Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German luxury SUVs. Made in everywhere BUT Germany.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
It must be the high price of the german workforce.
Exactly. It boils down to money and production costs. Auto workers in German plants, because of company and goverment-supplied perks and benefits, are some of the most highly-paid and under-worked on the planet.....more so, in many cases, than our own UAW (United Auto Workers). It is one of the reasons (among several) why production of vehicles in German plants is so expensive.

And the inevitable result? Like in America, industry and jobs, of course, moving out of Germany and into lower-cost countries....sometimes even into adjacent countries in Europe. Audi, for example, shifted TT production a couple of years ago from Germany to lower-cost Hungary right next door.

Audi Q7 (produced in Bratislava, Slovakia)
BMW X3 (produced by Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria)
BMW X5 (produced in Spartanburg, South Carolina)
Mercedes-Benz M-Class (produced in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama)
Mercedes-Benz GL-Class (produced in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama)
Porsche Cayenne (produced in Bratislava, Slovakia)
Volkswagen Touareg (produced in Bratislava, Slovakia)
And, also added to this German luxo-SUV list, would be the Mercedes R-Class, like the Chrysler Pacifica, a 2+2+2 crossover wagon-SUV, which has been built at the Tuscaloosa plant since 2004.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-07 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-03-07, 06:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Austria is a good place for testing... Here is a nice vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoO6SvUn-8U
Old 09-03-07, 08:04 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
I wonder if the new Lambo SUV will be made in Bratislava, Slovakia as well even though it's Italian.
I was thinking of that also bahahah

Now that would be sad.
Old 09-03-07, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Goes to my theory of the park ranger starting the forest fire. I will bookmark this thread for future reference.
You think everyone that starts a thread you don't like or agree with has an agenda. Grow up. I've started thousands of threads in car chat about just about any car and any subject.

On the contrary, you post BMW youtube vids here and waving the BMW flag until your blue in the face.

No one is THINKING of you when a thread is started or a post is made about BMW. BMW is a car company. We chat about car companies here.

This is CAR CHAT.

Old 09-03-07, 02:23 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X3 indeed does sell better worldwide than the X5. In fact, I believe the X3 2.5i is the best selling X3 model, since it sits comfortably in the middle of the range. Hence, that makes my X3 2.5i the best selling BMW SAV worldwide.
Old 09-03-07, 02:49 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You think everyone that starts a thread you don't like or agree with has an agenda. Grow up. I've started thousands of threads in car chat about just about any car and any subject.

On the contrary, you post BMW youtube vids here and waving the BMW flag until your blue in the face.

No one is THINKING of you when a thread is started or a post is made about BMW. BMW is a car company. We chat about car companies here.

This is CAR CHAT.
Eh, he's probably a drama queen.
Old 09-03-07, 02:50 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The thing is, SUVs are mostly sold in American markets. They don't do that well in other countries.

Might as well have German automakers advertize German cars for the rest of the world, rather than pleasing a few gas-guzzling Yanks...
Actually I travel to Europe and the Middle East a few times a year and I can say that the X5,Touareg and Cayennes are like Yukons and H2s here. Here its a head turner over there my cousins laugh at me because I'm stunned to see so many. By the way nice Ducati Phil.
Old 09-03-07, 04:01 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

This is CAR CHAT.
Listen, I am grown up and probably older than you. If threads or posts were directed towards me individually, I would use the pm and set you or whom ever straight regardless of internet status. No need for me to play e-thug, as I am not a teenager. This is the internet, thus there is no need for me to cry in some corner over online chitter chatter about car brands. What agenda do I have? I've been posting on CL since 2004, and started numerous threads myself including numerous driving events (including Taste of Lexus), group maintainence deals, impromptu local meets, so my behind does not come on here with some agenda. I am not a representive of BMW, Lexus, nor Toyota. I just happen to own all three vehicles. As far as the youtube videos are concerned, I am an auto enthusiasts and post videoes of all vehicles, even my own car racing others (seen my GS400 on youtube racing 2 boosted SC's??) Heck, if these automakers paid me some serious cash or provided some perks, then hell yeah, this Brooklyn Law school educated esquire would defend them zealously. But they are not, so no need for me to wave the proverbial "blue flag" of some automaker. If people call my vehicles ugly, cheap, and don't have much to show for it, then I just look at their disdain as sheer envy. Sad but true... As long as it is not about me the individual I am cool as a cucumber. Not knocking you homie, but perhaps you should review some of your commentary and think about what you type and the reaction it may recieve.. Lets take a look at this recent comment for example..

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
If they put badges on toaster ovens, people would drive them.
Was this comment truly necessary in a thread about the 135 BMW? Is this not "hate baiting"? I recall receiving a warning regarding my response about the 6 series where folks stated that the back was ugly. My response in that thread was "If you put a Lexus badge on it folks would like it" This response was deemed as hait baiting, and sounded the alarms.. heck I own a damn Lexus myself and was bewildered Lets not be hypocritcal thats all I ask... This is a hobby for me and many others here. We wish to enjoy it. Thank you and have a wonderful evening.
Old 09-03-07, 04:22 PM
LexFather

Listen, I am grown up and probably older than you. If threads or posts were directed towards me individually, I would use the pm and set you or whom ever straight regardless of internet status. No need for me to play e-thug, as I am not a teenager. This is the internet, thus there is no need for me to cry in some corner over online chitter chatter about car brands. What agenda do I have? I've been posting on CL since 2004, and started numerous threads myself including numerous driving events (including Taste of Lexus), group maintainence deals, impromptu local meets, so my behind does not come on here with some agenda. I am not a representive of BMW, Lexus, nor Toyota. I just happen to own all three vehicles. As far as the youtube videos are concerned, I am an auto enthusiasts and post videoes of all vehicles, even my own car racing others (seen my GS400 on youtube racing 2 boosted SC's??) Heck, if these automakers paid me some serious cash or provided some perks, then hell yeah, this Brooklyn Law school educated esquire would defend them zealously. But they are not, so no need for me to wave the proverbial "blue flag" of some automaker. If people call my vehicles ugly, cheap, and don't have much to show for it, then I just look at their disdain as sheer envy. Sad but true... As long as it is not about me the individual I am cool as a cucumber. Not knocking you homie, but perhaps you should review some of your commentary and think about what you type and the reaction it may recieve.. Lets take a look at this recent comment for example..

Was this comment truly necessary in a thread about the 135 BMW? Is this not "hate baiting"? I recall receiving a warning regarding my response about the 6 series where folks stated that the back was ugly. My response in that thread was "If you put a Lexus badge on it folks would like it" This response was deemed as hait baiting, and sounded the alarms.. heck I own a damn Lexus myself and was bewildered Lets not be hypocritcal thats all I ask... This is a hobby for me and many others here. We wish to enjoy it. Thank you and have a wonderful evening.
No one is being hypocritical. You are AGAIN, AGAIN making jabs and personal commentary in a car chat thread. This is your initial comment, which is NOT needed.
And the gist of this thread is..? Let me put on my thinking cap for a minute.
You need to just LEAVE your small thinking cap on. If you continue to make comments towards people and continue to try to insinuate ridiculous claims and not the thread topic, those posts will simply be DELETED as they are off-topic and not related to the discussion.

Old 09-03-07, 05:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

This thread is closed. Guys you should take the angry personal commentary to PM and keep the posts topical to the vehicles being discussed in the future.

If threads or posts were directed towards me individually, I would use the pm and set you or whom ever straight regardless of internet status..
I agree, that is exactly what you should have done if you had questions about the intention of this thread. Or post information that is relevant to the vehicles being discussed. Or give your thoughts on whatever logical rationale there may be (and there has to be some, just like Lexus builds many RX vehicles in Canada - this sounds no different to me). Unfortunately none of those more peaceful alternatives were selected.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-03-07 at 05:49 PM.