Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AUGUST 2007 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 07:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
August 2001 YTD MDX Sales: 27,139
August 2002 YTD MDX Sales: 35,104
August 2003 YTD MDX Sales: 37,028
August 2004 YTD MDX Sales: 37,952
August 2005 YTD MDX Sales: 40,176
August 2006 YTD MDX Sales: 33,377
August 2007 YTD MDX Sales: 37,792

As you can see, the MDX sales increased year upon year up until the final model year. Compare the first year of sales of the first generation MDX to the first year of sales of the second generation MDX. Not bad if you ask me.

Pick one, there cannot be an exception. Either people buy expensive Acuras or they don't. The MDX cannot be an 'exception'. Any knowledgeable car person can explain why NSX sales died down after the first few years. I'm sure you also remember the Acura Legend. The Legend was a $40k+ car and it outsold the BMW 5 series. NO OTHER Japanese car in the same class as the 5-Series can claim that even today. Also don't forget that this was over a decade ago, $40k back then was not the same as $40k today.
First, thanks for the data. The MDX wow, was solid in sales every year, that is fantastic. Still, I would have expected a bigger lift in sales for an all new model.

Second, okay, how about no Acura with a base MSRP over $40,000 has sold well and has turned into a flop. Don't get too defensive, it is obvious they simply cannot compete in the true luxury market, anything over the entry-level market.
The MDX again, can be priced in the 40k range but not sure how many they are and ANY SUV pretty much sells. It also is like the RX, an entry level luxury SUV.

Old 09-08-07, 09:25 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Second, okay, how about no Acura with a base MSRP over $40,000 has sold well and has turned into a flop. Don't get too defensive, it is obvious they simply cannot compete in the true luxury market, anything over the entry-level market.
The MDX again, can be priced in the 40k range but not sure how many they are and ANY SUV pretty much sells. It also is like the RX, an entry level luxury SUV.

MDX has a base MSRP over $40k.

To say that Acura "cannot" compete in the true-luxury market is just ignorant. Honda is an incredible company with amazing innovation. Acura has already stated their intent to move up-market and they have started in the right direction to meet that goal. Honda wouldn't be investing as much as it recently has in Acura only to compete in the entry-level market. No person is dumb enough to believe that. But if people need to convince themselves so, then so be it.

Most people would also agree that the MDX is in a class above the RX. The RDX is Acuras entry-level SUV.
Old 09-08-07, 10:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Acura has significant unrealized potential. IMO the MDX/RDX are sold based on technology+practicality more than traditional luxury, although the MDX in particular is rather plush, sort of like the RL as an SUV. And tech is part of luxury more these days. In a similar way the LX is sort of like an LS as an SUV. However those flagship vehicles cost a lot more.

Last edited by encore888; 09-08-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-09-07, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
MDX has a base MSRP over $40k.

To say that Acura "cannot" compete in the true-luxury market is just ignorant. Honda is an incredible company with amazing innovation. Acura has already stated their intent to move up-market and they have started in the right direction to meet that goal. Honda wouldn't be investing as much as it recently has in Acura only to compete in the entry-level market. No person is dumb enough to believe that. But if people need to convince themselves so, then so be it.

Most people would also agree that the MDX is in a class above the RX. The RDX is Acuras entry-level SUV.
You know I had a nice long write-up with links and facts and I literally laughed when it occurred to me I am arguing with someone who thinks Acura is somehow not a tier III luxury brand but a tier I brand with a vast array of products over $40,000 and the RL is a sales hit.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-09-07 at 11:59 AM.

Old 09-09-07, 05:26 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dunno what you guys are talking about.

but acura is to honda, like mercury is to ford. a little fancier, but not true lux.

get rid of the 4 cylinder car, and get a true flagship.

lux brands should not have a single 4 banger in the line up if they don't want to be laughed at.
Old 09-09-07, 06:44 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i dunno what you guys are talking about.

but acura is to honda, like mercury is to ford. a little fancier, but not true lux.

get rid of the 4 cylinder car, and get a true flagship.

lux brands should not have a single 4 banger in the line up if they don't want to be laughed at.
Your screen name says it all.
Old 09-14-07, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
[B]
Sales of the redesigned
2008 Subaru Tribeca were up 33 percent from the same month last year.

"We are pleased to see sales of the redesigned 2008 Subaru Tribeca up
one third over last year," said Tim Colbeck, vice president of sales,
Subaru of America, Inc. "With more style, more power and enhanced fuel
efficiency, our customers are finding the new Tribeca a tremendous value in
the marketplace."
LOL. Don't you just LOVE the way that auto execs bulls**t when they talk to the public?

Not a single word from him about WHY the previous Tribeca didn't sell very well.....it was U-G-L-Y.
Old 09-14-07, 11:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Hybrid car sales August 2007