Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota not rushing lithium-ion tech, focusing on plug-ins

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 08:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota not rushing lithium-ion tech, focusing on plug-ins

Toyota not rushing lithium-ion tech, focusing on plug-ins

Posted on Monday 3 September 2007

Toyota admits lithium ion battery technology is still too hazardous to use in its production cars despite GM announcing earlier this year that it expects to have a plug-in hybrid vehicle with lithium batteries by the end of the decade. The Japanese giant doesn’t want to rush out products with lithium batteries and then see them fail once they’ve left the showroom floor.

The biggest factor holding it back is safety fears, revealed Toyota’s executive vice president for R&D Kazuo Okamoto during an interview with Automotive News. Instead, engineers will concentrate on improving the efficiency of current nickel-metal hydride technology. Lithium ion batteries are smaller and lighter than nickel-metal hydride but they tend to overheat and can even catch on fire.

Okamoto wasn’t willing to give a timeline for the introduction of the new batteries, explaining that there are still a lot of problems to solve.

Though lithium-ion batteries are the power source of choice for a new generation of plug-in hybrids, Toyota is still focusing on rolling out the new electric vehicles despite the expected delays in battery technology. The carmaker has just announced the formation of a new partnership with power utility Electricite de France SA (EDF) to develop electricity infrastructure for plug-in vehicles.
vaia motorauthority
Old 09-03-07, 09:06 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind a plug in, thing is what happens if you don't have a garage to park your car? If you live in a city and you park your car outside, how will the plug-in work?
Old 09-03-07, 06:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I wouldn't mind a plug in, thing is what happens if you don't have a garage to park your car? If you live in a city and you park your car outside, how will the plug-in work?
it wont... but you dont have to use plugin part at all... it is still full hybrid, just like Prius or GS450h...
Old 09-03-07, 08:11 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

That concept is terrible looking.
Old 09-10-07, 08:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota testing plug-ins in Paris

Toyota testing plug-ins in Paris

Monday 10 September 2007

Major carmakers are rushing to develop a new generation of plug-in hybrid vehicles including industry giants Toyota and GM, who hope to have the technology ready for sale by the end of the decade. GM seems to have the lead at the moment, forming a partnership with A123Systems back in July to develop new long life lithium-ion batteries. Toyota, meanwhile, has revealed it will rely on older nickel-metal hydride batteries as its initial developments with lithium have proven too dangerous.

To show it’s not completely out of the race, Toyota has announced plans to road-test four plug-in hybrid cars based on modified versions of its Prius petrol-electric hybrid in a partnership with French energy company EDF. Changes to the regular Prius include the addition of a longer lasting battery and a new power socket for charging.

Initial tests have seen the car travel up to 10km and at speeds of 100km/h on a single charge. With a 110V power source, the batteries take roughly three to four hours to fully charge.
via motorauthority
Old 09-10-07, 10:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

poor toyota, GM has all the high tech...
Old 09-10-07, 01:52 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as Toyota allows retrofits to older Prius models (I'm dreaming, aren't I?)
Old 09-10-07, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
As long as Toyota allows retrofits to older Prius models (I'm dreaming, aren't I?)
yeah... problem with current batteries is that they wouldnt stand too many charges via plug... I am sure you do know all of that as you are an prius owner :-)
Old 09-10-07, 05:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah... problem with current batteries is that they wouldnt stand too many charges via plug... I am sure you do know all of that as you are an prius owner :-)
Yet the PHEV Prius that they're testing in Japan right now have two of our NiMH batteries....
Old 09-10-07, 06:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

You know what I think Toyota needs to do? Active fuel management. GM does it, Chrysler, and now Honda. Take the RX400h for example. On the highway your using an electric motor to power the front wheels and 6 cylinders. Why not cut it down to 3 and boost fuel economy 2-3 mpg. I mean you are running on two systems to propel your wheels there.
Old 09-10-07, 07:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You know what I think Toyota needs to do? Active fuel management. GM does it, Chrysler, and now Honda. Take the RX400h for example. On the highway your using an electric motor to power the front wheels and 6 cylinders. Why not cut it down to 3 and boost fuel economy 2-3 mpg. I mean you are running on two systems to propel your wheels there.
Or one up them and power solely on EV. I mean, you only need a 20-40hp to maintain speed.
Old 09-11-07, 06:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
question is how good their systems are, since Toyota's usally have best in class mpg.

of course RX400h's system is dynamic... it changes all the time what powertrain it is using and at some points, it is not using engine at all.
Old 09-11-07, 08:48 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
question is how good their systems are, since Toyota's usally have best in class mpg.

of course RX400h's system is dynamic... it changes all the time what powertrain it is using and at some points, it is not using engine at all.
I wonder if Toyota will throw everything at the next gen. Prius.

More powerful electric motors, dual VVT-i, Valvematic, VVTi-E...hmm...
Old 09-11-07, 09:01 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

"you might be a tree hugger if......"

"your car and your table lamp are both on a cord"
Old 09-11-07, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I wonder if Toyota will throw everything at the next gen. Prius.

More powerful electric motors, dual VVT-i, Valvematic, VVTi-E...hmm...
not really... prius doesnt even have vvti since it is not needed :P

Quick Reply: Toyota not rushing lithium-ion tech, focusing on plug-ins