Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti likely to add AWD to G37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 04:02 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a fabulous idea. I think this move may very well offset what I
consider to be somewhat of a miss in the front end styling of the car...
Old 08-31-07, 04:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The front end is a step backward in styling from the G35 coupe (yes I parked mine next to a white G37 for comparison, & there's no question to me), but it's not bad (though I like the front of the new G35 sedan better), it's really the ugly front bumper for the G37 S-model that disappoints me, but I can't see myself getting this car without getting the S-model with a 6-speed manual though, that's the dilemma.
Old 08-31-07, 04:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Robarapta
The front end is a step backward in styling from the G35 coupe (yes I parked mine next to a white G37 for comparison, & there's no question to me), but it's not bad (though I like the front of the new G35 sedan better), it's really the ugly front bumper for the G37 S-model that disappoints me, but I can't see myself getting this car without getting the S-model with a 6-speed manual though, that's the dilemma.
Yeah, I don't know why they gave it such mudane and sedan looking bumper on the S model. I don't think the G35 S gets a different bumper?

I guess the M45 sport gets a diff bumper too though.

Seeing them in person, I still prefer your current car in the looks department.

Old 08-31-07, 08:31 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, I don't know why they gave it such mudane and sedan looking bumper on the S model. I don't think the G35 S gets a different bumper?

I guess the M45 sport gets a diff bumper too though.

Seeing them in person, I still prefer your current car in the looks department.
Here's the 07 G35 Sedan NON-sport & Sport bumper:

Non-Sport:

Sport:

Old 08-31-07, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Okay thanks, I like the non sport better on the sedan and coupe.

Old 09-01-07, 02:44 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
Hopefully this doesn't mean it'll lose more power through the drivetrain.
Do the Haldex-type systems lose any significant power through the drivetrain or is the only penalty in normal driving the extra weight?
Old 09-01-07, 02:59 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree the non-sport one looks better up front, BUT...

Today I test drove a G37 Sport with the 4 wheel steering package
and it is an absolutely BRILLIANT machine. It blows away the M45
Sport in terms of handling and effortlessness. I thought my GS300's
body was solid and felt like 1 piece, but this thing is TRULY tight as
a drum. If I didn't already have a frigging expensive car loan on the
Lexus I would've bought a black G37 Sport on the spot.

I now understand why BMW said they are worried about Infiniti, not
Lexus. Holy smokes
Old 09-01-07, 03:28 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I now understand why BMW said they are worried about Infiniti, not
Lexus. Holy smokes
you should price a G37 against the 335Ci. You can get a loaded G37 for basically the same price as a leatherette 335Ci. G37 is a tremendous value and I already think the G35 could be the best overall vehicle in its class.
Old 09-01-07, 04:01 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

as far as i'm concerned, infinity failed when they went from concept to production. Its too bad
Old 09-01-07, 11:43 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leedogg
as far as i'm concerned, infinity failed when they went from concept to production. Its too bad
99% of production car's do not live up to the revolutionary looks/styling of its concept. It does not mean the production version will look bad; it just means it won't be as admiring and extreme as the concept itself.

I can only remember a few instances where a production car really looked like its previous concept.

I agree, the G Concept was amazing. I still really like the G37, but its no where as revolutionary as the concept approach. It's more of a conservative evolution.

Old 09-02-07, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
99% of production car's do not live up to the revolutionary looks/styling of its concept. It does not mean the production version will look bad; it just means it won't be as admiring and extreme as the concept itself.

I can only remember a few instances where a production car really looked like its previous concept.

I agree, the G Concept was amazing. I still really like the G37, but its no where as revolutionary as the concept approach. It's more of a conservative evolution.

I have to say that the concept was right on with muscularity and proportions. While the production coupe (not sure why the sport got a change in bumper) is similar, whatever little touches they made, did make a BIG difference. Add an Altima coupe and the new styling has me okay where the 1st gen had me (and just about everyone) floored.

Old 09-02-07, 01:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
The 90's 300ZX TT is AWD ??
I've only heard of a RWD version that exist . . .

I don't want the extra weight though, I am doing fine with my RWD G35 coupe year round, maybe with the exception of a couple of days a year, when I might have to drive up the hill to my house with a little snow. Usually, I just get a ride in those days

There was never an AWD Z

And you're right about the weight. The G37 is already one fat overwight pig, adding the AWD system will push it near 4000lbs. This is why I keep saying the GTR is going to be 3800lbs or so.
Old 09-02-07, 05:38 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The weird thing with the coupe concept was that it wasn't that whacky. Aside from the panoramic roof and the crazy LED headlamps, it could have been a production car. Given the overwhelmingly positive response to it I can't believe they changed it so much for production. I drove a G37s last week - I can honestly say I prefer the G35 coupe's styling in almost every sense *except* that the G37s is wider.
Old 09-02-07, 05:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
Hopefully this doesn't mean it'll lose more power through the drivetrain.
Originally Posted by jaydunn
Do the Haldex-type systems lose any significant power through the drivetrain or is the only penalty in normal driving the extra weight?

Anytime you add more things for the engine to turn, you'll lose power through friction. You dont get something for nothing.

As for the haldex systems, you're only penalized when the awd system engages. Most if not all haldex systems are non-permanent awd system.
Old 09-03-07, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Anytime you add more things for the engine to turn, you'll lose power through friction. You dont get something for nothing.

As for the haldex systems, you're only penalized when the awd system engages. Most if not all haldex systems are non-permanent awd system.
Haldex-derived systems, despite a "Lock" feature on some of their control switches (depending on the vehicle), don't truly "lock" the differentials for max low-traction benefits in a conventional sense either.......they accomplish more or less the same function by other means.

Quick Reply: Infiniti likely to add AWD to G37 coupe