Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti likely to add AWD to G37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 09:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Infiniti likely to add AWD to G37 coupe

Infiniti will likely add an AWD option to its G37 coupe in the following months to keep it abreast with its closest rival, BMW’s 335i and its recently announced 335xi coupe. According to its communications manager Tim Gallagher, Infiniti’s dealers and customers have been demanding an AWD G-coupe for some time now and the chances of it making it to production are likely though nothing has been confirmed as yet.

Earlier this month, Infiniti added the second AWD model to its M sedan range with the launch of the 4.5L V8 powered M45x and pencilled in for an early 2008 launch is a new AWD G35x sedan. This would likely be the same set-up that would make its way into the new G37 coupe.

A new AWD version of the G37 could match two-doors like the aforementioned 335xi and Audi’s quattro A5 in the performance stakes but would certainly undercut them both in price, leaving Infiniti with a sure-fired winner.

http://www.motorauthority.com/
Old 08-30-07, 09:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I think mmarshall wanted to see an AWD G3X coupe for quite a while
If I am getting the G37 coupe in the future, I would still opt for RWD though, the S model with the 6-speed manual
Too bad the S model comes with the ugly bumper
Old 08-31-07, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I think mmarshall wanted to see an AWD G3X coupe for quite a while
If I am getting the G37 coupe in the future, I would still opt for RWD though, the S model with the 6-speed manual
Too bad the S model comes with the ugly bumper
Yep.....good memory, Andrew.

I suggested it to the Nissan people several times at auto shows.....they said they would take the idea back to Nissan Headquarters.

If you wonder WHY I thought the coupe should get the same AWD system the sedan does, several reasons........First, the hardware, engineering, and EPA/DOT ceertification was already there for the sedan, and the coupe uses the same platform and engine......so little extra money and engineering would be required. Second, AWD makes a lot of sense in a high-powered coupe or sports car, and not just for bad weather or slippery roads......witness the awesome reputations that the AWD Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 had.....or even Nissan's own Turbo AWD 300ZX back in the 1990's. Both the G35 and G37 coupes have more than enough power to handle the weight and drag of AWD, and it can help cornering even on dry pavement.

You might want to consider an AWD version even for the Vancover area you live in, Andrew. True, its coastal location and the sheltering mountains keep it from getting a lot of bitter cold air from the Canadian Prairies and big snowstorms, but that Seattle-Vancouver area is notorious for a lot of dampness, light rain, and wet roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-07 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-31-07, 08:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.....or even Nissan's own Turbo AWD 300ZX back in the 1990's.
The 90's 300ZX TT is AWD ??
I've only heard of a RWD version that exist . . .
.....You might want to consider an AWD version even for the Vancover area you live in, Andrew. True, its coastal location keeps it from getting a lot of bitter cold air from the Canadian Prairies and big snowstorms, but that Seattle-Vancouver area is notorious for a lot of dampness, light rain, and wet roads.
I don't want the extra weight though, I am doing fine with my RWD G35 coupe year round, maybe with the exception of a couple of days a year, when I might have to drive up the hill to my house with a little snow. Usually, I just get a ride in those days
Old 08-31-07, 08:38 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its good to see that Infiniti is expanding thier drivetrains to more models. G37x and i've heard a rumor going about a M45x. Something Lexus should consider doing too. Adding AWD to some of its higher sedans.
Old 08-31-07, 08:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LexHiD
Its good to see that Infiniti is expanding thier drivetrains to more models. G37x and i've heard a rumor going about a M45x. Something Lexus should consider doing too. Adding AWD to some of its higher sedans.
The M45X is no longer a rumour, they've officially announced it as available for the 2008 model year.
Old 08-31-07, 08:54 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The M45X is no longer a rumour, they've officially announced it as available for the 2008 model year.
Ty for confirming it.
Old 08-31-07, 09:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This car will sell like hotcakes in the NE. The coupe looks like a work of art.
Old 08-31-07, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The 90's 300ZX TT is AWD ??
I've only heard of a RWD version that exist . . .
You may be right. I seem to remember an AWD 300ZX but it may not have been offered in the American or Canadian markets. What some models of the 300ZX did have was 4-wheel steering....maybe I confused the two.
Old 08-31-07, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexHiD
AWD is becoming more and more expected these days, especially on premium and upmarket vehicles. Eventually, it will be as common on these vehicles as air bags and anti-lock brakes.

Why? Simple. People want better traction in bad weather, but don't want the high center of gravity, bouncy ride, roly-poly cornering, porpoising, rollover threats, and poor gas mileage of a lot of regular SUV's....even some car-based ones.
AWD, though, takes its toll on gas mileage and acceleration, even in regular cars. All other things equal, with non-hybrid AWD vehicles, one must be prepared to accept pokier acceleration and slightly worse gas mileage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-31-07, 12:19 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the G35 coupe have four wheel steering or is that new for the G37?
Old 08-31-07, 01:30 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may be right. I seem to remember an AWD 300ZX but it may not have been offered in the American or Canadian markets. What some models of the 300ZX did have was 4-wheel steering....maybe I confused the two.
Yeah, they only had RWD Z32s, but some had Super-Hicas (4 wheel steering). However, most people I know who modded them opted to bypass this.

Koma - I think in 2006 Infiniti started to offer the 4 wheel active steering and it continued to the new coupe.
Old 08-31-07, 02:06 PM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this doesn't mean it'll lose more power through the drivetrain.
Old 08-31-07, 02:11 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how much unwanted weight this will be adding...
Old 08-31-07, 02:25 PM
LexFather

It will weigh close to 4000 lbs. However, why shouldn't they. They have the AWD G35x. I think its a good move into a small niche.

AWD seems to have Americans thinking its safe and it seems to be a selling point.

Quick Reply: Infiniti likely to add AWD to G37 coupe