an expeditionary vehicle, so it won't get a lot of lift but there will be bodywork done to open up the fenderwells. It'll have both CB and HAM radios, winch bumper, etc...all the armor stuff you would expect in a heavy offroad vehicle.

I estimated the price for this build at jsut over 50K last year. Tell me agian why I should pay so much for something that can't perform to my own demands?
Old 08-29-07, 01:40 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Mac... I am more impressed with the exterior/interior design elements rather than its performance...
Old 08-29-07, 01:43 PM
Chris22
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
I do have a few gripes though. For an SUV that costs 80-90 G's, it doesn't even have one-touch window operation. Kind of annoying for you to have to hold the button down. Second, it guzzles gas big time. I think I was getting like 12-13 mpg. I guess it doesn't help that it has a supercharged V8 that begs to be pushed
The regular Range has one touch windows. Can't speak for the Sport.

Chris
Old 08-30-07, 03:49 AM
Zachary
Driver School Candidate

I love this car too. No cons!
Old 08-30-07, 06:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

These trucks do not retain its value well. In 2 years time it will be valued at 25k in the used car market. This will be a great pick up for those wanting a 390hp super Range
Old 08-30-07, 06:50 AM
Milla...

A friend of mine had the RR HSE and he had so many issues he gave it back after about four months. Although beautiful his sad experience has totally turned me off from them.

If you have to have one totally lease it.
Old 08-30-07, 07:45 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Milla...
A friend of mine had the RR HSE and he had so many issues he gave it back after about four months. Although beautiful his sad experience has totally turned me off from them.

If you have to have one totally lease it.
IF I went in this direction it would definitely be a lease...
Old 08-30-07, 08:31 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
These trucks do not retain its value well. In 2 years time it will be valued at 25k in the used car market.
Quoted again for any Range Rover owners out there. Your vehicle has one of THE WORST depreciation rates in the industry.

This is largely due to the fact that, once out of warranty, you'll spend another $5k/year trying to keep the thing running...ask how I know
Old 09-01-07, 10:17 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

how culd u not luv the rr sport. idc about the reliability, just get a warranty, and not only that, just because they r known to break sdown, doesnt mean they will. but honestly id rather have a cayenne and screw u guys who think there fugly lol jk

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport ---