Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AUGUST 2007 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 06:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Quite shocking that the Accord outsold the Camry this month, but the old Accord is on it's way out and fact is Honda focused most of their incentives on the Accord this month.
Not really shocking then if Honda's blowing out the final Accords.

Next month Accord sales will drop back down to more realistic levels with the new model coming out and incentives decreasing.
Not necessarily - people may just LIKE the new Accord more. It's a MUCH better vehicle than the current one.

What I find most ironic is that even though Honda sales were UP, Civic sales were down. So much for all the talk about the huge consumer demand for the Civic . Just as I suspected, Civic demand was over-estimated by some. The (old and aging) Corolla managed to outsell the Civic this month.
Well it's not 'irony' but perhaps with Accords being blown out consumers who went in for a Civic ended up buying an Accord for a bit more. The Corolla's sales performance though has been nothing short of amazing for a long time.

My guess is that the Mazda 3 may be eating into Civic sales a bit. Both Civic and Mazda 3 are sporty compacts and essentially fighting for the same customers. The Corolla is more about comfort and fuel economy.
I think you might be right that the Corolla is less 'daring' and may appeal to more practical buyers than the 'space age' Civic or the more sporty Mazda 3. Of the 3 I like the Mazda 3 - I think it's a terrific car and value, but of course I like small cars to be sporty.

Lexus sales were up though this month and look stronger than ever. IS outsold the G sedan and the GS outsold the Infiniti M (again). Year-to-date, GS sales are now ahead of the Infiniti M. Acura sales are a mess. RL sales are a complete embarassment. Lexus has sold more LS models in 2 months than Acura has sold RLs so far this year .
You really should work for Lexus in PR. First I don't consider the IS as competing with the MUCH bigger G sedan. I think Infiniti's G also steals sales from their own M which isn't differentiated enough. And comparing the LS to the Acura RL? Obviously not in the same league and we all know the RL has been a failure.

But discussing these figures is like looking at a battle without considering the whole war. The IS should win against the 3 series and C class and it will have even more competition from the upcoming 1 series. The 135i is likely to be a lot faster than the IS350 and neither has any rear seat room.

But overall, yes, Lexus sales numbers are REALLY impressive. Mostly it's held up by ES, RX and LS, but that's just fine. The 3.5 has done nicely for the GS350 but the 430/450h are basically dead. I don't think the 460 is going to sell any better (well slightly for a short while).

It seems like BMW is killing the 550 with the new 535i and Lexus killed the GS430 with the GS350.

The one brand I'm surprised doesn't do better is Audi. Perhaps it's because they don't have a lot of dealers, or not very good ones, I don't know. But the product line is excellent right now.
Old 09-04-07, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW big month, up for the month and year. 195k sold this year, up fro 179k, good job. 3 and 5 doing SUPERB. They are selling only 400 less V-8 X5s than I-6 ones!
Do you think buyers see the X5 as more 'prestigious' or up market than the Lexus RX? I guess it is really, even though they're both mid size SUVs. I guess the X5 redesign though did make it bigger. The RX to me is a very practical, VERY nice vehicle. The X5 though seems more up market, more fun to drive, and now, MORE practical, amazingly. It's pretty much a Cayenne wannabe.

This is the 2nd month in a row I am saying it. Clearly in our current economic climate, those with money are fine. Look at sales of the more expensive cars in a brand, doing fine from Lexus, BMW, Benz. Wow.
I agree with that. Moreover, the high end AND the low end of luxury brands are doing well. It's the 'middle' that seems to be sagging a bit.
Old 09-04-07, 06:49 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMAZING, the top of the line LS is outselling the GS by a wide margin. WOW. That is something.
LOL, I paid close to 50K for my GS300... For only 15K more I could've had
a 2007 LS460. I got taken to the cleaners

As a consolation prize I get to say I am too young for the LS, it does
not have AWD and it is way too big to drive around in the city. Plus yeah
all that wind noise!!! It's MUCH worse than the dash rattles
Old 09-04-07, 06:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Do you think buyers see the X5 as more 'prestigious' or up market than the Lexus RX? I guess it is really, even though they're both mid size SUVs. I guess the X5 redesign though did make it bigger. The RX to me is a very practical, VERY nice vehicle. The X5 though seems more up market, more fun to drive, and now, MORE practical, amazingly. It's pretty much a Cayenne wannabe.

I agree with that. Moreover, the high end AND the low end of luxury brands are doing well. It's the 'middle' that seems to be sagging a bit.
While the X5 and RX were similar in size, b/c of price and image and the X5 is more purpose built than the RX, I always felt the X5 was in a higher class. The new X5 I really like.

Good points bit about the G killing M sales, the 535 killing 550 sales and 350 killing 430 sales. Great observation

Old 09-04-07, 08:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, in some ways the ES and GS is a similar issue to the G35 and M35/45.
Old 09-04-07, 09:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Hmm, in some ways the ES and GS is a similar issue to the G35 and M35/45.
Agreed. That is why the GS needs to be much more sportier compared to the ES than it is now and offer some unique or exclusive features.

As for GM sales, looking through their figures a lot of fleet-heavy models had really good sales for August like the G6, Cobalt, Impala, and even models like the Uplander were up in sales. My guess is that GM did a fleet dump in order to bolster sales along with the previously-mentioned incentives push on it's trucks.
Old 09-05-07, 08:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

But discussing these figures is like looking at a battle without considering the whole war. The IS should win against the 3 series and C class and it will have even more competition from the upcoming 1 series. The 135i is likely to be a lot faster than the IS350 and neither has any rear seat room.
You really think the IS should win against the 3 series? I test drove the G35 sedan, IS350, and 3 series this weekend and thought that the G35 sedan was easily the best bang for the buck...doesn't really compete with the other two though. Its bigger and considerably cheaper. The IS350 was fast but for the price, the 335 is a couple bucks away and those turbos were Seriously...GREAT car.

I'm also not surprised that the LS outsells the GS...I think the LS actually LOOKS sportier than the supposed "sports sedan." I actually wouldn't mind if they made the GS a little more like a scaled-down LS...maybe with a more aggressive front.
Old 09-05-07, 01:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Audi, fooling themselves as well. Everything down but the Q7. Lexus sells as many LSs as all variants of the A4. Overall this company has sold 60k cars so far. Lexus has sold 54k ES's thus far. Even with all new improving products and lineup, Audi simply cannot catch on in America. Sad.
Wasn't this the exact same situation Lexus was in about a year ago? Where their total increase in sales was 100% due to the IS?

Acura down for the year. Brand new MDX only up 12% ytd over last year. RDX is picking up but nothing to write home about. TL and TSX are down but older so not that big of an issue, though both got refreshes. Can the RL, its embarrassing. 122k sold this year.
MDX had special financing last month - I've got to guess that the grille on that thing is killing them and/or the lack of features that are not available in the Acura lineup (cooled seats, smart key, etc). All I know is that vehicle should be selling better IMHO.

Infiniti up for the year only b/c the G35 is. Everything else is down and even with sales up overall, they only grew 5k units and will not be near their best years. EX is going to help sales but like Acura, they will have a new cute ute with no other new products. 83k sold so far this year.
See comment about Lexus above

Jaguar, can them. Its embarrassing. I feel sorry for this brand, I want it to succeed so bad and they cannot be given away. SO SAD
Jaguar has sold 11k cars this year. The RX I believe hit 11k in A MONTH this year. So sad. PORSCHE sold twice as many cars as Jaguar. Think about that.
Stop saying this!!! Jag needs to dump the X and S lineup* and focus on their XJ and above cars. Those vehicles are sweet and they are on my list for when I hit the big 50 someday....and with your encouragement the brand will die and that would not be good!

*Have you seen the spy shots of the new S Type? WOW - very sweet...
Old 09-05-07, 01:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

It seems like BMW is killing the 550 with the new 535i and Lexus killed the GS430 with the GS350.
Actually I think the 550 sales have held reasonably steady - especially considering the sports package now costs $4,600 on that baby! I think it has something to do with the unique color (Carbon Black) and the M5 aero kit that is now part of the sports package. To be honest, I'm surprised it is still doing as well as it is.
Old 09-05-07, 03:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Wasn't this the exact same situation Lexus was in about a year ago? Where their total increase in sales was 100% due to the IS?
Lexus always has something fresh and their sales continue to increase every year. Acura sales are down 10% this year with new products and a revised lineup.

MDX had special financing last month - I've got to guess that the grille on that thing is killing them and/or the lack of features that are not available in the Acura lineup (cooled seats, smart key, etc). All I know is that vehicle should be selling better IMHO.

On paper, it looks great. Again, it seems the more expensive an Acura, the worse it sells. It is doing okay but I was hoping to see a 25% increase in sales AT LEAST for this brand new SUV. Maybe they are happy with the marginal increase in sales as the SUV is more expensive, thus profits are still better?

See comment about Lexus above

Again, Infiniti is down with everything but the G35. You can't really compare the 2 brands (in sales), Lexus sells nearly 3 times as much. Infiniti's best year was 134k sales I believe in 2005. They have publically stated they want to see 200k sales in the US. THe EX will not sell 70,000 copies in a year, so even moving downmarket, they won't hit that goal. I honestly don't think the m35/45 refresh will do much to help sales.

Stop saying this!!! Jag needs to dump the X and S lineup* and focus on their XJ and above cars. Those vehicles are sweet and they are on my list for when I hit the big 50 someday....and with your encouragement the brand will die and that would not be good!

Doug, I LOVE Jaguar but I am tired of seeing it in this shape. They have lost money since Ford bought them. In retrospect, look at how Renault turned Infiniti around in just a few years. They are selling so bad, I am not sure they can come back. I find the XJ to be fantastic and the XK superb. The X and S types should never have been sold or a much much better job should have been done. The XF looks good but it will not single-handedly turn them around. Sales are pathetic, image is horrible due to all this failure and the X-type/S-type and their marketing department should be fired.

*Have you seen the spy shots of the new S Type? WOW - very sweet...

You mean the XF? I think its nice, I like the fact it will be the biggest car in class (195 inches long) but i don't see it swaying too many BMW/Benz/Lexus owners too it.
Howdy Doug!

Old 09-05-07, 03:25 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Some people seem to be a bit confused about Acura MDX sales. Yes, YTD sales are only up 13%. However, one thing to consider is that even when the first generation MDX was in its last year of sales, it was still doing very well. The old MDX never had a large drop in sales as the model aged. Also seeing as the new MDX has a starting price pretty much where the old MDX maxed out, I don't think Acura could be happier with the sales of the new MDX. The average MDX is equipped at around $44,000. I don't think people have a problem paying close to $50,000 for an Acura so long as it suits their expectations of a $50,000 automobile. The sales figures alone say that.
Old 09-05-07, 06:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You really think the IS should win against the 3 series?
Let me clarify - it can't win today. I'm saying Lexus needs a 3 series fighter and it currently is bringing knives to a gun fight. The IS looks sharp, has an elegant and tidy interior (although it seems decidedly cheap to me compared to other Lexus models) and Lexus finally got wheel fitment right on a car, and the 3.5 engine is terrific. But rear seat space for a 4 door car is pretty ridiculously tight, and BMW offers SO many configurations of the 3 series, the IS just doesn't have a chance. And as you said, the 335i with twin turbos and available big power mods just makes enthusiasts very excited!

I test drove the G35 sedan, IS350, and 3 series this weekend and thought that the G35 sedan was easily the best bang for the buck...doesn't really compete with the other two though. Its bigger and considerably cheaper.
I agree (said so above actually) but at least Infiniti also has the very nice G37 coupe to go against the 3 series coupe.

I'm also not surprised that the LS outsells the GS...I think the LS actually LOOKS sportier than the supposed "sports sedan." I actually wouldn't mind if they made the GS a little more like a scaled-down LS...maybe with a more aggressive front.
I agree COMPLETELY! The GS is a very subtle design. It's grown on my a little but I still find it pretty boring. And for a huge car it doesn't feel roomy inside and the trunk opening seems smaller than that on my Miata. And it seems like it has less wood than the 2GS, so at least they could offer carbon fiber or something to make it seem more sporty. The 2GS was a REALLY big statement in the market - I was smitten immediately. The 3GS, despite ads showing them tearing around Manhattan and so on, has entered the market with a whimper more than a bang.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-05-07 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 09:26 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

$4000 cash on the C350
$2500 cash on the C230
existing inventory, looks like the consumer is no longer willing to pay a premium for an inferior vehicle. Hopefully this eventually this will trickle north.
Old 09-06-07, 06:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Some people seem to be a bit confused about Acura MDX sales. Yes, YTD sales are only up 13%. However, one thing to consider is that even when the first generation MDX was in its last year of sales, it was still doing very well. The old MDX never had a large drop in sales as the model aged. Also seeing as the new MDX has a starting price pretty much where the old MDX maxed out, I don't think Acura could be happier with the sales of the new MDX. The average MDX is equipped at around $44,000. I don't think people have a problem paying close to $50,000 for an Acura so long as it suits their expectations of a $50,000 automobile. The sales figures alone say that.
Do you have the last few years sales figures to back that up? I am curious to check myself, I just haven't had the time.
People don't buy Acuras over 40k, let alone 50k outside the MDX.
NSX
any generation RL
All are sales flops and are most expensive Acuras. Sub 40k, Acura does very very well.

Old 09-06-07, 01:02 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Do you have the last few years sales figures to back that up? I am curious to check myself, I just haven't had the time.
August 2001 YTD MDX Sales: 27,139
August 2002 YTD MDX Sales: 35,104
August 2003 YTD MDX Sales: 37,028
August 2004 YTD MDX Sales: 37,952
August 2005 YTD MDX Sales: 40,176
August 2006 YTD MDX Sales: 33,377
August 2007 YTD MDX Sales: 37,792

As you can see, the MDX sales increased year upon year up until the final model year. Compare the first year of sales of the first generation MDX to the first year of sales of the second generation MDX. Not bad if you ask me.

People don't buy Acuras over 40k, let alone 50k outside the MDX.
NSX
any generation RL
All are sales flops and are most expensive Acuras. Sub 40k, Acura does very very well.
Pick one, there cannot be an exception. Either people buy expensive Acuras or they don't. The MDX cannot be an 'exception'. Any knowledgeable car person can explain why NSX sales died down after the first few years. I'm sure you also remember the Acura Legend. The Legend was a $40k+ car and it outsold the BMW 5 series. NO OTHER Japanese car in the same class as the 5-Series can claim that even today. Also don't forget that this was over a decade ago, $40k back then was not the same as $40k today.

Quick Reply: AUGUST 2007 Vehicles Sales